Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Replacing fork springs in new T7

AirborneSilva

Question

Hi all new member/new owner, I have a 2023 T7 with less than 120 miles on it.  I ordered and received lowering springs today (I'm vertically challenged), the instructions say to pour out the oil from the tubes but if the oil is essentially brand new do I really need to drain the tubes.  If not that will make the install much easier not having to remove the forks and just R&R the springs.  Thanks - Tony

13 answers to this question

I would rather remove my forks for a spring change, but if you can do the removal and install with the forks on the bike go ahead.  No need to drain the oil if you don't want to.

• Like 1

You may want to check the fork oil level as the springs sit in the oil and new springs may displace a different amount of oil.

• Like 1

Yon don’t even need to remove the forks to replace the springs. 
I made a post either here or on Advrider how to do it. 
Takes about 15 min per side. 

Im curious how just springs could lower the bike?

Edited by mpatch

According to this website and a couple of other peeps these lower the forks/suspension by 35mm (1.37 inches).  so I'm going to give them a try and put my forks back in the stock position.

Lowering kit

I figured it out. They use a progressive spring that the first inch or two are super soft. 
Im no suspension guru but sounds questionable vs doing it the right way. 

Unless I’m confused that means your static sag will be 4 inches or so and you’ll only have 4 ish inches of actual usable travel. 

Edited by mpatch

If you don't think this is the right way then what is?  Not trying to be a smart a$$ but to me this is the right way...

Learn to ride a tall bike is my suggestion unless you are a midget. 
To properly lower a bike costs $$$ and they can only be lowered so much before ground clearance is an issue. 
You don’t need to be able to flat foot, if you can slide your ass over and flat foot one boot is all you need. 

• Like 1

I know how to ride thanks.  I'd guess you're someone who's not vertically challenged and don't have a clue so let's just call it good and move on shall me...?

I will say one more thing and then I'm done, this is why I hesitated even bringing this up, most forums have keyboard warriors that think they know everything and if it's not done their way then it just has to be wrong.  I will also say this, I belong to a classic Yamaha Enduro forum where everyone is helpful there and not judgemental and yes I have three classic Yamaha Enduro's one of which is a DT400, fairly tall and I ride that one just fine, just not used to as tall as the T7.  Ok, now I'm done with this conversation since I got my answer with out condescension.    Have a great night 😁

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

With that low usage on the forks I'd probably just drop the springs in and go.  Not really high enough time on the forks yet to even get the initial wear sludge process completed. Flush and fill later. 

Lowering thru the use of progressive springs is quite common and works perfectly well for the majority of folks.  You don't loose any more up suspension stroke than you would by using straight rate springs  and you actually gain a bit of down suspension travel compared to using a straight rate spring and internal spacer which shortens the total suspension stroke versus just move where the bike sits in the stoke.  It's not a purest way to go about it but that only matters if you're a purest. 

You didn't mention your shock. You will want to be lowering that as well because if you don't you will be making a substantial change to the bikes geometry which may have unpredictable consequences. 

By asking a question (a good one at that) you were inviting opinions.  Getting some opinions you might not like or agree with is almost a given. They are just opinions after all. FWIW in Y opinion I'd give the bike a bit more time at full height before throwing in the towel and dropping it. Not uncommon to jump on a tall bike and then discover the discomfort goes away pretty quickly. If it does you retain the advantages of the original design. If not *shrug* then swap away.  

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AirborneSilva said:

I know how to ride thanks.  I'd guess you're someone who's not vertically challenged and don't have a clue so let's just call it good and move on shall me...?

I will say one more thing and then I'm done, this is why I hesitated even bringing this up, most forums have keyboard warriors that think they know everything and if it's not done their way then it just has to be wrong.  I will also say this, I belong to a classic Yamaha Enduro forum where everyone is helpful there and not judgemental and yes I have three classic Yamaha Enduro's one of which is a DT400, fairly tall and I ride that one just fine, just not used to as tall as the T7.  Ok, now I'm done with this conversation since I got my answer with out condescension.    Have a great night 😁

Didn’t mean to come off as an ass.

Ive just seen way too many people that are either new riders or new to off road riding (spent all their time riding street bikes) that have some mental mind $%&^ about not being able to put both feet down comfortably.

How tall are you?

With suspension travel comes tall seats, there’s no way around it without making a bike that’s ergonomically messed up. 

I’d love to have a T7 with a 31” seat height and 10” of suspension travel but it’s not possible without some major compromises in comfort and rideability. 

Thank you windblown, Yes I am getting a lowering spring for the rear shock.  Currently I have lowering links on but would rather go the spring route.

I agree when asking a question you will get different opinions on it but when someone starts being an ass and insulting then that's when I take offense.  Keyboard commandos just get to me, there's no reason for it.  Thank you again for the intelligent answer.

• Like 1