Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

5th gear whine/squeal/whistle noise

wally

My 2021 T7 with around 4000km on the clock (bought new just under 12 months ago) has and issue I describe as is a whistle, whine or squeal noise noticeable only in 5th gear, when rolling or the throttle is off the noise is very quiet or not noticeable, however when accelerating or the throttle is on the noise is always present. I have noticed this since new, however I believe it has gradually got louder.

The dealer has done extensive fault finding on all external components and workings of the bike that could be causing the whistle/ squeal type of noise which is present only in 5th gear. I understand the oil has been changed, wheel bearings replaced, rear sprocket bearing replaced, wind screen height adjusted. However none of this external changes have made a difference. 

Yamaha are now say that I take the bike back and continue to ride it to see if this eventuates into an issue or if its just a characteristic of the bike !? And the only other option is that the internals are opened up for inspection.  I have several concerns with the issue being a mystery. 

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, wally said:

My 2021 T7 with around 4000km on the clock (bought new just under 12 months ago) has and issue I describe as is a whistle, whine or squeal noise noticeable only in 5th gear, when rolling or the throttle is off the noise is very quiet or not noticeable, however when accelerating or the throttle is on the noise is always present. I have noticed this since new, however I believe it has gradually got louder.

The dealer has done extensive fault finding on all external components and workings of the bike that could be causing the whistle/ squeal type of noise which is present only in 5th gear. I understand the oil has been changed, wheel bearings replaced, rear sprocket bearing replaced, wind screen height adjusted. However none of this external changes have made a difference. 

Yamaha are now say that I take the bike back and continue to ride it to see if this eventuates into an issue or if its just a characteristic of the bike !? And the only other option is that the internals are opened up for inspection.  I have several concerns with the issue being a mystery. 

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

Sounds like they tried everything easy in the faint hope the issue was not the obvious - Something is up in the gearbox that rears it's head when the bike it in 5th gear. Not opening it up for inspection only leaves one possible cure - hoping the gears mate and stop singing at some point. If your dealer also acknowledges the presence of the noise what is the hold up on getting it resolved? Yamaha? Or your reluctance to have the gearbox looked at? 

Just trying to understand where all the players are at.

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

Maybe carve open your oil filter and unravel the paper membrane at next change to look for metal fragments. I opened mine at second oil / filter swap from new. There was some iron dust in there, (normal for a bedding in engine as the cylinder bores run in), and a few very small aluminium flakes, (again, normal for a new engine). Any steel fragments would be a cause for concern. Mind your fingers if carving open the oil filter.

• Thanks 1

Very hard to troubleshoot a noise on the internet.

A lot of people complain about the noise the drive chain idler bearing (Tensioner) thing makes... 

Maybe just pop it off and have a go...

At minimum, you can check it off the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

It could be induction noise.  Maybe a exhaust leak.  It could be your helmet, tires etc.  Anything really.  How do you know it is the gearbox?

• Thanks 1

I would probably try a different brand of oil and see if it changes. If it does it's internal.  That's fairly easy and cheap to do. We've all seen lots of reports over the years with different bikes and whacky issues with shifting and noise related to oil. Ya just never know... 

• Thanks 1

If it was me I'd stick it on a dyno and run it up to 7000+ RPM and walk away for an hour or so.  If it was still making an odd noise after that I'd sell it, or push it off a cliff, after removing all the fruit of course.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your comments.

@Windblown Yamaha is reluctant to open up the gearbox. However they have said that if I am unhappy to wait until it “becomes a warrantable issue” or if its is “just a characteristic of the bike” then they can do an internal inspection and fix anything found under warranty. But they have also said that if nothing is found that I’d be charged for labour and consumables?!?!

@Dave D The dealer has already changed the oil and did not find any signs of metal fragments.

@Hibobb The dealer has already done extensive fault finding on everything external they can think of including; the oil has been changed, wheel bearings replaced, rear sprocket bearing replaced, wind screen height adjusted etc.

@katana I don’t know it’s the gearbox, however the noise is 100% only there in 5th gear, confirmed by the dealer. They say it could be a harmonic thing that only 5th gear creates, however surely the same frequency would get generated in 4th or 6th gears at some RPM right?

This old forum post on a Super Tenere I found from 2011 sounds exactly like my issue, what do you all think of this?

Original post: https://yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?threads/5th-gear-whine.1207/ 

Update (on page 1): https://yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?threads/5th-gear-whine.1207/post-62130 

Outcome (on page 2): https://yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?threads/5th-gear-whine.1207/post-63809 

I wish my bike would always make the same noise (s).  Ride it.  Yamaha will stand by their product if there is a latent issue.  Except for a different gear set in the box, 5th only changes the speed.  Earplugs are wonderful.

• Thanks 1

Good luck op. Sounds like you just have to decide if the noise warrants having the dealer dive in knowing that if nothing is found you might get charged. With the noise complaint noted and reported to Yamaha I think I'd be tempted to just ride the heck out of for now. If it gets really bad the dealer will probably change their tune with Yamaha. Without hearing it it's not possible for us on the internet to offer much other than sympathy. 

When someone posts an issue that sounds "normal" by those familiar with a specific bike or unusual and not heard of previously about a specific bike, there is a strong tendency to discount the report and assume the person reporting the issue has become a bit over sensitized to something about the bike.  Often it's true and there is nothing actually wrong.  However... I recall  a newer member in another forum with a new bike that was concerned about excessive valvetrain/camchain noise.  All the members well familiar with the bike told the op not to worry and let him know the bike had a noisy valve train by nature.  A month later the op posted photos of his bike in pieces at the dealer with a wiped out cam... So much for assumptions.

So op, I hear you. 🙂

A specific sound only heard in one specific gear and the sound is in no way speed or rpm related - It sure sounds like an issue related specifically to 5th gear on your bike to e and that's not normal, not for this bike or any other than I am aware of.  I hope the noise fades or becomes so obvious the dealer goes to bat for you with Yamaha. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah @katana only good thing is for me I guess, is that the noise is always there.

I can also confirm that the noise does stop when you pull the clutch in. I had never tried this, but asked the dealer if they tried and they said it does.

Thanks for your comments again @Windblown.

I've got a few people on Facebook saying that their bike also makes this noise, but haven't found anyone who has had it addressed yet.

For such a great bike I am surprised that Yamaha isn't keen on investigating this problem and resolving it.

The only reason I advise riding it is because you informed your dealer.  It took me almost 6 years to find a humming noise on a Aprilia Pegasso.  It turned out to be a weld piece in a pipe that held the fairing.  For the longest time I waited for something to break. 

• Like 1

If it stops when pulling the clutch you might try to pull the clutch plates and soke them in oil overnight.

• Like 1

has there been any discussion of this issue on the MT-07 forums or owners groups.

wonder is it an engine or model specific noise.

if its only the T7 then maybe its just a strange noise from the drive train combination

Also maybe try a different weight oil, slightly lower weight to help lube discs better

also check clutch engagement, maybe the clutch is slipping ever so slightly in high gear under lot of power.

Edited by john_aero
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have the same sound in fifth gear. When I decelerate is when that whistle will appear and if I press the clutch it disappears.
Has anyone found the solution?

Yamaha Tenere 700 (june/2020 -- 3400km)

Edited by jolusadev

Hey Jolusadev, I had my bike in with the dealer for 2 months at the start of the year. The dealer had the same conclusion that the noise goes away when you pull the clutch in.

Yamaha Australia basically said they don't classify it as a warrantable issue at this time and that pulling down the gearbox to investigate further would be at my expense if the cause of the noise is not found, so I decided to leave it as is for the time being.

The noise still annoys me, so it would be great if anyone has managed to get to the bottom of the issue and have had Yamaha fix it.

4 minutes ago, jolusadev said:

I have the same sound in fifth gear. When I decelerate is when that whistle will appear and if I press the clutch it disappears.
Has anyone found the solution?

Yamaha Tenere 700 (june/2020)