Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Two new T7 models?

Danrides

Good scouting. Weird. It’s not on the uk site. I suppose France is the spiritual home of the tenere. Looks good. Hopefully they’ll make the suspension available as an upgrade, and we can pick and choose from the list to suit our needs. I’m sure if lower suspension was available there would be quite a few shorter riders interested. I think both of these will sell well. 

BD22D2FA-6B8B-46C7-A987-7748290841BE.png

CAC7F564-E26E-4803-845E-110D81FFDCD3.png

441291FA-A7CD-4120-8A3B-B6D60143CEA6.png

Edited by Dougie

The Xtreme version is very appealing!  Especially with the tft screen!  That could be a future upgrade to mine some years down the road. Too bad we'll likely never see it in the states. 

The quick shifter should please a fair few people. 
I’ve been playing on the Yamaha garage app. Had to select France to get the new models though. 

6DB3F95C-E3E2-4D14-ADC9-1686C7754A8D.png

92DE2F58-D777-43C9-971E-51EF6C1ABD74.png

I think Yamaha made a brilliant move by bringing a modern no frills ADV bike in the mid displacement range to market as it was a market niche basically devoid of competition.  The much loved CP2 engine without modification was a perfect match to keep price down but it did come with a hidden cost, or limitation more accurately - seat height.   

I'm not as impressed with Yamahas move to slide into the more "posh" market.  Yeah the 230/220 suspension with Kashma coated forks sounds sweet but that's still not a top of the heap suspension stroke and it is likely to come with a nose bleed seat height given the deep sump on the CP2. Furthermore unless Yamaha has worked out a secret that has eluded the after market players this 230mm stoke T7 is likely to suffer the increased top heavy feeling many who have gone that route with the existing chassis have already talked about (in mostly hushed tones). 

But I'm not a marketing wizz, might be the perfect makeover? We'll see. I just don't think a tall T700 on the existing motor/chassis combo is going to stack up all that great to the competition. Hope I'm wrong because I keep eyeing a longer stoke suspension for mine. 🙂

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 3

Going to be a beast with a rally seat on. 950mm seat height. Desert racers only need apply I think. Now where did I put my sparkly  glam rock platform boots and evel knievel cape?

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Windblown said:

I think Yamaha made a brilliant move by bringing a modern no frills ADV bike in the mid displacement range to market as it was a market niche basically devoid of competition.  The much loved CP2 engine without modification was a perfect match to keep price down but it did come with a hidden cost, or limitation more accurately - seat height.   

I'm not as impressed with Yamahas move to slide into the more "posh" market.  Yeah the 230/220 suspension with Kashma coated forks sounds sweet but that's still not a top of the heap suspension stroke and it is likely to come with a nose bleed seat height given the deep sump on the CP2. Furthermore unless Yamaha has worked out a secret that has eluded the after market players this 230mm stoke T7 is likely to suffer the increased top heavy feeling many who have gone that route with the existing chassis have already talked about (in mostly hushed tones). 

But I'm not a marketing wizz, might be the perfect makeover? We'll see. I just don't think a tall T700 on the existing motor/chassis combo is going to stack up all that great to the competition. Hope I'm wrong because I keep eyeing a longer stoke suspension for mine. 🙂

I'm running 235mm travel on the fork and 225 on the rear, with properly set sag.

There is zero difference in terms of "top heaviness". The only difference I can feel is the added seat height. And I'm usually "the princess and the pea", meaning I'm very sensitive regarding any kind of change in ergonomics.

I'm not totally sure if they use the +4cm rally seat on the extreme model. The seat profile looks a bit different on the photos imho.

In general, both new models are a good move imho!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tenerider said:

I'm running 235mm travel on the fork and 225 on the rear, with properly set sag.

There is zero difference in terms of "top heaviness". The only difference I can feel is the added seat height. And I'm usually "the princess and the pea", meaning I'm very sensitive regarding any kind of change in ergonomics.

I'm not totally sure if they use the +4cm rally seat on the extreme model. The seat profile looks a bit different on the photos imho.

In general, both new models are a good move imho!

Good to hear a counter point on the suspension height.  I might also be immune to the difference as I really don't feel the T7 in std trim is in anyway top heavy, at least no in comparison to some of the other "ADV" bikes I've ridden.

I wouldn't want to make the T7 more top heavy feeling. I'm running 270mm suspension on my 790 and it made the bike feel a bit top heavier in slow technical terrain which is what I've heard others mention bout the T7 when lifted. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Good to hear a counter point on the suspension height.  I might also be immune to the difference as I really don't feel the T7 in std trim is in anyway top heavy, at least no in comparison to some of the other "ADV" bikes I've ridden.

I wouldn't want to make the T7 more top heavy feeling. I'm running 270mm suspension on my 790 and it made the bike feel a bit top heavier in slow technical terrain which is what I've heard others mention bout the T7 when lifted. 

I also was a bit worried if this would happen. Teknikmotorsport.com from Oz had different T7 suspension options tested together with, I think, RideADV. They stated the raised suspension on my own Tractive kit did "upset the feel of the sweet handling T7", referring to the raised COG (see here, well worth reading it:

I disagree and think it's mostly (if not purely) a psychological thing.

With correctly set sag, the additional height is about 15-20mm. I found all other possible changes to affect the handling MUCH more, like rising or lowering the forks in the triple clamps by 2mm.

In fact, although I can't really flatfoot any more with 93,5 cm inner leg length (wearing 34" inseam jeans), I prefer the added height because now I'm always in contact with the seat at standstill. This actually stabilizes the bike better than having both feet on the ground for me.

The 790 Adventure came in 3 different versions with 200/240/270mm travel right? This is quite a big range imho.

4 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I only feel the top heavy part when i roll it backwards out of my garage.

Completely true.

On 2/26/2023 at 12:14 AM, Dougie said:

Going to be a beast with a rally seat on. 950mm seat height. Desert racers only need apply I think. Now where did I put my sparkly  glam rock platform boots and evel knievel cape?

image.png.360ad2782193b3991ac7c7c21ee364ca.png

• Haha 1

It's nice that they are making new models but I wonder how many people will actually be able to ride that bike with it's 910mm seat height. I guess most will put on the standard seat at least. It does seem like Yamaha is kind of running into limits of the current T7 design when trying to give it more travel, like @Windblown has pointed out.

The lower version on the other hand does seem like a good idea. 

For me the one thing I would  really like to see is them making the exhaust hanger a replacable part. It would show that they care. 

I am still perfectly happy with my 2019 (especially since nothing changed) but I would probably not consider a new one as long that hanger is still there as it is. 🤓

Especially when the bike is going into premium price category.

But maybe it's legally a difficult change to make for them, since it's part of the frame. They might have to trough a lot of hassle for it, who knows. 🤔

• Like 1

German website lists them - the mentioned "flat rallye seat" has +20mm padding, so it's most likely the old "comfort seat" which had disappeared from the accessory list recently.

Radiator guard and aluminium chain guard are included as well.

Source: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/de/de/news/two-new-tenere-700-models-for-2023/

The extreme version,  it would be cooler if it came with knobbies from the factory.

Edited by Toymaster

7 hours ago, Toymaster said:

The extreme version,  it would be cooler if it came with knobbies from the factory.

True! Especially since Yamaha explicitly lists at least the Anakee Wild in my manual as a recommended tire. It's no knobby, but closer to one as the STR.

Let's be honest: This Extreme edition is capable of offroad riding, but it doesn't mean its buyers (can only speak of Germany!) will actually ride it offroad. I myself am guilty of making my T7 as offroad capable as reasonably possible - but I only ride offroad a few times a year.

I really think a lot buyers will want it because it says extreme and has cooler sounding specs.

Some friends of mine ride ATs and keep mentioning its great offroad abilities. They are running stock tyres (99/1 street- biased, forgot the model) and haven't ever driven even a smooth gravel road.

I guess there's more of that kind out there. So the STRs make sense from that perspective. Look quite offroad-ish and definitely work very very well on tarmac...