Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Here to Learn

rndlmn4

I’m a T7 Hopeful! I’ve been adventure riding a 2007 V-Storm 650 since 2012. It’s a good reliable bike, but I recognize its limitations when riding off-pavement. Even with a good selection of mods and upgrades for ADV riding, it’s not in the same league as the T7, Africa Twin, Tuareg, and definitely not any of the orange Adventurer models. I’ve been on group ADV rides, with folks riding everything, including BMW GSA1250, BMW GS850, Ducati Multistrada, Triumph Tiger, Moto Guzzi V85, KTM 690-890-990-1090-1190, Honda Africa Twin, Yamaha Super Tenere, Tenere 700, and of course other V-Storms. From what I’ve seen, I’m definitely a middleweight bike rider. 

I’ve been impressed with everything I’ve read or watched regarding the Tenere 700. I’m exploring information about upgrades, ownership, maintenance, and most importantly, riding impressions. I like the T7’s minimalistic approach to electronics and rider aids. I come from a dirt bike background, and you saw what I’ve been on for ADV riding. The only rider-aid I’ve had in years, is a Rekluse clutch. Having said that, there’s nothing about the Tenere 700 that I consider a deal breaker - including tubed tires - compared to what I’ve experienced already. 

The only challenger the T7 may have for space in my garage, is the new V-Storm 800DE. And that, would be highly influenced by my history as a V-Storm cult member. I’m waiting for some good riding impression videos of the 800DE, such as something from Big Rock Moto. Regardless, I’m not beyond hope, as I have owned several Yamahas over the years and still have a place in my heart for the “Tuning Fork” product line. My last two dirt bikes were KTM 2-stroke XCW models. I have too much orange riding gear to disregard them as a brand, but being an old retired guy (whaaaa… fixed income, sob sob), the price point is kind of steep. 

I don’t have any T7 knowledge at this point, but if there’s a question about something more general, where my years of experience could be helpful, I’ll chime in. I don’t want to just lurk and not participate, but I promise to make my contributions positive.

Edited by rndlmn4
Typo, grammar
  • Like 1

That's a great attitude and very generous intro! 

I'm sure we'll come up with some stupid and silly questions that you can chime in on soon 😛