Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Jimmy Lewis / DBT T7 VLOG

Jimmy Lewis

I've been doing a step-by-step series on some of my mods and times with the T7, hopefully the form will find it helpful and have some input as I go along...

TenereBuild_04.png

The complete series of our Tenere Tuned series, where Jimmy Lewis modifies our Yamaha Tenere 700 and makes it a more capable ADV bike.

• Like 7

I have been following the series and have enjoyed them.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Jimmy Lewis Welcome to the forum.  Enjoying the series and good to have you on board here.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks Jimmy, you're a valued T7 Tribe member!

I too will follow your series and learn a ton. I'm eyeing your April Calandar (I'm on the mailing list, so I do get the updates), to incorporate one of your Weekend Courses into a SoCal - Utah - Death Valley trip,  for sure I hope to meet you in person.

And took a little off today - the first to leave bite-marks. Other than a bruised ankle and ego  I got away lightly.

Cheers 

Edited by thepointchris
typo
  • Like 1

Whoa, THE Jimmy Lewis has joined our ranks as a T7 owner? Outstanding!   👍

I've been following and enjoying your exploits since at least your Cycle World days a couple of decades ago, and look forward to this latest chapter.  

• Like 2

Jimmy, I remember you saying something like "don't worry about it, we don't ride motorcycles with our feet on the ground"

Barely can tippy toe my new T7,  it is intimidating, because I ride on the street as well.  

Fix me.  Love love the bike.

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

36 minutes ago, chadio said:

Fix me

You can fix yourself. Remember that offroad the surface is never flat so chance is big one side is too far away even when you can flatfoot the bike.
Now start making it a habit just using one foot all the time with the other foot on the peg. Because the foot on the peg is higher it's already quite natural to slide one cheek down so your other foot can reach the ground more easily.
To manipulate the tilt to the side of wich foot you want to use turn the handlebar the other way just before standstill.

The preferable foot on the ground is the left, then you can use the rear brake in case you are on a hill. Using the front brake for that might cause crooked rotors and it's also way easier to start uphill by using the rear brake.
But for practising switch sides to get comfortable with either side because you never know on which side the next hole is.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2023 at 8:10 AM, chadio said:

Jimmy, I remember you saying something like "don't worry about it, we don't ride motorcycles with our feet on the ground"

Barely can tippy toe my new T7,  it is intimidating, because I ride on the street as well.  

Fix me.  Love love the bike.

We have our class schedule up on our website and I won't kid you the answer you are looking for is in our BEGINNER Online class we have available. That ishow important we feel the "touching the ground" issue is. I can't touch with both feet on my setup.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice gentlemen!   Makes me think of the days that I got into riding trials,  circa '94 ish to '99 ish.  It was a challenge and that was the big reason that I was into it.  Picking up a trials bike was easy, the T7 is a different story....  already dropped it once and needed help to pick it up.

Once in motion,  the Tenere is such an absolute gem of a bike!!!  I feel like I am king of the world when riding  it.  Medicine for the mind.....  and the sound is total ear - candy.

Riding an ADV bike is the challenge for me now (some of you as well I presume) and I keep my eyes on the prize.  Very much appreciate the instruction and support.

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid