Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 review/compare to DRZ or similar

jason2002

I've been reading T7 reviews here for 2 years and currently I have a deposit down on a 2023 T7. I'm curious to hear reviews or perspective from anyone who went from a smaller dual sport bike (similar to DRZ) to the T700. I can't afford to have two bikes, so I need to choose between the well-modified DRZ400S and this Tenere. I've never owned a bike larger than a KLR650 and I've never ridden any KTMs etc.

I know the T7 is far superior on pavement and fast gravel, but I'm worried that the T7 will make more technical terrain (bad 4x4 roads or loose rocky stuff that people on big bikes avoid) really unpleasant compared to the DRZ or other small DS bikes I've ridden. I do like that the DRZ is usually manageable in any offroad situation.

I'm an average offroad rider, 6'5" and 225lbs. I live in Central Oregon with easy access to a lot of desert riding, dirt roads, and my long term interest is really focused on longer distance ADV-style riding and camping. The DRZ will do everything kind of okay, but it does everything, which is why I'm hesitating. 

Just curious to hear review/opinions from anyone has made this kind of jump in platforms --I can be okay losing single track capacity if T7 performance is an upgrade in other categories. Thanks!

• Like 1

Totally depends on your skill and the difficulty of terrain. I went from 3 years on a DRZ400SM with knobbies to the T7. I kept the DRZ insured and in the garage for the first season I owned the T7 thinking I would still ride it…didn’t touch it once. Threw the T7 at (almost) everything I threw the DRZ at and it did surprisingly well. Yes, you might have to give up a few of your gnarlier single track routes but you’ll have a blast pushing the limits on the T7 and you’ll be able to ride further and access more distant trails than before because of the touring capability of the T7. That’s been my experience at least.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jason2002 said:

I'm an average offroad rider, 6'5" and 225lbs

I would call you more of a gorilla, than average! The T7 is heavy to pick up but I don't see you having any problems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I put 12k miles on a DR-Z400S. Some long ass days on pavement and some long ass days in the woods. They are pretty much indestructible.  

5 hours ago, Samm said:

Totally depends on your skill and the difficulty of terrain. I went from 3 years on a DRZ400SM with knobbies to the T7. I kept the DRZ insured and in the garage for the first season I owned the T7 thinking I would still ride it…didn’t touch it once. Threw the T7 at (almost) everything I threw the DRZ at and it did surprisingly well. Yes, you might have to give up a few of your gnarlier single track routes but you’ll have a blast pushing the limits on the T7 and you’ll be able to ride further and access more distant trails than before because of the touring capability of the T7. That’s been my experience at least.

The post from @Samm sums it up.  The DRZ is s fine bike but with your size you should have zero problems adapting to the heft of the T7 and I suspect you will absolutely love the new places it can get you to.   Budget money for a suspension upgrade and tall seat though, you're a wee bit bigger than average.  

I've ridden many places in many states on bigger bikes that I may have enjoyed more had I been riding a 250.  However I still had an awesome time and saw stuff I'd have never seen if I would have had to ride a small bike half way across the country to see it. 

Tossing a dirt bike into a truck is just a drive to a ride. Riding across country on pavement is just a long trip. Adventure requires packing up and leaving home on two wheels, eating miles, eating dust, being cold, being hot, being wet, embracing solitude and a few oh-shyt moments, and then basking in small triumphs and gazing upon beauty that few will ever put in the work to see...  If you get it, you get it.

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Windblown said:

Tossing a dirt bike into a truck is just a drive to a ride. Riding across country on pavement is just a long trip. Adventure requires packing up and leaving home on two wheels, eating miles, eating dust, being cold, being hot, being wet, embracing solitude and a few oh-shyt moments, and then basking in small triumphs and gazing upon beauty that few will ever put in the work to see...  If you get it, you get it.

There you go -- amen

5 hours ago, Samm said:

Threw the T7 at (almost) everything I threw the DRZ at and it did surprisingly well.

Thanks for the feedback. Outside of reliability and durability the DRZ isn't a standout performer in any specific way, but I really value it's versatility and want to keep flexibility for desert missions.

I'd also be interested in peoples opinions if they would choose the Yamaha Kodiak 450 ATV or the Ford Raptor? 

• Haha 1

If you've been on a KLR650, then you were practically already on a Tenere; albeit way slower and a bit lower. The new KLR is 3lb heavier and the older KLRs are only 40lb lighter than our T7s. Not exactly a monumental difference there. They are both a good bit lower in the seat than a Tenere though. Your being as tall as you are, that shouldn't be an issue.
Coming from your DRZ shouldn't be an issue. I made a similar transition from my 320lb XL600R. I take my Tenere over all sorts of rough and/or unmaintained roads. I've only turned back twice because something was too rough. One had a 2ft ledge to go up and the other had about a 18 inch wide path that was flat-ish with a 4ft deep washout on the left and a 100+ft drop on the right. Really, if you can run a DRZ through it, you can probably manage the Tenere too. Both are tall. Both are kind of top-heavy. The extra 120lb for the Tenere is only problematic when it's laying on its side, which isn't where you want it anyway. 😬

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

I have had x2 DRZ400E bikes, know what i found them to be perfect dual sport bike. however just so ugly thats why sold them.

however as a do it all trail bike they are great, light, powerful and reliable.

May not be as light as a modern enduro however it can and will do everything a new enduro will do, maybe not come first thats all.

15 hours ago, jason2002 said:

I've been reading T7 reviews here for 2 years and currently I have a deposit down on a 2023 T7. I'm curious to hear reviews or perspective from anyone who went from a smaller dual sport bike (similar to DRZ) to the T700. I can't afford to have two bikes, so I need to choose between the well-modified DRZ400S and this Tenere. I've never owned a bike larger than a KLR650 and I've never ridden any KTMs etc.

I know the T7 is far superior on pavement and fast gravel, but I'm worried that the T7 will make more technical terrain (bad 4x4 roads or loose rocky stuff that people on big bikes avoid) really unpleasant compared to the DRZ or other small DS bikes I've ridden. I do like that the DRZ is usually manageable in any offroad situation.

I'm an average offroad rider, 6'5" and 225lbs. I live in Central Oregon with easy access to a lot of desert riding, dirt roads, and my long term interest is really focused on longer distance ADV-style riding and camping. The DRZ will do everything kind of okay, but it does everything, which is why I'm hesitating. 

Just curious to hear review/opinions from anyone has made this kind of jump in platforms --I can be okay losing single track capacity if T7 performance is an upgrade in other categories. Thanks!

Just sent you a PM. I'm also in Oregon and would be happy to share my thoughts on the T7 vs. a smaller, lighter bike. I also own a WR250R. Seems like you understand the potential benefits of the T7 over the DRZ and short of owning both, it's really matter of what type of riding you want to optimize for. 

As a fellow rider of your exact same height and weight, I can say that while it's no enduro bike, I find myself really enjoying riding it offroad, once I got the feel for it. You'll also be pleased to find that it feels like a dirtbike made for your size; riding my KTM I feel like I am riding a mini-bike that I am sitting way up on top of, which takes a while to adjust back to after getting comfy on the Yamaha. I can't ride my Tenere as fast as I can ride my KTM 450, but I'd say I have just about as much fun on either bike, for different reasons.

Until you get stuck in the mud and have to lug the bike around, then you regret the weight lol. 

38 minutes ago, Larson627 said:

Until you get stuck in the mud and have to lug the bike around, then you regret the weight lol. 

I do like to ride solo -- maybe I'd start carrying stuff for a Z drag 

23 hours ago, jason2002 said:

I do like to ride solo -- maybe I'd start carrying stuff for a Z drag 

I spent a weekend with a buddy that rides a GS, we got that bike stuck in the mud. THAT needs a Z drag. I was probably in physical danger from trying to muscle that thing backwards through slop on an 80 degree day. The Tenere on stock tires was a handful but not an issue. Never mind the downed tree I convinced him we should stack logs to get over... 

683224E1-66C4-4CCB-B413-94A98646ACAF.jpeg

Edited by Larson627
  • Like 2

A DRz400 was one of my previous off-road bikes for several years (replaced by a DR650 prior to the T7), and I also agree that @Sammnailed the reply with his post comparing DRz and T7. 

On 3/3/2023 at 11:24 AM, Larson627 said:

I spent a weekend with a buddy that rides a GS, we got that bike stuck in the mud. THAT needs a Z drag. I was probably in physical danger from trying to muscle that thing backwards through slop on an 80 degree day. The Tenere on stock tires was a handful but not an issue. Never mind the downed tree I convinced him we should stack logs to get over... 

683224E1-66C4-4CCB-B413-94A98646ACAF.jpeg

Off topic I know, but regarding a GS stuck in mud that's the time to take advantage of those big jugs on the Boxer engine. I was alone exploring in the woods when my GS got stuck after its new Dunlop Mission rear tire became a slick and I came to a halt. Laid the bike on its side, grabbed the front tire and spun it around using the cylinder as a pivot point. Righted the bike when the rear was out of the worst of the muck and rode it out of there. The GS is gone now as it sat in the corner more and more while I was spending all my time on the T7. 

20200320_121206.jpg.99d9298216906deee3a198dcb25945e8.jpg20200320_123207.jpg.8626459862d053ed4390cc5c3bee7389.jpg20200320_123215.jpg.a6652853e6f720118f4a4095d668ca5b.jpg 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jdub53 said:

Laid the bike on its side, grabbed the front tire and spun it around using the cylinder as a pivot point.

Those GS cylinder heads definitely seem like an advantage when you drop one of those monsters

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jason2002 said:

Those GS cylinder heads definitely seem like an advantage when you drop one of those monsters

That and easy valve clearance checks!

I really think you should consider budgeting for multiple bikes. I think too many get trapped into the idea of making a do-anything-machine. My biased opinion says get a T7. My follow up biased suggestion is get a street legal ktm 350 for serious offroad.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, roy826 said:

I own both and they each have their own place and time.

I now have a decent amount of singletrack miles on the T7 and in terms of dirt capability there is great overlap between the two, but the T7 is harder to keep upright on technical or loose low speed trails (because of weight) and I notice less clearance under the skid plate. But jeez the T7 is so much fun on pavement and much more stable doing gravel roads and washboard at high speeds.

• Like 2