Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

MT300 based Tenere ?

RoyFrance

I parked next to an MT03 yesterday with my T7.

And it got me thinking why doesn't Yamaha create a T3 ?

The MT03 is 168kg, and has 50bhp in a reliable road engine.

Get that down to around 150kg and 50hp, in a smaller Tenere style and it could be a winner.

• Like 5

If they take that out to a 400 twin, it would be truly awesome, but even at 300cc, 50hp and 150kgs it would sell like hot cakes. They should start with a simple trail bike with good suspension and fuel range, and let riders pimp it to what they want.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RoyFrance said:

I parked next to an MT03 yesterday with my T7.

And it got me thinking why doesn't Yamaha create a T3 ?

The MT03 is 168kg, and has 50bhp in a reliable road engine.

Get that down to around 150kg and 50hp, in a smaller Tenere style and it could be a winner.

Sadly that wouldn’t be the case. If Yamaha made a T3 it would be heavier than the MT03, not lighter. The MT07 weighs 184kg, the T7 weighs 204kg. 

A 400cc Twin lightweight adventure motorcycle, with long travel suspension & long service intervals - UNICORN!!

Makes me wonder why manufacturers do not go ahead with it, I am pretty sure they have had designs and project ideas floating around, but none that make it to production.

KTM started testing the 400-500cc parallel twin adventure motorcycle and then shelved the project in favour of developing a replacement twin for the 690 instead.

They for sure as heck have reasons not to pursue the unicorn, but what is the reason???? 

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

It’s not possible is the jist of it. 
Sub 400 pounds for a multi cylinder adventure type bike is a pipe dream.

It seems there is a gap that’s not possible to manufacture and keep it at a price that people would pay and they know that. 

• Like 1

How about a street legal 450CC version of the WR25oR?  Yamaha made the Wr450F street legal in Australia  for quite some time.  I ask the PNW area Yamaha for years to please follow up with Yamaha to see if they would  carb comply that bike for the US market.  This was WAY before all the  Husky's and KTM's were being plated .  Yamaha does what they do,  just like Honda.  Makes NO since most of the time to us peasants that buy their bikes.   They should do a better job asking the market what the market is wanting to purchase.  Ultra light weight street legal ADV bike with YZ450 FX inspired suspension. Rear shock with remote preload adjustment.    Full subframe so we can bolt up a rear luggage rack and or side cases.  Extended oil changes compared to a YZ and a comfortable seat.  ABS with the option to switch off completely or at minimum switch off the rear.  

This has already been beat to death like a oil or tire thread.   It would just be nice if a manufacturer would just try to look 2-3 years into the future.  Honda is KILLING it with their 300 dual sport in the market.  I think that Husky and the KTM 500's are killer bikes but dont near offer Yamaha reliability.

My 2 cents, if it matters.    Yamaha, are you listening?  AMAZON does, 24/7.   LOL!!!

A lightweight long suspension travel adventure bike does exist.

The icon of adventure has been developed. New specs and features come together with AJP's Adventure heritage.

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

The icon of adventure has been developed. New specs and features come together with AJP's Adventure heritage.

Show me a real weight not the games they used to play 20 years ago. 

I briefly looked but couldn't find it what's the pre fuel ready to ride weight?

Edited by mpatch

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

That's like smelling  fresh bake cookies.  The AJP 600 is almost exactly like I described above.  

There used to be a T3, or at least a XTZ250. It was made in Brazil. I don't think it's sold any more.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings