Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Our ride videos

random1781

Well, we're taking a stab at making videos, so I figured I'd post them here. Trying to make stuff that people are actually interested in, so feedback is welcome. That includes roasts of riding technique - nothing is sacred here.

• Like 9

advgoats.com

Very nice!

Huge respect!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I like how graceful Surak is when bailing out from a bike drop.  Nice videos! 

• Like 1

OK, I didn't give you any feedback before, so here I go.

I like fairly short videos, maybe 10 minutes or so, and they can't be boring.

Bigger adventure can be broken into parts 1, 2, 3, ...ect so I can come back to them later or just send the best parts to my buddies.

I like action (like Cory's stuff, and yours). No need to post installing your accessory lights (Unless it labeled as a specific instructional video that I can ignore)

Having the dog is cool. DO NOT post one of him ever getting hurt or I will blacklist you!

Having da wife with you is cool, I liked her digging you out of the rock (Good Catch, where do I get one)!

Grunting, swearing, and occasional commentary adds a lot to the video (but not incessant/continuous babbling)

Drone videos are nice, you ride some great area.

Please give a general idea of the location of the videos, to help guys plan trips

OK, these are just my thoughts... I am a crabby old guy and may not reflect the views of generation X, Y, Z that will soon be replacing me (and bring the end to civilization as we know it)

Bob

PS, Ride videos are interesting, selling crap is not.  Be honest....

Cory became the coolest guy on the planet when he didn't mix the two. His riding adventures are epic.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 3

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Thanks for the input @Hibobb and @DuncMan, super helpful. I've never been one to put stuff out there, and while I like the technical side of it, I'm not really creative. I don't really have a vested interested in racking up views, but at the same time having some kind of purpose keeps things in focus. we've watched our share of motorcycle videos, so it feels a bit like giving back, as long as they're enjoyable. I figure starting off short is probably for the better.

Fortunately the only injury Surak (the dog) has had over his five years of riding is a some cactus from roaming the desert and carpet burn. A previous iteration of his seat was upholstered with carpet, with the thought that he would be able to grip it, but that was not the case on rockier terrain! His well-being is very much my main focus, and whenever the going gets really rough, I'll have him hop down and run along.

How's this for context of where we are? Trying to balance that relevance without those intros that I agree are really annoying.

• Like 2

advgoats.com

@random1781 LOVED the start of this video, super cool!

Video's never capture the steepness of the hills, but the engine working, you slipping the clutch, and your breathing tell the rest of the story.

Drone work was excellent!

I have watched it three four times now.... Well Done!!

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 2

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators

@random1781 Bravo, nice job on the video and riding.  I ride the same type of terrain and see we both sport the bulletproof Gut Guard from @Camel ADV.  Nice to support our forum vendors by trying to break their stuff!

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

9 hours ago, AZJW said:

@random1781 Bravo, nice job on the video and riding.  I ride the same type of terrain and see we both sport the bulletproof Gut Guard from @Camel ADV.  Nice to support our forum vendors by trying to break their stuff!

That Gut Guard has seen some stuff...

PXL_20230209_001259588_MP.jpg.66d0f3a0de07e548243a7ad65274f946.jpg

The Fix brake lever is untouched, despite the fact that I seem to generally favor falling on my right side.

10 hours ago, Hibobb said:

@random1781 LOVED the start of this video, super cool!

Video's never capture the steepness of the hills, but the engine working, you slipping the clutch, and your breathing tell the rest of the story.

Drone work was excellent!

I have watched it three four times now.... Well Done!!

Thank you! That was a fun one with oddly perfect pacing. It was longer, but there were islands of level terrain to reset on.

• Like 2

advgoats.com

On 3/7/2023 at 9:59 AM, Hibobb said:

Bigger adventure can be broken into parts 1, 2, 3, ...ect so I can come back to them later or just send the best parts to my buddies.

I like action (like Cory's stuff, and yours). No need to post installing your accessory lights (Unless it labeled as a specific instructional video that I can ignore)

Having the dog is cool. DO NOT post one of him ever getting hurt or I will blacklist you!

Having da wife with you is cool, I liked her digging you out of the rock (Good Catch, where do I get one)!

Grunting, swearing, and occasional commentary adds a lot to the video (but not incessant/continuous babbling)

Please give a general idea of the location of the videos, to help guys plan trips

OK, these are just my thoughts... I am a crabby old guy and may not reflect the views of generation X, Y, Z that will soon be replacing me (and bring the end to civilization as we know it)

Bob

Cory became the coolest guy on the planet when he didn't mix the two. His riding adventures are epic.

This is pretty much my opinion, point for point.  

For me, it's action *or* work, but they should definitely be clearly delineated.  I really enjoy (well made) maintenance and installation videos, but a problem I run in to is most are either very badly made or of trivial, silly things (lights).  I'm only really interested in watching installations of gear when there's either a strong DIY component or something unusual - basically, where there's something for me to learn that wouldn't just be found via RTFM.    For instance, I'd love to see a build guide/installation of the dog carrier!

The action, though?  These do it pretty well! There's spills, challenging terrain figured out, line choice, etc - it's engaging to watch, either out of "Ooooooof!", "Oh, that's a good way to deal with that problem!", or "OMG DON'T DO THAT!" - regardless of what specific response, stuff that keeps you engaged with what's going on vs. just pans of beautiful scenery.  Little bits of "look at how pretty this is" but generally more of a focus on the riding itself.  

And the dog.  He's a superstar, and from a YouTube channel perspective I feel bringing the dog along is ABSOLUTELY a good way to stand out from the crowd.  For sure, though, I'm in total agreement: I never want to see the poor guy get hurt.  It's one thing for a person to get hurt, ok, but you absolutely, positively never want to be associated with posting video of an animal getting hurt or else it veers quickly into monetizing the suffering of an animal.  Never go down that road.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 9:36 PM, Wintersdark said:

For me, it's action *or* work, but they should definitely be clearly delineated.  I really enjoy (well made) maintenance and installation videos, but a problem I run in to is most are either very badly made or of trivial, silly things (lights).  I'm only really interested in watching installations of gear when there's either a strong DIY component or something unusual - basically, where there's something for me to learn that wouldn't just be found via RTFM.    For instance, I'd love to see a build guide/installation of the dog carrier!

Dude, my pet peeve is when they skip the one thing that you're trying to figure out, like where is that last bolt that I need to remove? Or how what order does this need to be done in? But to be fair, these are a bit tricky to do, since you need to actually know what you're doing pretty well to cover it coherently. I'll be taking a stab at this with some suspension stuff I'm doing soon.

Not quite a build guide, but here's an overview of the carrier:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

advgoats.com

• 6 months later...

Excellent!!

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Supporting Vendor
On 3/7/2023 at 11:59 AM, Hibobb said:

Bob

1 hour ago, random1781 said:

Got a new one...

Nice work! Fins and Things is a riot; some of the slabs are no joke!

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

19 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Nice work! Fins and Things is a riot; some of the slabs are no joke!

It was a blast! Regret not having more time there, especially BLM just announced that they're closing 300+ miles of trails.

• Sad 1

advgoats.com

• Moderators

Having ridden Fins multiple times on my Beta 500,  I was curious as how the T7 would do on the steeper than it appears section at 4:36. Question answered, just send it!  Nice work!

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Supporting Vendor
23 hours ago, random1781 said:

It was a blast! Regret not having more time there, especially BLM just announced that they're closing 300+ miles of trails.

Yeah, I saw the closures announced. The good thing is that they *intend* to close xyz trails but there are already or will be multiple legal challenges and will likely drag out for years (according to articles I’ve read anyway).

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• 2 weeks later...