Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 PAIR system, Smog System, AIS valve?

Tazmool

Question

• Premium Member

Howdy Everyone, 

The system is known by seveal names (afaik) but I'm lookin for info on the pulsed secondary air injection (reed valve) system on the Tenere 700, also known as the "smog" system, or the AIS valve (air injection system) valve?   

(the system that injects fresh air into the exhaust to help burn off any un-burnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust)

Does the Tenere 700 have such a system?  
Another post talks about decel popping on their bike, which can be caused by the ais/pair (although other things could cause decel popping too, like an intake leak)  

One reason to wanting to remove (or at least temporarily disable) 
Any dyno-tuning, or any real tuning on the engine requires that system to be removed/disabled, as it gives false air/fuel ratio readings at an O2 sniffer (or wide band o2 sensor) used for generating a new fi map. 

After some searching on FZ/MT-07 forums, it seems that maybe this engine does not have the ais/pair system?  (seems unlikely) 
Every motorcycle I have ever owned has had a pair system, so I'm wondering does the Tenere 700? 

I've looked at a few FZ/MT-07 intake diagrams, and I don't see a pair system? this seems strange...

Thanks in advance!

Tazmool

Edited by Tazmool

10 answers to this question

On 1/26/2020 at 8:40 PM, Tazmool said:

Howdy Everyone, 

The system is known by seveal names (afaik) but I'm lookin for info on the pulsed secondary air injection (reed valve) system on the Tenere 700, also known as the "smog" system, or the AIS valve (air injection system) valve?   

(the system that injects fresh air into the exhaust to help burn off any un-burnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust)

Does the Tenere 700 have such a system?  
Another post talks about decel popping on their bike, which can be caused by the ais/pair (although other things could cause decel popping too, like an intake leak)  

One reason to wanting to remove (or at least temporarily disable) 
Any dyno-tuning, or any real tuning on the engine requires that system to be removed/disabled, as it gives false air/fuel ratio readings at an O2 sniffer (or wide band o2 sensor) used for generating a new fi map. 

After some searching on FZ/MT-07 forums, it seems that maybe this engine does not have the ais/pair system?  (seems unlikely) 
Every motorcycle I have ever owned has had a pair system, so I'm wondering does the Tenere 700? 

I've looked at a few FZ/MT-07 intake diagrams, and I don't see a pair system? this seems strange...

Thanks in advance!

Tazmool

About the only mention of the emissions equipment in the Svc Manual is below.  Yes, on the MT07, you simly remove the O2 sensor when flashing the ECU and changing exhaust to a higher flowing unit. I believe that @2 Wheel DynoWorks can program the O2 sensor dead.  Not sure. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 5.23.14 PM.png

• Premium Member

Thanks for checking into it, 

It does appear that the T7 does not have a pair valve, unusual, but I guess that's one less thing to do when messing with making the bike more reliable and tuning.

When my T7 arrives, I'll have to check into flashing the ecu as well, done that in the past, very much worth it. 

Tazmool

Any bench tuner or mail in flasher can disable the stock o2 sensor, in fact its actually required to tune the cp2 engine. 

Edited by blazzin

I'm always quick to delete all the emissions BS from my bikes. After looking over my T7, I'm not sure it's even worth the hassle to remove the little bit they installed. Usually the charcoal canisters take up a ton of space in an area great for tools, but they put a light, small plastic canister under the airbox where you wouldn't put anything else anyway. I also see no air ports on the head leading me to believe they didn't do any kind of Pair system. Credit to big Blue...they really did keep it simple and the layout of everything seems really smart. The charcoal canister *might* save 1-2lbs maximum. Best option, forget anything is even there and have fun.

The biggest bottleneck on the T7 is the cat in the headers, plate holding spark arrest in muff and the airbox lid/paper filter. (intake airhose restriction also for LAMS/Restricted HP countries, easily cut out, throttle plate also has to be cut on those) 

you lose 14 pounds putting on a full exhaust..(5 alone from just a slip on)...... thats HUGE...and thats with a stainless steel header....

check akrapovic for those numbers if you distrust.

Edited by blazzin
  • Like 1

Looking at the intake schematics, the NA version of the T7 has the california style emissions add on or something similar, its on the intake not exhaust though.

• Premium Member

With a full exhaust, my bike sure backfires (when off the throttle) like it has a pair system...
There must be something in there to burn off those excess hydrocarbons that get into the exhaust... (whole point of a pair valve) 

Tazmool

On 8/17/2020 at 10:26 PM, Tazmool said:

With a full exhaust, my bike sure backfires (when off the throttle) like it has a pair system...
There must be something in there to burn off those excess hydrocarbons that get into the exhaust... (whole point of a pair valve) 

Tazmool

Doesn't the T7 go into a complete fuel cut when you roll off the throttle? Matched with the excess heat the engine produces from running lean, and there's a lot less emmisions..

Also, i have very little actual knowledge of the system. just repeating things i've heard.

• Premium Member

Good observation,

My bike had its ecu flashed, so it does not go into fuel cut-off (makes the on-off-on throttle response FAR smoother)  but unburnt fuel can make its way into the exhaust either way (flashed or unflashed ecu, due to leaning out of mixture when on light partial throttle, not every ignition is successful and unburnt fuel goes out),  hot engine and exhaust can ignite it if enough air is present for coumbustion (which the pair system provides for this reason)  and you get a back fire when compression braking.  

Tazmool

• Like 1

Not sure this is the correct spot for this, but...Having owned in excess of 55 bikes, I find it fascinating why we (including myself!!!) MUST remove stuff that works really well for a token gain in HP or lose weight. I've spent thousands making an RC51 go really fast, and a 2V Ducati reliable and fast, and many other bikes/mods only to find that backing away from the table a bit sooner, going to a personal trainer, taking a few (many actually) riding courses or even packing a bit lighter make a much bigger difference in performance than a couple of extra HP or a couple less lbs. I enjoy fiddling with my bikes as much as the next guy, but found that actually riding them in their basic reliable form is actually more fun...😀 and it affords you more money to buy other bikes to satisfy other needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...