Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Just an observation or two

razz007

Hello everyone , I have noted that when I fall off whilst travelling that the Yamaha crash bars dig in , instantly stopping the T7 whilst I carry on in motion , usually tripping over a mirror or bar . Much to my amusement . So come summer when the ground is rock hard , hmmmmmmm . May take them off ? Have some GB racing covers coming too , Might see if I can smooth that off . Plus the tall hoops , are they just to hang bags on ? Might cut them off and lots of leverage against the mount . Plus added 16t sprocket , China chain guide and ordered a short screen . This bike is amazing . Soon be run in now 

3F46AB95-127E-41DF-96CE-FF61EE75F3C6.jpeg.c5dfe0fb1e0f3121e975a18d9293a1e9.jpeg7590C770-5A05-4C9B-A6FD-4919D8379E92.jpeg.979222906df5208b4a510b2a63e8aeb5.jpegAEFA6C0D-D321-4C99-8807-6FF9171E8FAB.jpeg.4f051a2c554d23afd489197dfd669675.jpeg35C6830F-327A-468F-9C61-10CCC6D5298B.jpeg.6ca2b7326e7a12ff31dacef002c3401b.jpeg

1) Try not to crash.

2) Use different tires for the conditions.

3) Get different engine guards.

or...

4) Get a dirt bike. 

Edited by r1superstar

Ditch the spools. Sucks if one catches and fractures the swingarm.  Costs less to get a rear stand that doesn't require them. Get bars that provide better protection down low or at least get case covers as you mentioned.  I agree that high bars are problematic.  I'll take my chances without them.

Big bike, things are going to dig in.

• Like 1

I can only recommend the SW Motech crashbars. Haven't managed to bend them yet, whilst I can pretend I haven't used them to softly lay my bike for a short rest

Crashbar wise my best decision was to switch from high bars to the Heavy Duty Enduro but i understand it's not real attractive outside of the EU and they don't ship to the USA at all.
Completely with @Windblown to ditch the spools, everything sticking out is a leverage that one day will break and take the whole mounting with it and in this case you will end up with a hole in the swingarm.
I also would invest in a proper skid plate, it looks like you still have the tin foil OEM one.

And invest in proper off road training. It is worth way more than all the crash bars, skid plates, lights, mistletoe branches and all other stuff. I have been riding for many years, twenty I guess, unitll I wanted to go off road. What's the big deal, I thought, and then, a surprise. 

I try to attend at least one course/training a year that involves many different things, preferably if it's a training-trip. Trust me, you'll be amazed how fast you're gonna improve

26 minutes ago, Tomaszch said:

And invest in proper off road training. It is worth way more than all the crash bars, skid plates, lights, mistletoe branches and all other stuff. I have been riding for many years, twenty I guess, unitll I wanted to go off road. What's the big deal, I thought, and then, a surprise. 

I try to attend at least one course/training a year that involves many different things, preferably if it's a training-trip. Trust me, you'll be amazed how fast you're gonna improve

Yes and no.
I did several offroad courses and still the crashbar was a good investment but on top of that because of those courses i need the skidplate even harder because i go faster or take on harder tracks.

21 minutes ago, Tomaszch said:

Sorry, but off road training will not stop you dropping your bike if you take it properly off road. 

Even with off road experience, enduro, mx, etc your adv bike is probably going to take a tumble at some point. Decent crash bars, skid plate and hand guards can minimise the damage. The key is to try and protect the controls and oily bits so you don’t get stranded, bodywork and paint are just sacrificial items.

Thanks for all the quick pop responses , bars n bobbins are off , looks sleek now 👍🏻 had a look behind the right hand panel , lots of mud on the top of the headers , will have to learn to remove the panels n check when it’s cleaning time . Shouldn’t get so snagged when passing thru the undergrowth now the bars are off . R G covers going on as soon as they arrive . Love it 
6B954187-161B-4208-8F9B-EA4C3BC5DC65.jpeg.8ac2b035fc715e51dca06d0ee8b9f988.jpeg7E8E19FD-E70B-4565-AFAE-3A02DAB87BD6.jpeg.0bcaeadbadbc4ad5733c0fa42b005e3f.jpeg

Edited by razz007