Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First Road trip: what tools to bring

Kiwi

I am off on my first road trip come Easter. Riding tarmac from Norway to Sweden via Denmark.

Bike has only done 1200km so it shoukd hold up ok. I am now thinking about what tools to bring, especially a puncture repair kit and pump. Good idea or a bit overkill?

Will a puncture repair kit for a bicycle contain patches strong enough for a mc tube?

20220730_161943.jpg

Edited by Kiwi

Bring every tool you will need to take front and rear tires off the bike and the tires off the wheels.  As others have posted, the factory tires are VERY hard to break the beads, especially the first time.  Pack a small 12v pump.   Patch kit and a 21” tube (you can run the 21” front tube in the rear. 

these are a couple of great tools to have.  

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

• Like 2

The ability to repair a tire is the same as being able to change a car tire.  Two types of people in the world - those that are prepared for that task should it arise,  and those that rely on good fortune and their credit card & a phone should that fail.  I vacillate between both types depending on circumstances.  

The advice from @Redneckj is spot on if yu want to be able to take care of things yourself. New motorcycles are generally very dependable but nails and screws don't discriminate and will pick on a new tire as happily as a worn out one. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

I take a complete toolkit with me on my trips but i go offroad a lot and i do all the maintenance myself and i'm able to fix almost any problem.
Like @Windblown says a puncture is always possible, i call it a puncture as there are more reasons for that than a nail or screw.
I would take a front tube too in case of a slashed tyre, a front sized tyre will also fit the rear in case of emergency. With that you always can get to a town where you can get it repaired/changed.
If you take items to repair a tyre and you never took a tyre off practice it before you leave, learning on a trail is not the best place.

• Like 2

Thank you for all your replies. I have enough tools for a panzer brigade, narrowing it down to just those required to remove the wheels and tyres has been a big help.

13 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Thank you for all your replies. I have enough tools for a panzer brigade, narrowing it down to just those required to remove the wheels and tyres has been a big help.

You'll be good to go. 

Flats.... Fronts offroad, rears on road. Practically a golden rule. BTDT many times...

Me holding a tube replacement class in Death Valley.

DVtrip(1).jpg.67a21c20116db43b7b8dbb47f96bc82a.jpg

Me watching a pro do it in under 10 minutes ...

roadside.jpg.7ade835c0615760807a2bc160fc5b253.jpg

Lending a tube to a friend was as close as I came to assisting on this one. 🙂

S5002014(12).JPG.714a74faa8bb9adda574b0dca5f6c57e.JPG

What's with KTMs and flat tires anyway? LOLOLOL

20160918_123122.jpg.bc7b4e2ebd7d46808bb88ac6a7adcdfb.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

@Windblown Looks like riding with you could be a "deflating" experience!  On the other hand, riding with you would be comforting in that an expert at trailside flat repairs is along for the ride. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I like the look of that multi tool for the front and rear wheel removal. Shame that postage from the UK takes absolute ages now.

I might make one from a 27mm socket and a 19mm hex head, cut the same shape from some 4mm sheet with the plasma and weld the two parts to it. 

If I get the time I will drop the rear off at my mates shop to break the bead, put some tyre fitting compound behind the rim and re inflate. That sounds like it might be worth the effort incase I need to do it roadside.

• Like 2

I would highly suggest breaking the bead on the rear tire loose, lubing it a bit with tire lube and then reinflating BEFORE you leave for your trip. Breaking the bead on the rear tire the first time is really F^*@#%^! hard to do even with proper tools on these bikes. Doing it in the field with smaller levers or a kickstand is going to be a lot more difficult. 

Once you break the bead once it’s much easier to break again afterwards.  It’s almost like they glued the damn tires on at the factory.  The front is nowhere near as hard to do. 

Same goes with the rear axle bolt. Really really torqued on tight from the factory. Break it loose at home and re-torque before your trip. It will make getting it loose in the field a lot easier to do if you need to. 

• Like 2