Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Setting the OEM suspension….

Zebco Kid

Good morning. I came across this video (

). I was wondering if anyone of a similar weight and luggage situation had dialed in the optimal settings. 

I’m 157 pounds. Without panniers, I’m at 495 pounds with skid plat, crash bars, etc. and my panniers  probably weighs 25 pounds. 

So, total is 520 pounds. 

Anyone document the optimal “clicks” for each adjustment?

Thank you. 

ZK

• Like 1

• Moderators

First question,  is your rear spring still the oem one?  I weigh about 10 lbs more than you, but don't run crashbars, so our overall weights are similar. I went through chasing suspension settings and trying to get sag set properly with the oem spring,  but it was a waste of time.  I switched out the rear spring for a RallyRaid 90Kg rear spring and proper sag was easily set with just a few clicks of pre-load. That stiffer spring I proved handling and the ride, leaving plenty of adjustment for increased loads of luggage or my pillion.

Lots of good threads in the Suspension sub forum on what you're looking for,  here's one of them.

( moved to Suspension from General discussion)

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I don't think too many people are going to post there "clicks", I know I wont, because its 100% personal preference and base on the terrain you ride and your skills.  There is no "best clicks" settings. It doesn't exist.  

• Like 2

I’m sure you’re correct about the specific settings for rider and conditions, but I imagine there’s somebody out there at similar size and weight, that is interested in sharing their findings/settings. I’m just a typical adventure, rider, moving between asphalt and dirt roads. Sometimes the dirt roads are smooth, and sometimes they are rocky and a bit more technical. For those that have been down in Baja, that’s the type of riding. 

• Moderators

@Zebco Kid

FWIW, here are my settings.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 3 weeks later...

I have set my standard suspension to his recommended settings, and love em !

Great vid !

• AZJW changed the title to Setting the OEM suspension….