Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM vs NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

Oxxa

My bike just hit 20k km and it is time to change the spark plugs.

Do I go with OEM or NGK Iridium?

If NGK Iridium can last more than 20k km, i might choose Iridium.

But, isn’t it good to switch whatever spark plug every 20k anyway?

Edited by Oxxa
Typo

Some do and you can, but it will make absolutely no difference.  Personally, I swap things out when the manual says to swap them out, so if I put Iridium plugs in I'd still swap them at the same mileage amount anyways.  I'd be uncomfortable leaving them longer because while ostensibly they last longer, I don't know exactly how much longer, and frankly spark plugs are cheap. 

Honestly, I'd just put in regular OEM plugs.  Yamaha specced those for a reason, and they work well.  We like to think we're "going the extra mile" getting the expensive versions for replacements, but it's not going to make the bike run any different.

• Like 1

From a test in a dutch motormagazine where they compared oem vs iridium sparkplug, the testers found out that the motorbike with iridium sparkplugs run a bit smoother and had some better fuel consumption. Depends how longer you can use the iridium sparkplugs, it can pay off. I will change to iridium with my next service, just to try.