Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Fuel filter

Pockey

I have just done a search for the Tenere fuel filter and all I could find was a French guy sticking a bag down the fuel tank neck. Firstly does the T7 have a fuel filter and if not has anyone fitted a inline filter. I am planning a trip down Africa and you do get a lot of dirty fuel and will definitely need some type of fuel filtration 

12 hours ago, Pockey said:

I have just done a search for the Tenere fuel filter and all I could find was a French guy sticking a bag down the fuel tank neck. Firstly does the T7 have a fuel filter and if not has anyone fitted a inline filter. I am planning a trip down Africa and you do get a lot of dirty fuel and will definitely need some type of fuel filtration 

+1  I saw that !

A service manual would help here for sure.    ☘️

The parts manual linked from this thread might help.

Having had a quick look I can’t find any reference to a filter in the parts lists for the fuel tank or intake.

Edited by CReamflourish

I found out some more info and the filter is inside the fuel tank   I have been told that it’s rare for the filters to get blocked and if they do you will have to remove the fuel tank and then remove the pump. So pretty much the only way if you suspect really dirty fuel is to filter it through cloth or filter before or while filling up the tank. That fuel sock is apparently takes you a long time to fill up the tank due to the fuel passing through the sock very slowly. 

• Thanks 1

I have been using the guglatech filter in Africa (not on T7), using local roadside fuel when necessary, and found sock to be helpful so far... the refueling time is not really an issue, slightly slower but fine.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/29/2020 at 5:38 AM, Pockey said:

I found out some more info and the filter is inside the fuel tank   I have been told that it’s rare for the filters to get blocked and if they do you will have to remove the fuel tank and then remove the pump. So pretty much the only way if you suspect really dirty fuel is to filter it through cloth or filter before or while filling up the tank. That fuel sock is apparently takes you a long time to fill up the tank due to the fuel passing through the sock very slowly. 

Has anyone ever checked the fuel filter. Is there a tech article on this?

Most fuel injected bikes have what is called a tea bag filter built into the fuel pump.

On my previous Super Tenere you would remove the fuel pump and then by undoing a few clips the pump separates into 2 main parts and the Tea Bag filter is exposed.

There is apparently a 2nd filter or screen inside the pump that is not serviceable, but if you keep the Tea bag filter clean you will probably never have an issue with this screen.  Some have back flushed the pump to clean the second screen as well.

The Tea bag filter can be easily swapped if you can source the filter.  Many of these filters are available on eBay.  The Super tenere used the same as a R6.  

Now what filter is mounted to the T7 fuel pump you will need to find out.  I would suggest cross referencing some part numbers to see if the MT-07 uses the same fuel pump as the T7.  If it is the same then get a filter for that bike.

check eBay and you will see the MT07, MT09, MT10, XRS700, XRS900 all use the same filter.  Very good chance it will work on the T7 as well, but being a relatively new bike not all models are listed.  They are also relatively cheap at around $10-20 each.

s-l400.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Quantum Fuel Pump Filter Strainers [3] 2015-2020 Yamaha FZ-07/MT-07 Tracer at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Here is a link to a video.  Go to around 1:50 on the vid, Not the same bike, but you get the idea where it is and how to reach it.  Please don't do what he is doing and blow air through the filter.  Personally if I was trying to get some extra life out of it I would remove it from the pump,(it just pulls off the end) and then back flush the filter to remove as much dirt as possible.  

For someone taking a trip where gas is questionable, a Guglatech filter in the filler neck is what I would do.  They can be easily removed and cleaned as well.