Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dash fault ...5th gear

Ratbag31

I have the same with fourth, it's a problem in the sensor near the front sprocket which can't handle heat apparently.
My 4 does show when i just ride off but when the bike heats up it's gone, not going to do anything about it until more disappear. Now i know no number is fourth but when more fail it's not clear anymore.

Others will follow. Before my sensor was changed on warranty, my bike only showed 2 gears, all others were gone.

Mine doesn't have 2nd gear.

Don't really notice it.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

The gear indicator is nice but I don't rely on it, especially on the narrow gravel back-roads.  Engine revs, in my ear, tell me all I really need to know.  Having said that, if my 2022 develops the problem...

• Like 1

• Moderators

Neither my 2021  or my son's 2022 hasn't had any issues with the gear indicator.   I'm a pretty picky guy and want everything to work,  but I'm beating @Hibobb to the punch here. I/ we grew up riding motorcycles with zero instrumentation and developed the skillset to know what gear I'm in without having a display telling me.  If mine fails, I'll probably just go back to old school. 😉

• Haha 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@AZJW  I had a 1984 Honda VF700S with a six speed gearbox that had a gear indicator on it. That was back when the lobbyist's from Harley put a tariffs on bikes of 750cc or more, thinking that Japan was the problem to all their woes.. It was a fine bike, V-four, liquid cooled, carburated, shaft drive, cheap, reliable. Drove it all over the USA, it was one of the bikes I wished i had kept. The gear shift indicator never let me down.... funny how much progress we have made in 40 years... (sarcasm)!

The 1984-1985 Honda VF700S Sabre was a tariff-buster that makes a great touring bike today, if you can find one. Originally published as "The Honda VF700S Sabre" in the July August 2006 issue of Motorcycle Classics...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~