Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

World Raid Suspension heavy Rider

RiderCornish

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I am debating on whether to buy the standard T7 and upgrade the suspension (weight with riding gear & no luggage approx 130kgs) or buy the World Raid. I have been trying to find out whether the upgraded suspension on the WR would meet my weight requirements but I am struggling to find anything. I'm probably an average rider and generally would just do green lanes and the TET. No big jumps for me as I don't have the skill set and at 63 I could do with living a little longer having spent many a time falling off whilst off-road when a lot younger. Any help or advice would really be appreciated.

The WR is not just suspension, it's a bigger bike due to the larger (double) tank.
I would go with a standard T7 and upgrades al day. Both bikes are developed in Japan with a setup for the average Japanese rider so the base setup on the WR are very likely just as the standard T7 for a lighter person.
So you might get a bit more that you really don't need and pay more because of that and you still have to spend extra to get it right.
But that's just my opinion.

1 hour ago, RiderCornish said:

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I am debating on whether to buy the standard T7 and upgrade the suspension (weight with riding gear & no luggage approx 130kgs) or buy the World Raid. I have been trying to find out whether the upgraded suspension on the WR would meet my weight requirements but I am struggling to find anything. I'm probably an average rider and generally would just do green lanes and the TET. No big jumps for me as I don't have the skill set and at 63 I could do with living a little longer having spent many a time falling off whilst off-road when a lot younger. Any help or advice would really be appreciated.

The World Raid has a bit better suspension and slightly more travel but neither bike will be tuned for your weight.  I'm not a huge suspension tuning freak that thinks everyone needs to take a deep dive into their suspensions but I do think  getting the spring rate close will make the bike more enjoyable and handle a lot better for you.  So regardless of which model you might opt for I'd say plan on new springs on both ends at least. 

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm not that bothered the bike being bigger or the extra milage. At 6' 2" the taller bike isn't a problem. I did have the KTM 1190R and that is a high bike. I thought you might say that either way I would ideally need to do something with the suspension. If I buy a standard T7 then I'm estimating £1500 for front and rear setup but hopefully a little less. Either way the T7 definitely looks and sounds like a great bike. I'm back to the internet to see what's available. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

I'd say it depends on the distance you're going to ride to. The biggest perks of the WR  in my opinion are the tanks and fuel. The upgraded display now comes standard I understand and I've never actually researched how to use my Ohlins steering damper.

So, my 2 cents is if you're going to be doing a lot of travel, the WR is pretty solid (It's what I have). I'm 92kg, and have the explorer pack with hard cases that easily take me up to 120 or so loaded. I don't have any issues with handling, now mind you I've only done Tarmac so far as I received the bike late in Oct, and the mud season here in Estonia is not my cup of tea until I get a better suit... 

Many thanks EstRider. I would probably do 70 on road and 30 off but that could increase to 60/40. I just need to ensure that when I go off road I don't bottom out. Having toured around Europe on different bikes over the years I am unlikely to do any high mileage but you never know. I used to ride with my wife who had her own bike (BMW S1000RR) but having sold both our bikes, bought a converted camper van and got a dog it now limits us. I was going to use the bike predominantly at weekends as the wife is out sea swimming and paddle boarding. I'd like to do another long trip but she suffers from FOMO (fear of missing out) so not sure how it will work out. 

Hey no worries. Like I said I haven't extensively tested it yet due to late delivery last year. The bike certainly is fun to ride standing up, the handling is great. I wish it sat about 4-5CM shorter though! Mine is definately a weekend warrior these days, but the plan is for some long cross baltic trips coming up this summer.

Honestly though if you're up for it, it sounds like you might be better off just grabbing a regular T7 and upgrading the suspension to match your desires.