Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

AltRider Alum Center Stand install

Toymaster

I see the benefits of using a center stand, especially on long journeys, and storage (better for tires and suspension).  That said, I also like to go light as possible.  AltRider come out with an aluminum center stand that saves ~40% when compared to the OEM accessory. 

image.jpeg.3df222be650699bf6094c3c8a088f8d4.jpeg

Most of the weight savings are in the stand itself, the mounting brackets (surprisingly) are just a few grams lighter.  The alum has to be thicker for the same strength as its steel counterpart.   Below you can see the AltRider stand is made from 1.25" tubing vs. the 1" steel OEM.  Therefore, the stand looks heavier/beefier when in actuality it is lighter. 

image.jpeg.b039f86e5cd26e8ff0fb631d45cea0d5.jpegimage.jpeg.0eaf782ef689a8674cd952791baa44ba.jpeg

Along with the weight savings the other major benefit is the foot lever is tucked behind the passenger foot peg.

image.jpeg.78bba87698497a531d75871f14f3306a.jpegimage.jpeg.155f46406f06a2669a0a89d5e52d6fc8.jpeg

A large improvement from the OEM.  OEM on bottom, AltRider on top.

image.jpeg.acc90f7b08eaf2a9b7329824d5993b36.jpeg

The one thing I would like to say about the install was the need for shims under the rubber stop pad.  I added two washers to lower the resting point of the stand.  If none were added the stand would hit the left passenger foot peg and probably make contact/sound when riding.  Due to the distance from the hinge a little added to the stop pad makes a large difference to the resting point of the foot lever.   When rolling the bike off of the stand, the stand still hits the foot peg due to the softness of the rubber but should not make contact during aggressive riding.   Pics below:  Before shims on left, after shims on right. 

image.jpeg.6afbc013161cb99a80d9782c39848d0c.jpegimage.jpeg.bab731199e629b1ebfc0969138967df7.jpeg

Pic of washer placement.

image.jpeg.2e8f0c796b1076ce21989dcdbcd25f3f.jpeg

Lastly,  I decided to use the OEM spring(s).  The one sent with the aluminum stand works but the more powerful spring works more better 😄 .   AltRider includes a spring removal tool in the package, circled below.  I've been a mechanic all my life and did not know these things existed, all I have to say is for less than $10 we all need one.   Makes removal of the stand a snap; to remove you can just take off the spring and the two hinge bolts.  The frame brackets can stay in place.   Easy peezy and then you have the best of both worlds.   Without the tool the job is 100 times worse, if not outright dangerous. 

image.jpeg.1c59e6ef5f0faff18484e67fb43c781b.jpegimage.jpeg.0f0928259bed9cada12602064bed79a3.jpeg

image.jpeg.ae69a2fe5897b784c377a9a0ae085346.jpeg

Edited by Toymaster
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the detailed review with pictures!

How has it held up from your riding this summer? Any new complaints or issues?

No complaints.  I would not discourage anyone from buying one.   The money shaved off a few pounds and I still have the center stand capabilty.   Win/win,  value added but the decision if the cost is justified is a personal one. 

@Toymaster Nice write-up.  So did you actually have the OEM installed, and you removed it to replace it with the Altrider?   I think a lot about trying my bike without all the add-on stuff it has to see how it rides differently- CTR stand, crash bars, huge skid plate etc.  But I like my CTR stand. Maybe I'll just convert everything to aluminum instead. 

42 minutes ago, DT675 said:

@Toymaster Nice write-up.  So did you actually have the OEM installed....

Yes, I had the OEM one installed.  The OEM stand is over 10lbs and over built.  I spent the money on the Altrider to save weight. 

• Like 1

@Toymaster

Great detailed write-up, thank you! Do you mind measuring to compare the footprint (width apart of feet) between the OEM and Altrider stands? Curiously, the T7 OEM stand is about 3" wider than my Super Tenere OEM stand. Probably the only reason this matters is that I have couple of pieces of aluminum plate that I "stand" the bikes on so as to not gouge my concrete floor. Due to the minimalist size of those plates, easy on the ST, fiddly on the T7.

I'm on the verge of removing the T7 OEM center stand due to the clanging on rough terrain. Presently trying to band-aid it using 32" Gorilla Ties (giant twist ties) to hold it tight. That mostly works but makes deploying the center stand a multi-step process that tries my patience.

I too would appreciate feedback on the "clanging issue", if there is one, with the AltRider stand. Not sure that I'm inclined to pop for a replacement stand at this point unless a replacement truly addresses all the center stand considerations - form, function, durability, ease of use, and lack of annoyance.

Cheers,

Boondocker

1 hour ago, Boondocker said:

@Toymaster

I too would appreciate feedback on the "clanging issue", if there is one, with the AltRider stand. Not sure that I'm inclined to pop for a replacement stand at this point unless a replacement truly addresses all the center stand considerations - form, function, durability, ease of use, and lack of annoyance.

Cheers,

Boondocker

The width is the same as the OEM, they are almost identical except for the kick/deployment leg.   As to the clanging issue, the suspended mass is less on the alumium stand vs. the heavier steel OEM  therefore, the inertia is less during a landing.    I mention that I used the heavier stock spring on the new lighter stand.  So there is plenty of up pressure to keep the stand in place. 

• Like 1