Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bike Camping - What gear do you use?

RMMark

• Premium Member

Travel as light as possible. Did below hotels and no tent camping.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:04 PM, Endopotential said:

Regarding "black out" tents, do consider that they may get blazing hot inside during the heat of the day especially if there's no breeze to provide ventilation.

A sleep mask would likely be a cheaper and simpler option.

I like old kit, just me, so my tent is a great design (old vango force 10) but isn’t exactly small. But I’m not carrying it so it’s fine, but back to the point… I carry a basha/ tarp too and when needed ( it does get sunny sometimes in uk) you can hang it from the top of the tents ridge and peg it out on the sunny side to form a heat shield with air gap, keeping that early morning feeling of being a vampire exposed to sunlight (after several ales) to a minimum. 😁🍺

• Haha 1

I have an old Colman phad 2 tent. find it excellent and pitched with inner and out together so no issues with rain.

down side it is bulky on the bike with no panniers

The light and black from Decathlon look interesting, but the eye mask is probably a cheaper better alternative

Need find myself a smaller 1 man tent for biking 

I ended up adding a few items to be able to hammock camp as well as use a tent. The total weight and size added is minimal and it also allows me to leave my 10lb tent at home in some situations. 

I got a Dutchware Chamelion hammock and a couple of Jack's R Better convertible quilts. Only the hammock and the lighter of the quilts are incremental, a few pounds weight and 3-4 liters volume.