Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Will the zipper damage the forks?

Oxxa

My dealer has this in stock:

Acerbis Z mud fork guard

I don’t really trust acerbis products, so I must ask. 

will this work or make it worse?

Shop for Body, like Acerbis Z-Mud Fork Guards at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and offer...

7 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

My dealer has this in stock:

Acerbis Z mud fork guard

I don’t really trust acerbis products, so I must ask. 

will this work or make it worse?

Shop for Body, like Acerbis Z-Mud Fork Guards at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and offer...

Well... at least here in Europe Acerbis have quite a high reputation.

I use their neoprene guards (no zippers), but you need to remove the fork legs for installation.

Regarding long term experience under all conditions, @Ray Ride4life can tell you more.

Edited by Tenerider

29 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Well... at least here in Europe Acerbis have quite a high reputation.

I use their neoprene guards (no zippers), but you need to remove the fork legs for installation.

Regarding long term experience under all conditions, @Ray Ride4life can tell you more.

i am in europe too, but how the swing arm guard fucked my swing arm rather than protect it im having doubts for acerbis quality of products. Anyways….

how often do you have to wash that neoprene guard?

• Sad 1

Disclaimer: I do not own the product nor using it.

But if inside the wrap has a cloth/foam flap over the zipper, typically it shouldn't damage the fork

Kind of how a high end jacket will be with zipper facing outward while inner is fully covered by a flap.

However the video doesn't show the inside of the product so I can't really say for sure if it does have it.

Then again, if you concern about it, I would stick to Velcro style wrap.

1 minute ago, TimmyTheHog said:

Disclaimer: I do not own the product nor using it.

But if inside the wrap has a cloth/foam flap over the zipper, typically it shouldn't damage the fork

Kind of how a high end jacket will be with zipper facing outward while inner is fully covered by a flap.

However the video doesn't show the inside of the product so I can't really say for sure if it does have it.

Then again, if you concern about it, I would stick to Velcro style wrap.

I will check later and report back for the ziller flap.

which alternative fork covers do you recommend? 

7 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

not really a recommendation but more like what I am more accustomed to seeing. Got lots of friends own dirt bike and they run things like shock socks such as this.

They are more for keeping dirt out of the seal. If you want to protect the chrome, I would just run those gator boots over them or wrap them with a piece of water resistance cloth w/ Velcro.

27 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

i am in europe too, but how the swing arm guard fucked my swing arm rather than protect it im having doubts for acerbis quality of products. Anyways….

Oh man that's bad!

Actually mine doesn't get very dirty often. Ray is more of a hardcore user.

3 hours ago, Oxxa said:

I don't know about European availability, but I use SealSavers. Like @TimmyTheHog mentioned, these do have some fabric behind the zipper. I've used mine for a year and a half without taking them off to wash and they're fine. I think neoprene is the important part, it's stretchy and dense, so I think any neoprene products will be similar regardless of brand.

I briefly looked at the Acerbis Z-Mud, but they're advertised as fitting forks 46mm-49mm.

advgoats.com

1 hour ago, Oxxa said:

Not at all.
First i installed them on my Crosstourer after several seal leaks in the 30k km i had it at that time, then i totally neglected the front suspension for 75k km Doing long trips on and offroad in places a Crosstourer shouldn't be at all and i never washed the socks and i also rarely wash the bike at all (only when i have to work on it).
I do feel totally ashamed of the neglect but because of the socks the seals stopped breaking and i just forget about it.
On the T7 i run them now just over 15k km and begin May the front get a full service to prepare for the Bosnia rally (Touratech WTE closed cartridge set) and i ran it hard in all conditions.

29 minutes ago, random1781 said:

I don't know about European availability, but I use SealSavers. Like @TimmyTheHog mentioned, these do have some fabric behind the zipper. I've used mine for a year and a half without taking them off to wash and they're fine. I think neoprene is the important part, it's stretchy and dense, so I think any neoprene products will be similar regardless of brand.

I briefly looked at the Acerbis Z-Mud, but they're advertised as fitting forks 46mm-49mm.

I just fitted my acerbis z mud, they are nylon and look like they might do their job. Zipper is not visible from inside so i doubt it will scratch anything

F31FE6A4-1650-491F-B6D8-54FA1472B07A.jpeg

Edited by Oxxa
  • Like 2