Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Centre stand with lowering links

CCT7

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone with feedback on this?

Am fitting lowering link this week and also keen on centrestand - but don't want to buy/install if it is to hard to get on the stand or if it scrapes much cornering with the lowered bike.

I've got this configuration - Yamaha's lowering links, centre stand and front end lowered about 20 mm.

Works fine, can't say anything bad about it.  I didn't try very deep cornering with my knobby tires, though 🙂

Edited by r2r
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, r2r said:

I've got this configuration - Yamaha's lowering links, centre stand and front end lowered about 20 mm.

Works fine, can't say anything bad about it.  I didn't try very deep cornering with my knobby tires, though 🙂

I'm about to set up my T7 with OEM 18mm lowering links, and already have the OEM center stand on the bike.  It seems that the OEM center stand obstructs the linkage bolts from being able to be removed.  Did you have to remove parts of your OEM center stand in order to change the suspension linkage, or did you do these modifications in a different sequence?

I did not have to remove the center stand, but I also changed a shock spring together with lowering links, so when the rear linkage bolt is removed there is a possibility to move the arm relay a bit and remove the rest of the bolts. Maybe you will need to unscrew a bottom bolt of the shock but it is still easier than removing a center stand.

Edited by r2r
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GreatDistances said:

I'm about to set up my T7 with OEM 18mm lowering links, and already have the OEM center stand on the bike.  It seems that the OEM center stand obstructs the linkage bolts from being able to be removed.  Did you have to remove parts of your OEM center stand in order to change the suspension linkage, or did you do these modifications in a different sequence?

This combo will work. I run RallyRaid (cheaper and better quality than Yamaha) 20mm lowering links with Yamaha's centre stand. I didn't think I'd be able to remove the OEM links and fit new with the centre stand in position, but it is actually possible once you've slackened  things and created a bit of freeplay in the linkage securing bolts. Don't forget to put a piece of wood under the back wheel to prevent if from dropping. You'll need to place a bike lift carefully under the sump cover to lift the bike to get things lined up to accept the lowering links. It's an easy job. Once fitted, it's recommended to drop the forks about 8mm through the triple clamp to maintain the original geometry - again, an easy job.

I didn't notice any difficulty afterwards with pulling the bike onto the main stand and the slight loss of ground clearance was worth the gain in confidence by being a bit nearer the road!  (The only trouble I had was trying to pull the bike onto the main stand when I had a rear tyre puncture - but I'm not sure that was down to the lowering links!)

• Thanks 1

Awesome, thanks for the help on this.  Great to know a bit more about your processes as well, because my next question would have been if I could switch the links with the center stand in use, or if I needed a jack.  Guess I'm off to Harbor Freight to pick one up this week!

I was going to go Camel or Rally Raid for lowering links initially too, but ended up happening upon a pair of OEM 18mm links for $20 so I went with that.  I can't rationalize why anyone would buy the OEM 18mm links new at the price Yamaha is asking.

Thanks again, very helpful!

@CCT7I have the lower links and the forks lowered with a center stand on my wife's bike, it stands more upright by about 2 degrees. Not really a problem, but you have to be a little careful as to where you park, hasn't presented a problem yet.

I just lowered 25mm and don’t have too much difficulty with the main stand. My question is lowering the front forks.  I see 5mm,8mm and 20mm to lower in the forum. It seems these numbers are a “wing it”approach.  Is there a Yamaha spec ? 

I lowered mine 20 mm and slid my forks up 15 mm.  Rode it for over a thousand KM to test it.  Then I slid the forks back down to where they were originally and I can't tell the difference.  Install the lowering link and take it for a ride.  I'll bet you won't notice any diff with or without the fork adjustment. 

• 1 month later...

Old topic, I know. But perhaps it helps someone...

I lowered with 50mm links on the rear and dropped the front by 15mm. I didn't notice any big handling difference, but I feel more secure as I am no longer tippy toe with only one foot.

In lowered state, the center stand is really hard to engage alone (I'm 170cm and 70kg) - need full body weight down on stand foot handle (fandle?) and lift the up on the luggage bars.

Most importantly, had to shorten the side/kick stand by 35mm to make it safe to park without tipping over.

Does anyone know if any shorter centre stands will fit from, say,  Tracer or MT07?