Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Comms. Good or bad?

DaveT7

• Members
16 hours ago, winddown said:

Please tell me these modern comms have more than one channel?   Can't the chatterboxes simply have their own one and then a common band one for the group as a whole?

My Cardo units have two channels, plus all the mesh goodness listed above.

• Like 1

The coms can be very helpful. My riding group switched from Sena to Cardo, however both brands can communicate together now days. The pactalk bold and pactalk black are the best and easily worth it. I sometimes listen to music or calls when solo but mostly use to communicate with the group. Communicating road hazards and oncoming traffic on single tack or trails is extremely helpful and makes it worth it right there. Chatting with mates is also enjoyable and most of us keep chat to a reasonable level.

I use a Sena when riding with a friend - I'm selective about my riding buddies so the "chatter" is fun.

I also use it for audible directions from Google maps if I need directions on the road.  I use GAIA offroad but I find it safer to hear directions in my ear than to be looking at a screen when cars are involved.

15 hours ago, Redneckj said:

For communication while on rides the Baofeng 888s radios are great.  Cheap and reliable.   Pair the radio with a shoulder mic and you have a way to talk with other riders in your group.

This is just another option than the other helmet to helmet com devices.

I'm an armature radio guy and have a nice yaesu vx6 with the waterproof remote mike, it's easily modded for the CB band but I hadn't bothered yet.  I was toying with the idea of mounting it up on the tower with the mic and installing an antenna on the ductail.  Might be an interesting project but I wouldn't be using it while riding, only when stopped.

000vx6.jpg.75ef60ca3b8ea4fd683acd278bf2a254.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, winddown said:

I'm an armature radio guy and have a nice yaesu vx6 with the waterproof remote mike, it's easily modded for the CB band but I hadn't bothered yet.  I was toying with the idea of mounting it up on the tower with the mic and installing an antenna on the ductail.  Might be an interesting project but I wouldn't be using it while riding, only when stopped.

I consider my Yaesu as an emergency comm device because "someone" has to be listening and you have to be in range of a repeater you know the frequency for. It is behind my Somewear and Garmin Montana 701 sat units.

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, winddown said:

Kenwood guy, but the VX6R is an awesome unit!

73 de DK8XX

• Like 1

Once you have used one of these (paired with a decent radio), you won't go back...Use it in the bush, forest service roads, snowbiking in the mountains. Reliable and great range with the right radio.

Designed for racers, by racers.  The MOTO-MAX is manufactured to strict standards and made to take you to the podium. Just add your favorite handheld radio with 2-Pin Kenwood connector!  With heavy electrical shielding...
  • Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

31 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

Once you have used one of these (paired with a decent radio), you won't go back...Use it in the bush, forest service roads, snowbiking in the mountains. Reliable and great range with the right radio.

Designed for racers, by racers.  The MOTO-MAX is manufactured to strict standards and made to take you to the podium. Just add your favorite handheld radio with 2-Pin Kenwood connector!  With heavy electrical shielding...

@Canzvt That looks like a great solution for comms only. Especially in a closed track situation. Kinda hard to get it to give me turn by turn directions, listen to AC DC and have a conversation on the phone, but excellent group comm.

Just now, NeilW said:

@Canzvt That looks like a great solution for comms only. Especially in a closed track situation. Kinda hard to get it to give me turn by turn directions, listen to AC DC and have a conversation on the phone, but excellent group comm.

Instead of the Moto Max kit, you buy these... connect it to your favorite radio, and pair it to your phone/gps/whatever. This is not the duplex solutions mentioned above...but highly robust in the bush or over long distances.

Seamlessly connect your phone to your helmet with our lightweight Bluetooth Headset The Rugged Connect BT2 uses the latest Bluetooth technology that quickly and easily connects to your phone for incredible music streaming...

Adventure on the Weekend with the Rugged Connect BT2 Moto Kit! This kit pairs your Rugged Connect BT2 with our SUPER SPORT Moto Kit allowing you to talk to your group for miles at the push of a button. No pairing. No...

I think I have Yamaha disease...

That would be great if  you were in a group and all others had the same.  When I got my bike I made them give me a new helmet with bluetooth, I pretty much ride solo but hope to go on a camping trip with a good friend who lives just a bit north of you, I'm sure he will be using a bluetooth device so we can communicate.  Until then I listen to Sirius from my phone and yeah AC DC is a great choice for listening pleasure, I just let Sirius pic what they play on one of their classic rock apps...

Got my first com unit last year.  The main reason was to talk to my daughter as she learned how to ride a motorcycle.  Being able to give advice in real time is awesome.

I've also started listening to the radio while commuting and having the capability to answer the phone while riding is handy. 

It is one of those modern conveniences that you get used to quick and wonder how you ever got along without it.  Plus, they all have off buttons. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AirborneSilva said:

That would be great if  you were in a group and all others had the same.  When I got my bike I made them give me a new helmet with bluetooth, I pretty much ride solo but hope to go on a camping trip with a good friend who lives just a bit north of you, I'm sure he will be using a bluetooth device so we can communicate.  Until then I listen to Sirius from my phone and yeah AC DC is a great choice for listening pleasure, I just let Sirius pic what they play on one of their classic rock apps...

Not all Bluetooths connect or connect easily. Which make and model do you have and which does your buddy. As experienced as I am with older and newer cardo and sena units it can be a long and frustrating ordeal to connect them - or instantaneous. 

2 hours ago, Toymaster said:

Got my first com unit last year.  The main reason was to talk to my daughter as she learned how to ride a motorcycle.  Being able to give advice in real time is awesome.

I've also started listening to the radio while commuting and having the capability to answer the phone while riding is handy. 

It is one of those modern conveniences that you get used to quick and wonder how you ever got along without it.  Plus, they all have off buttons. 

And in the newest you can just say “….music off” without touching a button. I love the new voice control features. 

12 hours ago, NeilW said:

Not all Bluetooths connect or connect easily. Which make and model do you have and which does your buddy. As experienced as I am with older and newer cardo and sena units it can be a long and frustrating ordeal to connect them - or instantaneous. 

Good morning Neil, I'm sure they gave me the cheapest Bluetooth they had with the helmet, it's "Uclear Motion".  Not sure what my friend has but they assured me (yeah I know salesmen will say anything), that it would have no problem connecting to others. 

55 minutes ago, AirborneSilva said:

Good morning Neil, I'm sure they gave me the cheapest Bluetooth they had with the helmet, it's "Uclear Motion".  Not sure what my friend has but they assured me (yeah I know salesmen will say anything), that it would have no problem connecting to others. 

UClear is like the #3 brand - you did good. As long as your buddy has a "newer" Bluetooth unit then he will have a universal pairing mode or phone pairing mode. Look in the instructions for Universal pairing for both of you. If that doesn't work then try hone pairing- one of you will lose your ability to talk on your phone but you will be able to talk with each other. Most important is stay calm. The first time you pair give yourselves extra time as it could connect the first time or not until you both call tech support for your brands... good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks Neil, was wondering how good this brand was since it's not one of the well known brands that people seem to get.  I do have the phone app which seems simple to navigate so we'll see. 

25 minutes ago, AirborneSilva said:

Thanks Neil, was wondering how good this brand was since it's not one of the well known brands that people seem to get.  I do have the phone app which seems simple to navigate so we'll see. 

Good brand - has been posted by others that they have no problems with the  Uclear brand

• Like 1

I started riding and later racing dirt bikes at age 14. I'm 60 now and switched to dual sport 9 years ago. In  46 years of riding in any capacity I've never needed electronic communication. Me and the crew I ride with have hand signals for most on the bike issues one typically encounters. I like hearing the bike and my environment so no music either...ever. For me personally it's more expense and more stuff to have to mess with and maintain. I like it simple. Nothing against Comms though, to each his own. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alter Ego said:

I started riding and later racing dirt bikes at age 14. I'm 60 now and switched to dual sport 9 years ago. In  46 years of riding in any capacity I've never needed electronic communication. Me and the crew I ride with have hand signals for most on the bike issues one typically encounters. I like hearing the bike and my environment so no music either...ever. For me personally it's more expense and more stuff to have to mess with and maintain. I like it simple. Nothing against Comms though, to each his own. 

You make a great point - and the best reason this particular forum is so friendly - everyone agrees " to each his own". 

I am on the other end of the electronic spectrum.  I have to prepare the night before a ride to get everything charged. Klim Airbag, Somewear sat comm unit, BrakeFree helmet light,  Insta360 camera, the Bluetooth com for the helmet I will be using...but I enjoy the stuff and feel naked without it all. But that is just me. The only must have's are Klim Airbag and Sat Comm. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, NeilW said:

I consider my Yaesu as an emergency comm device because "someone" has to be listening and you have to be in range of a repeater you know the frequency for. It is behind my Somewear and Garmin Montana 701 sat units.

VHF is an interesting banD.  I have regularly made 100 km+ contacts to repeaters, some on the other side of mountains believe it or not (knife edge refraction)  With the CB stuff that's a bit different because it's on UHF.  You basically need to be line of sight but the range is massive.  I have made UHF contacts on the HT over 100km, and that on 1/2 a Watt.

VHFKNIFEEDGEREFRACTION-S.png.2c097c76b2490774dae45a2a4ffb0db3.png

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 6:27 AM, Tenerider said:

Kenwood guy, but the VX6R is an awesome unit!

73 de DK8XX

Yes well I don't do a lot of DX myself, though I have a decent TX480-Sat and longwire set up.   I used to, and will again, it's just a time consumer as you well know.  I had a little kenwood HT back in the day, it could receive SSB which I thought was neat, but I sold it after getting a VX8 dual band.  The VX6 is better for screen size and simplicity though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, winddown said:

VHF is an interesting banD.  I have regularly made 100 km+ contacts to repeaters, some on the other side of mountains believe it or not (knife edge refraction)  With the CB stuff that's a bit different because it's on UHF.  You basically need to be line of sight but the range is massive.  I have made UHF contacts on the HT over 100km, and that on 1/2 a Watt.

The one time, back in 2009 that I needed to get help on my Yaesu I was at the bottom of a very deep ravine and although I could hear chatter on the band, no one could hear me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, winddown said:

Off topic, but the Elmers from my club keep telling the following story when they went on an DXpedition to Jersey (GJ) in the 1980s:

After a bottle of Scotch, one of those guys (Diethelm DJ2YE, silent key since a few years) pulled out the telescopic lambda/4 antenna of his Icom portable VHF transceiver and called "CQ Neanderthal" on his local club frequency - running 2.5W FM.

He was shocked when a club member from the Neanderthal area (roughly where he lived) answered him "Diethelm, is that you? ".

Distance between Jersey and Neanderthal area is at least 500 km, maybe more. Try that with Bluetooth 😁

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, winddown said:

Yes well I don't do a lot of DX myself, though I have a decent TX480-Sat and longwire set up.   I used to, and will again, it's just a time consumer as you well know.  I had a little kenwood HT back in the day, it could receive SSB which I thought was neat, but I sold it after getting a VX8 dual band.  The VX6 is better for screen size and simplicity though.

Time consuming, so true. I really like the hobby, but actually prefer sitting (or standing) on my T7 than in the shack.

I've had a TS-480HX for some years, but now I'm running a TS-590SG.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Off topic, but the Elmers from my club keep telling the following story when they went on an DXpedition to Jersey (GJ) in the 1980s:

After a bottle of Scotch, one of those guys (Diethelm DJ2YE, silent key since a few years) pulled out the telescopic lambda/4 antenna of his Icom portable VHF transceiver and called "CQ Neanderthal" on his local club frequency - running 2.5W FM.

He was shocked when a club member from the Neanderthal area (roughly where he lived) answered him "Diethelm, is that you? ".

Distance between Jersey and Neanderthal area is at least 500 km, maybe more. Try that with Bluetooth 😁

@Tenerider are you sitting down? I remembered reading about this Sena app when doing a previous Sena review: The RideConnected app offers Sena headset and helmet users an alternative to bluetooth intercom communication using their mobile network to communicate over any distance, and with more riders than ever before. No longer will riders be limited by range, but will now be able to connect with up to a virtually limitless amount of riders anywhere in the world as long as they are within LTE range of their mobile carrier.

• Like 1