Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Steering wheel

Jacquotch

Hi,

i gave just by a t7, I made 1300 km... and I receive a steering wheel until 40km/h onward. It's the same for someone?

my mechanicians says it s the tire studs. Tires Pirelli scorpion rally str.

rgds.

jacques

No problems with my t7 on stock tyres... I think you refer to a wobble? But I'm not sure 

• Premium Member

No Wheel Wobble Shaking on mine.

If You mean wobbling,check the tire pressure, check that the front wheel is balanced properly, that the rim is straight and there is no freeplay in the steering head bearings.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

• 4 months later...

Hi all

i'm getting the wobble of the bar. When you roll off the throtle from 80kmh all the way down to about 40kmh. If you lift your hands off the bar you can then see it as it is very noticable. I checked tyre presure, the guys at my local Yamaha service center checked head bearings, wheel bearing as well as balance. I now think it might be the tyres which have a grove running in the middle. The grove is of different pattern/width every other block and this might be the cause. I will try different tyres next time round and see if it helps

• Like 1

Is the tyre sat correctly on the rim as that will cause it to shake a bit. Just spin the front wheel and pick out any non normal imbalace

Already done, looks perfect. This is noticable only on road, not off road,  and if you take hands off. When hands are on it almost dissappears. I'm used to a very light grip on the handdlebars of my GS but when i hold the bars lightly on the T7 on smooth tarmac i can sense it and find it rather unsettling / annoying.

• Like 1

i have noticed the back wheel alighnment is out by a couple of mm. I will try and correct it and see if this helps. Does anyone know what the rear wheel torque setting is?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Osprio said:

Already done, looks perfect. This is noticable only on road, not off road,  and if you take hands off. When hands are on it almost dissappears. I'm used to a very light grip on the handdlebars of my GS but when i hold the bars lightly on the T7 on smooth tarmac i can sense it and find it rather unsettling / annoying.

If you have a larger tread off road tire then this can cause this effect while on a smoother surface. 

10 hours ago, T7lee said:

If you have a larger tread off road tire then this can cause this effect while on a smoother surface. 

Tyres are the Scorpion STR the bike came with

On 6/16/2020 at 9:13 AM, Osprio said:

Tyres are the Scorpion STR the bike came with

Next would be wheel balancing, if that good then steering collar check make sure its all torqued up correctly as well as forks, yoke. 

If its all good try removing the front screen to see if it goes away, they can sometimes if poor design act like a sail. 

Beyond that if still no luck ask the dealer to test it under the same conditions you're experiencing the problem. 

On 2/5/2020 at 4:54 PM, Cruizin said:

Steering wheel? 

driving ride em on down GIF by The Rolling Stones

My thoughts exactly.

• Moderators

Unfortunately,  "deceleration wobble" is nothing unique to the T700.  My FJR exhibited it as well as many other bikes as evidenced by this paper.  After checking head and wheel bearings, torques, tire tread and pressures, I resigned myself to not letting go of the bars while decelerating below about 45 mph. Not that there is a need to do so, but it was disconcerting when it happened.  Solution- keep your lunch hooks on the grips until you stop! 

head shake

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

17 hours ago, CAJW said:

Unfortunately,  "deceleration wobble" is nothing unique to the T700.  My FJR exhibited it as well as many other bikes as evidenced by this paper.  After checking head and wheel bearings, torques, tire tread and pressures, I resigned myself to not letting go of the bars while decelerating below about 45 mph. Not that there is a need to do so, but it was disconcerting when it happened.  Solution- keep your lunch hooks on the grips until you stop! 

head shake

I most certainly do! Had bike at the dealers yesterday  and after  road testing they agreed there is a problem, checked with and without screen, all bearings, tyres, wheel balancing, spokes...the lot. We did try their demonstrator and it had no wobble. Then again it only had 3oo miles on it. My milage with the Pirellis is 1600, still,not enough wear to justify such a wobble. They decided tyres need to be changed as last resort before taking apart forks.. I'm going for the TKC 70 as i do mostly road riding and they have a smoother profile.  I will report once it's done, 3rd of July, as they currently are on skeleton staff.

I should mention that you do feel the wobble on decelaration before a corner (between 60 and 35 mph WITH HANDS ON) which unsettles you somewhat.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Osprio said:

I most certainly do! Had bike at the dealers yesterday  and after  road testing they agreed there is a problem, checked with and without screen, all bearings, tyres, wheel balancing, spokes...the lot. We did try their demonstrator and it had no wobble. Then again it only had 3oo miles on it. My milage with the Pirellis is 1600, still,not enough wear to justify such a wobble. They decided tyres need to be changed as last resort before taking apart forks.. I'm going for the TKC 70 as i do mostly road riding and they have a smoother profile.  I will report once it's done, 3rd of July, as they currently are on skeleton staff.

I should mention that you do feel the wobble on decelaration before a corner (between 60 and 35 mph WITH HANDS ON) which unsettles you somewhat.

Not good! I misinterpreted your original post in that I thought you only felt the head shake with hands off. Feeling it while holding the bars is most definitely an issue, looking forward to hearing how the new tires work out.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 weeks later...

Well, bike checked by dealership today and found out that it was not the tyre. The rim was uneven in two almost diametrically oposite points with no sign of impact or stress on rim or tyre. They think it has to do with the spokes tension. Strangely enough the wheel had two balancing weights on the spokes and we had a look at another three T7s that where there and only one had one weight with the other two no weights. Me thinks there was a problem with the wheel from the off. Needless to say they will contact Yamaha under warranty and see what they say. I am getting ready for a fight if they dont replace. The problem was mentioned to them at first service, 600 miles, and then they test drove at 1500 miles after which they said it needs a look into. It's now at 1800 miles, has got much worse and wobbles like a belly dancer...

Edited by Osprio

I have the same exact problem , at the same exact speed. I mentioned it at first service, the mechanic just told me it's my imagination and let it go. I then assumed maybe its the stock tires, I got a set of new tires waiting to be installed, and before I install them will contact the dealer again, otherwise they will blame the new tires and my install. Sad part is this has been there since day 1, and after a few thousand K's my rim has a few dings, so I feel they will blame me first :(

What is interesting is that the dealership has half a dozen mechanics, and considering they sell T7s and KTMs, they have no one that can do spoke / wheel balancing!! Go Figure

Hi guys,

Just got back from an authorized yamaha dealer/service (5000km). The distributor's decision (probably supported by the manufacturer) is to replace the front tire with attention to its runout. Apparently Yamaha is already putting on Metzeler tires for the new Tenere 700.  You can refer to the situation in Poland (Warsaw, Poznan).

Cheers

Pit

Hello from Spain, and count another one to the list with handling issues.

I have been having vibrations and weird handling glitches at low speeds, below 40km/h, but I was told that I might not be used to riding knobs, that my dr650 definitely has. I have adjusted the throttle sag, and suspension but no change. the run-out in the front rim is about 1 mm so within spec.

Well now around 70 km/h when loaded with saddlebags the wobble is dramatic. at my 1000km service they replaced my tire for another scorpion went for a 500km test drive and is getting worse, to the point that my enjoyment of the bike is suffering, the small vibrations at 90km/h for a couple of hours get my hands kind of numb. taking it Thursday for another look, but the mechanic is definitely getting frustrated since they seem to find nothing wrong.

• Sad 1

The dealer should be taking a wheel off a new bike, putting it on and apologising not sending you off on a new bike that has a problem...

Good luck with the dealer! 

46 minutes ago, Gk83 said:

The dealer should be taking a wheel off a new bike, putting it on and apologising not sending you off on a new bike that has a problem...

Could be  the new tyre has a problem too! This is for the dealer to troubleshoot. Frustrated mechanic is NOT an excuse don't except the bike till correctly repaired! 

Yesterday my front tire was replaced. All wobbles gone so in my case the problem was solved

Cheers 

Pit

• Like 2