Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Standing vertical or leaning ?

NeilW

I am a stander, I can stand all day and be way more relaxed and enjoy the ride when standing. Some have questioned how it is possible to stand 8-12 hours and I would like to share this bit of info. I was looking at a review I did and there is a photo of me standing Vertical. Very relaxed and in the position I can stand in all day on roads or non technical terrain. I happened to be looking a a review on Rideapart and saw a rider leaning in, but on flat ground.  I could not stand in the leaning in position all day. I lean in  and as far over the front wheel as possible for going over rough or technical spots and then revert to vertical. 

If you are a stander, do you spend most of your time vertical or leaning in?  fyi Steg Pegz are the bomb for standing, I will be posting my review of them soon.

vertical.png

leaning.png

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

• Members

I'm a stander too.  I lean forward and bend my knees as required by the terrain.  And yes, my 10-buck homemade stegpegz are the bomb for standing and aggressive offroad riding!

• Like 1

I stand vertically like you often when I just need to get off the seat.  When the going gets tough I definitely move from vertical to the "Z" style attack bending position.  Then back to vertical.  I could not be in an attack position for hours in a day, but I do feel much more in control in that position.

33 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'm a stander too.  I lean forward and bend my knees as required by the terrain.  And yes, my 10-buck homemade stegpegz are the bomb for standing and aggressive offroad riding!

Would love to know more about homemade steg pegz. Haven't put much thought into it yet but perhaps skateboard wheels would work????

• Like 1

• Members

Here's a pic from a recent StegPegz post.  Cheap skateboard wheels bolted to the OEM pannier racks, which have a bracket in the right spot:

1 hour ago, DaveT7 said:

Would love to know more about homemade steg pegz. Haven't put much thought into it yet but perhaps skateboard wheels would work????

• Like 1

If you're standing all the time how do you watch your mirrors? 

You don't!

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

17 minutes ago, AirborneSilva said:

@AirborneSilva great question. 

1. I turn my head and look when it is clear ahead of me. 

2. I lower down for a glance

3.  If I need to be looking often- like in city traffic,  i tip my left mirror slightly up about 1/2" and since I stand vertical I am able to use it  as I am a bit behind it

4. off road at higher speeds when I want more control by leaning over the tank/front wheel, I have to momentarily sit.

5. I do keep very aware of what's happening behind me with keeping track of cars entering the road behind me or cars approaching from a long way off but closing in.

unfortunately for you it is illegal to stand while riding in Florida. Your butt must be on the saddle.  316.2085

Bummer....

22 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

You don't!

No, actually I do. Want to mount a second left mirror to be set at the correct angle all the time but can't figure out how to mount it...yet

• Like 1

Interesting. Never could quite understand the desire but I know a couple of riders who prefer to stand almost all the time and will straighten up some if not in attack mode.  Being fairly tall I'd have to raise the bars to stupid heights to stand straight up so if I'm standing at best I'm in semi attack mode but that's fine with me as I follow the advice of old school Enduro champ Dwight Rudder  who says "Sit when you can and stand when you have to", so if I'm standing it's because I'm in attack mode anyway except for short spells of stretching on a long ride.

Doing so is never going to make me an Enduro champion like him but it makes me feel better that one recommends it since I like to sit whenever the situation permits.  🙂

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Interesting. Never could quite understand the desire but I know a couple of riders who prefer to stand almost all the time and will straighten up some if not in attack mode.  Being fairly tall I'd have to raise the bars to stupid heights to stand straight up so if I'm standing at best I'm in semi attack mode but that's fine with me as I follow the advice of old school Enduro champ Dwight Rudder  who says "Sit when you can and stand when you have to", so if I'm standing it's because I'm in attack mode anyway except for short spells of stretching on a long ride.

Doing so is never going to make me an Enduro champion like him but it makes me feel better that one recommends it since I like to sit whenever the situation permits.  🙂

I like the view, the no buffeting, the quiet in my helmet and my butt never gets sore. My venture touring bike only allows for sitting but it is a comfortable lounge chair. I like that ride in a different way

F5B8FD54-B282-4F52-934F-D319ABD3656A.jpeg.4d0f13158a0fbdb3ad34c07f427ce85c.jpeg

• Like 1

I sit most of the time and only stand in technical sections or briefly to rest my butt. When many others are standing due to difficult terrain, many times I briefly lift my butt off the seat just long enough to move my weight onto the foot pegs when the bike needs to be free from my weight on the seat. I guess I might be a bit lazy...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NeilW said:

No, actually I do. Want to mount a second left mirror to be set at the correct angle all the time but can't figure out how to mount it...yet

Indestructible rearview mirrors for dual-sport and adventure motorcycles. RAM mounted for adjustability, impact protection, and ease of folding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Indestructible rearview mirrors for dual-sport and adventure motorcycles. RAM mounted for adjustability, impact protection, and ease of folding.

@Rider 101 yes except I already have a ram  mount in that spot holding my phone and action camera on loop recording. No place to attach the Ram mount. If I use a double ball and move my phone to the inside, it will block my Speedo because my Speedo is moved to the left from the Twalcom Speedo relocation 🙂

030B6D50-9F3D-437B-BA8F-50805CB8348A.jpeg

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

@Rider 101 yes except I already have a ram  mount in that spot holding my phone and action camera on loop recording. No place to attach the Ram mount. If I use a double ball and move my phone to the inside, it will block my Speedo because my Speedo is moved to the left from the Twalcom Speedo relocation 🙂

030B6D50-9F3D-437B-BA8F-50805CB8348A.jpeg

Neil,

have a look at the trail version. It has a different mount system.

Edited by Rider 101

Well, I enjoy standing vertical a lot - it's a lot of fun on twisting roads actually, and very relaxing to be on straight sections. But it's not more than 5% onroad I guess. Offroad, on smoother terrain I stand about 50% of the time vertical, maybe more (following the advice which @Windblown mentioned, "sit when you can and stand when you must"). On technical stuff, 95% of the time - I only sit down to relax my upper body and when terrain allows it then.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Well, I enjoy standing vertical a lot - it's a lot of fun on twisting roads actually, and very relaxing to be on straight sections. But it's not more than 5% onroad I guess. Offroad, on smoother terrain I stand about 50% of the time vertical, maybe more (following the advice which @Windblown mentioned, "sit when you can and stand when you must"). On technical stuff, 95% of the time - I only sit down to relax my upper body and when terrain allows it then.

@Tenerider  The Steg Pegz add a whole level of relaxation - so you don't need to "relax your upper body". it is already relaxed.

• Like 2

• Members
20 hours ago, AirborneSilva said:

I have Highway Dirt Bike hand guards and use their mirrors as a secondary set.  The left side is adjusted so I can see behind me when standing.

ScreenShot2023-04-05at2_26_24PM.jpg.13833e1fd470cd9a7a14aafdefbc3d8f.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Neil,

have a look at the trail version. It has a different mount system.

@Rider 101 thanks for the extra push. I spent some time twisting and turning my 3 prong RAM ball mount and found a position where phone is not blocking the Speedo and a RAM extension can reach far enough to the left to have a mirror attached. I ordered the widest ball mount mirror I could find. I will advise in about 10 days if it works. Thanks for the push.