Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Valve adjustment

sracer

My T7 is approaching 24K miles. Curious as to what others have paid for a valve clearance check and adjustment in the US?

I’m sure some have been billed more than several hundred on here, and the valves have almost always been within tolerance. Worth doing yourself if you have time. My biggest doubt is the workmanship of the dealers. 

• Like 1

Not in US but might give an idea. 

Edited by Dougie

3 minutes ago, Dougie said:

I’m sure some have been billed more than several hundred on here, and the valves have almost always been within tolerance. Worth doing yourself if you have time. My biggest doubt is the workmanship of the dealers. 

agreed, safest is to do yourself. dealers are quite relaxed with VCs for jap bikes as they rarely need adjusting, so much so some dont bother checking, sometimes charge you for that too! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ninot7 said:

agreed, safest is to do yourself. dealers are quite relaxed with VCs for jap bikes as they rarely need adjusting, so much so some dont bother checking, sometimes charge you for that too! 

Many riders have no idea what valves are nor why they would need to be adjusted. Best they go to a dealer they trust.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Black99S said:

Many riders have no idea what valves are nor why they would need to be adjusted. Best they go to a dealer they trust.

Also correct. Although owning a simple bike like the Tenere should open up the diy world for most riders. 

Valve check on a T7 is anything but simple as far as I know.

You even have to remove the camshafts to make adjustments.