Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere Loyalty?

DaveT7

How long do you think you'll have your T7? 

Historically, I've kept bikes for 8 or more years at a time. (except the BMW - that only stayed two weeks (yuk)). I'm now reaching that age where if I keep the Tenere for 8-10 years, I'll be getting long in the tooth before the bike does. This got me thinking how long this affair will last...

Edited by DaveT7

I go through bikes like underwear it seems sometimes. 
The only bike I won’t sell unless I buy a new one is my KTM 500. I’ve had it for 6-7 years now which is a record for me. 
My advice is don’t ride one or you’ll have to get one. 

Most of the time after a year or three they go down the road and I get something different. 

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 1

I'm enjoying the T700 a lot but haven't the miles on it to develop an emotional attachment.  I could sell it tomorrow if the urge struck me.   My 790 would be much harder for me to sell. It's a mean and capable ripper and I have a lot of memories from the places it has taken me. Coming up on 4 years without too much hassle.  Hopefully be able to say the same about the T700 some day. Time will tell! 

• Like 2

Well, I have already moved on from the T700. However, I have a LOT of respect for it and appreciated it a lot, so I hang around here still. I just get bored with any bike after a year or 2. The T7 took a full 2 years before I had to find something new to farkle. I had the T7 perfected pretty much, altho I could not entirely fix the reach to ground, without compromising suspension compliance.  I could see another one easily in my future, if I live long enough, at 73 now.

It is a verry well put together machine!

• Like 3

I just add to my stable.   Just now thinking of upgrading my '06 R1,  those rider aids my save my life as I get older. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

The only bike I will never sell is my FJR 1300. This is the last model year and it is the best comfortable long distance sport touring bike ever made.  Well, unless they come out with a new one.

Good plan! I sold my Gen 1, 2005 FJR after owning it for 10 years.  That's the only one I wish I'd have kept, but thinking the T7 is a long term keeper. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I usually ride my bikes until they are done, only one time i sold a bike because of debts after a divorce but the rest i ran over 100.000km or crashed them (only 2 and one of them had 114.000km on it).
I spend a lot of time and money in getting the bike my way and ride too many km's a year to take advantage of getting a new one every 30.000km.

• Like 4

I used to buy and sell bikes frequently. Now, I tend to buy more carefully and never sell. I still have the FJ600 that I bought new in 1986 and ride it regularly.  The T7 is a keeper for sure. 

20210311_162619(2).jpg.f8a5e32b122ebba4648d8fadc19a85e8.jpg

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 6

8~10 years easily because I doubt they will ever make a bike in the future I'll want to buy.  Something went wrong in the bike industry in the past few years, all the new models of the bikes I like have turned to crap!  Made of much cheaper materials or full of bugs,  I have a 2018 S1000RR and all the models since have cheaped on on brakes and suspension and are always breaking down.   The New Hayabusa is less powerful than the predecessor and junkier even though it has the modern rider aids, which you can live without.   No, they seem to only make crap now and I refuse to buy junk.  Give it 5 more years and you can imagine what the quality will be...

• Like 1

first bike. wont sell it unless i cant repair or maintain it any more. 

i have opted for a 2e bike but i just dont need to. as it does everything good enoch to not be wanting somthing els.

+ like ray might agree.  the dirt and highway capability makes it for me atleast one of a kind

even if its my first bike i have ridden multiple bike's for longer period's.

and to add. all motorcyclist's i know regret selling there first, don't know if its a thing or not.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 3:45 PM, Cruizin said:

The only bike I will never sell is my FJR 1300. This is the last model year and it is the best comfortable long distance sport touring bike ever made.  Well, unless they come out with a new one.

I'm struggling to let go of my ZG1400 which I bought because I couldn't quite justify the extra expense of the FJR13. Also loved the FJ11 when it was a thing. 

• Members

I'm a year and a half in and don't see the T7 going anywhere anytime soon.  But I have a bad habit of buying bikes and not ever selling them.

19 hours ago, Cruizin said:

What year is it ? Those are great bikes too

It's a 2009 I think. Unfortunately we have a "one toy at a time" policy, so it has to go. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaveT7 said:

It's a 2009 I think. Unfortunately we have a "one toy at a time" policy, so it has to go. 

I had a 2009 for a few years, great bike!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cruizin said:

What year is it ? Those are great bikes too

23 hours ago, DaveT7 said:

I'm struggling to let go of my ZG1400 which I bought because I couldn't quite justify the extra expense of the FJR13. Also loved the FJ11 when it was a thing. 

I should have kept all my old bikes... Yamaha '84 FJ1100, '82 Seca Turbo, '82 RD350, Suzuki '83 KN85... sigh... 

Edited by roygilbo
update
  • Like 2

Things are just things to me. I don't grow attached to anything. I had a 79 chevy that I loved when I was young and it was stolen from me, learned never to get attached to things after that. I walked into my dealership the other day and there was a new 890 sitting there. I didn't notice the sold sign on it and it was probably a good thing as I'd have traded in the t7 right then and there and been about 7 grand lighter. I may still do it soon, who knows...

T7 is here to stay along with my old xt660z tenere. They don't bike like this anymore, T7 is the closest as you can get today. 

Bought a 2020. Rode it 6,000 miles and sold it. Within 2 months I regretted it. Bought a 2022 3 months ago. It's just hard to put a number on the reassurance of its reliability when far away from home. Just such dependable motors. 

• Like 1

I bought my T7 new in Sep 2020, and still love it, and feel it will be with me for a while, it has taken me from the UK to Spain and France a couple of times and I have become attached to it, long trips seem to create a trust, I know the machine well, and am planning more tours, maybe down through Morocco to Marrakesh. 

Bonded.

• Like 2

Till something catastrophic happens to it or me, quite simply.   It's just a great little bike, fun to make a project out of, cheap to run, incredibly cheap to insure, and competent at so much.   What's not to love?

Having said that, I don't ever envision having it as my only motorcycle.

I am also planning to keep my 2019 T7 long term.

Maybe I will reconsider if they make a useful update to the bike that's worth it. 

I think it's inevitable that they will sooner or later update the CP2 platform to ride-by-wire, and we might get some interesting features at that point. Also make exhaust hanger replacable  pls 😅

My bike has 40.000KM on it so resale value has tanked anyway. That's the only sad thing aout keep a bike long term. Here in Italy if a bike reaches 50.000KM you might as well ride it until it breaks apart, unless it's a GS. Understandably nobody really will  a high mileage bike, especially one that is scratched up 😁