Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM heated grips larger diameter?

Oxxa

Question

How do I install Yamaha OEM heated grips if they are a larger diameter than the white throttle tube and there is clearly space inbetween them?

What can I use to thicken the white throttle tube so I can bring it closer to create friction? 

5 answers to this question

Heard people use tape like cyclists do for their handle bars.  Or get the a thin white tape like plumbers tape  

Guys at sportsbikeshop bham told me to try hair-spray as well to get them to stick.  Lubes them to easily get them on and sticks well.  Checked online and some mix a bit of that other liquidy glue together.  

don't know about the OEM yammy heated grips, but the standard one's come with a new throttle tube, so it's slide on and off.

I used gorilla glue on my Oxford grips  - it expands- if you search you’ll find the thread!

I copied and paosted my answer just wrote on another post 

What i used in past was gorilla glue, however need make sure surface is nice and rough. One time i had gorilla glue the heated broke the bond as I left the inside of the grip smooth so there was no mechanical bond.

this time i didnt use any glue,

installed grips, wired them up, then took them off and wrapped the clutch bar in a Strong flexible Gorilla tape (2" wide so get goo single layer wrap) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B1N94H4L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Then as grips heated up i slid them on gentley twinting 1/2" left and right to avoid ligting the tape

they are solid as a rock now and can be taken off in future if needs bit with some twisting and pulling

the Koso throttle grip was already a tight fit on the throttle tube and has not moved

Do you guys think it’s stupid to use duct tape on the white throttle tube to make it thicker and tighter between the heated grip and the tube, and then apply strong glue

will heat will make duct tape glue slip?

Edited by Oxxa