Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Clutch noise (squeal)

365moto.eu

For some time my clutch (both cold and hot) has been rattling when I start with the engine at 4/5,000 rpm. This thing is obviously stronger when cold, but also when hot - in fact once I stopped off-road on restart it does. I have already disassembled the clutch several times and replaced everything; and I also tried expensive solutions for the clutch plates and springs (non-OEM), but in any case after a while the same problem reoccurs.
The real problem isn't the noise but that the transmission rips and therefore there are situations bordering on the dangerous.
I did some research on the internet, but apart from those who have had failures such as broken discs (it's not my case), I haven't found other cases or advice other than trying to change the oil (I tried Yamalube, Motul 7100 and now Motorex). Someone says they have had the same problem, but no one proposes solutions, as if it were a very rare problem. While in my case it is serious and continuous and occurs from the first hundreds of km with the new clutch.
I'm now ordering all the bell, thrust plate, bearing, etc, original and new, hoping it's a problem beyond just the plates + springs.
Even in Yamaha, if you ask, they have never encountered this type of problem/report... yet I know at least 3 people who have had "hints" of a problem similar to mine. Has this happened to any of you?

Why do you start at such high rpm?

I just pusg start without touching the throttle.

Do you mean starting the engine with throttle engaged, or start from standstill with 4k rpms and then slowly releasing the clutch lever?

Thanks guys, did I explain myself wrong?
When hot off-road starting is at medium revs (4,000/5,000 rpm) and it's normal... don't you think?
When cold, however, I'm not talking about starting at those regimes, but with normal release.

Yet in both cases the clutch (I'm not saying it, mechanics and other competent people say it, as well as myself with 30 years of motorcycle riding under my seat) makes this grating noise, with jerks.

The handlebar adjustment is correct, with the classic lever play of 5/8 mm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

Do you mean starting the engine with throttle engaged, or start from standstill with 4k rpms and then slowly releasing the clutch lever?

I mean to be with the engine warm and off. For example, I'm off-road and I start the engine with the gear engaged (or not) and then I set off (for example uphill) giving a little accelerator and sliding the clutch just enough to make a correct off-road start

• Like 1

my clutch will grab and screach on a cold start sometimes not always. it started when i first changed the oil from yamalube to motul.

• Moderators

@365moto.eu Here's an extensive thread in the Engine & Powertrain sub forum that might help you.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

7 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@365moto.eu Here's an extensive thread in the Engine & Powertrain sub forum that might help you.

Thanks, I had read it and no one has identified an exact reason; there are those who have burnt discs, those who talk about a bearing, those who have a cable that is too stretched. In my case, none of this. The only thing is the generic description of cold noise. In my case - I repeat - the noise is there when cold, but sometimes even when hot. And I confirm that once the disks are taken apart, none are burnt or dry.

Snort.... 😄

Edited by 365moto.eu

• Moderators

Have you tried putting the bike in gear ( obviously with the clutch fully disengaged) before starting the engine when cold?  That seems to help as mine does the "squeal " when starting out in first gear, if I don't make the cold engine start in gear. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

58 minutes ago, 365moto.eu said:

Thanks guys, did I explain myself wrong?
When hot off-road starting is at medium revs (4,000/5,000 rpm) and it's normal... don't you think?
When cold, however, I'm not talking about starting at those regimes, but with normal release.

Yet in both cases the clutch (I'm not saying it, mechanics and other competent people say it, as well as myself with 30 years of motorcycle riding under my seat) makes this grating noise, with jerks.

The handlebar adjustment is correct, with the classic lever play of 5/8 mm

Check your pressure plate for wear/grove in the surface where the first plate contacts it. If it has worn enough to create a grove it can cause symptoms similar to what you are reporting.

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Have you tried putting the bike in gear ( obviously with the clutch fully disengaged) before starting the engine when cold?  That seems to help as mine does the "squeal " when starting out in first gear, if I don't make the cold engine start in gear. 

I'll let you know, even if it seems not the case...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Check your pressure plate for wear/grove in the surface where the first plate contacts it. If it has worn enough to create a grove it can cause symptoms similar to what you are reporting.

I'll check, thank you

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have exactly the same issue. It started happening with cold engine. Now it sometimes happen no matter the temperature. 

I'm using Motul for last 20 ooo km. It seems that we all have this in common.

Just changed the clutch plates with new OEM ones, had the duck quack/squeal at startup since 3,000kms. Was using Motul, not sure if the esters or something were the culprit, now switched to Liqi-Moly which I ran in previous bikes with no issues. So far so good, could be new plates or oil

• 9 months later...
On 6/23/2023 at 4:28 PM, ScorpionT16 said:

Just changed the clutch plates with new OEM ones, had the duck quack/squeal at startup since 3,000kms. Was using Motul, not sure if the esters or something were the culprit, now switched to Liqi-Moly which I ran in previous bikes with no issues. So far so good, could be new plates or oil

Has anyone noticed if the noise came back since changing oil. I think I hear mine squeal a bit more now I'm using Motul 5000 

Mine still squeak/chatter occasionally with a very recent Yamalube oil change. I’m sure if we swapped the kickstand to the other side the problem would disappear…

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 9:46 PM, Samm said:

Mine still squeak/chatter occasionally with a very recent Yamalube oil change. I’m sure if we swapped the kickstand to the other side the problem would disappear…

That would work I reckon. I have a 30 year old XTZ660 and the clutch on in it is beautiful and progressive. I wonder what it is about the modern engine that makes it feel snatchy and make these noises ?