Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Water pump hose damage. How bad?

Oxxa

Question

15 answers to this question

Are they leaking? Can’t see in the photo.  Just look a bit furry to me From salt.  Should clean up easy. Then watch for leaks. 

• Like 1

It doesnt look bad in the picture. If its not leaking I would run it.

• Like 1

If it’s gouged and not leaking clean it up good with rubbing alcohol, put a dollop of JB Weld on it, and forget about it. 

• Moderators

Most agree a container of JB Weld or quick set epoxy putty should be under the seat for emergencies anyway. Looking at your picture,  I'd run it as is or put a dab of epoxy on it if you want.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 hours ago, Oxxa said:

Should i replace?

What's the issue?  All I see is a small dent

• Like 2

Its a rock damage dent, not leaking.

Could it potentially leak? Theres some white stuff showing up, could be rock residue i dont know

the white fuzz look more like corrosion.

the dent I wouldn't worry about it so long no leaks, dent looks tiny anyway

if worried, wipe it clean, then run engine and sprinkle some talc powder over pipe. if it gets wet or goes into clumps then you have a leak/weep

Edited by john_aero
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oxxa said:

Its a rock damage dent, not leaking.

Could it potentially leak? Theres some white stuff showing up, could be rock residue i dont know

If there was even a small hole it would be jetting out under pressure, clean it up I'd say, wipe off the white then run the bike up to temperature so the coolant is under full pressure and see what's happening there.  Coolant leaks from my experience look green.

It's certainly a good ad for getting the pipe cover.  How did you get the dent BTW?

Edited by winddown

2 minutes ago, winddown said:

If there was even a small hole it would be jetting out under pressure, clean it up I'd say, wipe off the white then run the bike up to temperature so the coolant is under full pressure and see what's happening there.  Coolant leaks from my experience look green.

It's certainly a good ad for getting the pipe cover.  How did you get the dent BTW?

I cleaned it and its only a dent without leaking. I dropped the bike a week ago and only noticed it yesterday. Could have been a point rock

• Like 1

If we replaced everything that leaked, there wouldn’t be a bloke over 40left on the planet😂🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

If we replaced everything that leaked, there wouldn’t be a bloke over 40left on the planet😂🍺

Just snorted my morning coffee all over my keyboard! Lol!

Thanks for the laugh!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dougie said:

About 4 years ago I discovered that "one for the road" was now the leak I took just prior to jumping on the bike.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Oxxa said:

I cleaned it and its only a dent without leaking. I dropped the bike a week ago and only noticed it yesterday. Could have been a point rock

No worries then.  I like the ideas the guys above said about carrying some JB Weld, I think I'll do that, and perhaps some thin copper foil and hose-clamps to put over it and make any patch job extra secure.