Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Just one ?

If you could only own 1 bike. A dual sport, or sport bike? MX, Enduro, Touring, Adventure?

What would it be?  

I can afford  several now.

The first new bike  was a ‘79 Xl500.  The feeling of riding it home, still remember, 😄.

Life has not dulled that.

Still get it.

...But if you could only own 1?

Funny thing is this is exactly what I am going thru.

i can only own one bike due to $ & space...

I opted Midsized Adventure bike with as close to 50/50 highway/off-road. With 500CC dual sports come close to 2nd.

used to own cruiser then naked touring as I like to go distance but they were missing the "able go off pavement" portion.

then went and got myself 1200GS. As great as the bike was, it was just too big for me both skill & size.

meanwhile, waiting for the T7 to show up lol.

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 1

Cruzin,

Here in New York we can’t legally,🙃, ride single track on state land. No need for a straight up dirt ride here.  Will you use the T7 for short hops or longer tours?   

The Hare Scrambles competitions are going strong here . They are driving the off road bike sales.

So there is a way to introduce the next generation to off road.

My mistake.

Edited by Guest
lied to you, again,

59 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Tenere 700....

With an extra set of 17 inch rims😎

Yes man I can definitely feel this one... Are you still thinking of getting wheels for the t7? 

43 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

Cruzin,

Here in New York we can’t legally,🙃, ride single track on state land. No need for a straight up dirt ride here.  Will you use the T7 for short hops or longer tours?   

The Hare Scrambles competitions are going strong here . They are driving the off road bike sales.

So there is a way to introduce the next generation to off road.

My mistake.

We have a ton for forest service roads and atv trails here, my T7 will fill that void nicely. I'll also do a bit of commuting on it. 

1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Yes man I can definitely feel this one... Are you still thinking of getting wheels for the t7? 

I'd really like to! I've got the bearing measurements/official part numbers for both wheels and working out if other Yamaha wheels will fit. A Fazer 600/1000 front wheel has the same bearings....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

We have a ton for forest service roads and atv trails here, my T7 will fill that void nicely. I'll also do a bit of commuting on it. 

Fire roads.  If you can run the f150, ram,or Silverado; Plated bikes too. The T7  will rock these roads!   

Tards are fun! A local track opened last summer. Pine View is a tight technical, track that lends itself to motards rather than sportbikes.

Now I’m looking for a 450 to mount 17”s on.

The 701 would of worked but it got traded in on A  GSA.

So many bikes.

so little time. 

1 hour ago, Rich TT said:

I'd really like to! I've got the bearing measurements/official part numbers for both wheels and working out if other Yamaha wheels will fit. A Fazer 600/1000 front wheel has the same bearings....

Keep us posted in the supermoto thread 🙂 this might be the way to go instead of new custom wheels 👌

• Like 1

Will wait before going to 17" rims
1. let someone experiment first to see how well it handles with 17"
    the inturdnet reviewers say it handles well with 90-21" front rims
    remember the tv show Chips,the stunt men were riding hard n fast with ~ 550 lbs KZ 900 with 3.25-19 fronts & 4.00-18 rears
2. install Continental-ContiTrailAttack 3,Metzeler-TOURANCE™ NEXT or Pirelli- Scorpion™ Trail II first

they  wont perform as well as 17" sports but good enough for me and dont have to spend ~ $2000 - $3000
p.s. dont mention anything about 17'' or any other size on the Yamaha T7  thread on advrider.com,they will impale with rusty poles

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The real 17” point is that the one T7 bike becomes truly truly dual purpose and therefore could be a sole bike for some folks with the 2 sets of wheels. Yes, it handles well with 21”and 18” wheels so just imagine how good it will handle on roads on wider lower supermoto 17” for twisty bumpy stuff. I did have 17” wheel in and for my DRZ 400E along with it’s original 21 18 wheels and it was like having 2 bikes. I enduro’d it, trail rode it swapped the wheels out to 17commuted and really ran away from 1150 GS, 1200 Bandits and CBR600 on roads with bends. T7 would be good on 17” rubber and original can have better or proper off-road rubber. 

• Like 1

drz400sm was the funnest bike I ever had,it's 320 lb
Tenere 700 is 450 lbs probably not as supermoto handable as the drz for me
as suggested in the 'other' forum:

another option is a  19" front (with safetly lip) with tubeless conversion,keep the rear 18'' with tubeless conversion(I think it already has a safety lip?)
found a pic comparing the contact patch between 21 & 19 fronts
Yamahaha could have offer the option of tubeless wheel using the rims from the Stupor Tenere 1200

21'' vs 19'' Tire.jpg

• Moderators

For me the T7 is a bit too heavy to be a unicorn one bike does all situation. I would sacrifice some highway comfort for something smaller and more lightweight, like the AJP PR7. I think the 500-600cc dual sport range is the most versatile, and you don't end up limiting yourself when you get into the hairy stuff. Now if only AJP had an established dealer network. A 17 L fuel tank, huge suspension travel and a true wet weight of 165kg. 

destaque_2.jpg

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

1 hour ago, tenerecanada said:

For me the T7 is a bit too heavy to be a unicorn one bike does all situation. I would sacrifice some highway comfort for something smaller and more lightweight, like the AJP PR7. I think the 500-600cc dual sport range is the most versatile, and you don't end up limiting yourself when you get into the hairy stuff. Now if only AJP had an established dealer network. A 17 L fuel tank, huge suspension travel and a true wet weight of 165kg. 

destaque_2.jpg

I'm a big fan of the AJP PR7. It's for dirt guys like me. 

• Like 1

I will ride my 1986 TLR250R most

Sherco 2.9 next

Long tours T7

There is no one Kayak, Canoe, Raft for rivers. No one bicycle for intended use, no 1 kite for kiting. Ski for skiing. Car 4 motoring...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, H20ham said:

I will ride my 1986 TLR250R most

Sherco 2.9 next

Long tours T7

There is no one Kayak, Canoe, Raft for rivers. No one bicycle for intended use, no 1 kite for kiting. Ski for skiing. Car 4 motoring...

sherco 2.9?  Whats a 2.9?? 

On 2/6/2020 at 11:13 AM, Cruizin said:

The Tenere 700 will be my only street registered bike, I will also keep my KTM 250 XCW for single track scary mountain trails. 

Nope, you gotta choose only one bike, Cruzin. Those are the rules.

For me, the T7 without hesitation. My only uncertainty is what color.

My wife wants to ride with me so she has decided to get a RE Himalayan someday. That will be 2 bikes in the garage, so no room for the TDM. It has got to go.

Edited by ahamay

1 hour ago, ahamay said:

Nope, you gotta choose only one bike, Cruzin. Those are the rules.

For me, the T7 without hesitation. My only uncertainty is what color.

My wife wants to ride with me so she has decided to get a RE Himalayan someday. That will be 2 bikes in the garage, so no room for the TDM. It has got to go.

Not taking a 400 lb bike on single track, no thanks. If I could only choose one it would be my KTM 250. Street riding is boring.