Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front sprocket removal

Alf Meister

Question

Bought a 16T sprocket and have tried to remove the oem 15T sprocket, used a small screw driver to push out the indents on the nut collar and hire an impact drill to loosen the nut, with the rear brake applied…….. but it won’t shift. Tried a extension on a ratchet first but no chance and then the impact driver after apply some WD40, but still not luck. Any suggestions on the next move please.

18 answers to this question

Impact driver works... maybe you air line is too small or your PSI is too low.

Worst case, drive to auto garage and ask them to loosen it for you, then snug it and ride home. 

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Yeppers, when i did sprocket switch, used Dewalt battery impact wrench, 1200 ft lbs capable. It broke loose with minimal effort. I dont think you need do a lot of bracing wheel becuz of the way impact works.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I also could not loosen the sprocket. Rode to my dealer and they put on the 16 teeth sprocket.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lewie said:

you need an impact wrench not an impact driver- 

Sorry, thats what I meant, it was a Milwaukee battery powered one, hired it for the day, looked well used tbh (very dirty) and didn’t seem to have that much torque. 

• Like 1

One thing with impact wrench is the socket needs to be good fit, any looseness and will reduce its effectivity. Done this before and minute had proper sized socket on with worked a treat.

I’m lucky my next door neighbour is a lorry mechanic and mobile so everything was in his van on the drive 

I rode over to a friend’s house. He loosened it and I hand tightened it back up and rode home. 

On 4/19/2023 at 6:20 PM, Alf Meister said:

Bought a 16T sprocket and have tried to remove the oem 15T sprocket, used a small screw driver to push out the indents on the nut collar and hire an impact drill to loosen the nut, with the rear brake applied…….. but it won’t shift. Tried a extension on a ratchet first but no chance and then the impact driver after apply some WD40, but still not luck. Any suggestions on the next move please.

Yes bud, make sure the impact is spinning the right way 😉😁

has it cracked off yet? 

• Haha 1

I had no issue getting the one off my 21 model when I swapped to a 16t. I used a long 1/2" drive pull handle and while sitting on the bike held the rear brake pedal It popped right loose. I have not done this yet on my 23 and I may not even bother with it. The change was so small the work to swap it seems more than the benefit. 

Just now, roy826 said:

I had no issue getting the one off my 21 model when I swapped to a 16t. I used a long 1/2" drive pull handle and while sitting on the bike held the rear brake pedal It popped right loose. I have not done this yet on my 23 and I may not even bother with it. The change was so small the work to swap it seems more than the benefit. 

I did exactly what you state and mine didn’t budge. Needed impact driver. 
so many videos about how to do it without a impact driver. Got so see a good friend at 10:30pm on a 28 degree night 🙂  ( I have heated gear)

2 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I did exactly what you state and mine didn’t budge. Needed impact driver. 
so many videos about how to do it without a impact driver. Got so see a good friend at 10:30pm on a 28 degree night 🙂  ( I have heated gear)

I failed to mention the part where I heated the nut with a heat gun prior to removing it. That loosens up any loctite they may have used at the factory.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roy826 said:

I failed to mention the part where I heated the nut with a heat gun prior to removing it. That loosens up any loctite they may have used at the factory.

Never heard to do that. Good move. 

Got mine off with a dewalt DCC 894, there wasn’t a sign of loctite haven been used, it was just f***ing tight. 

• Like 2

Got mine off by hand, 1st gear and rear brake plus a long extension.

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Got mine off by hand, 1st gear and rear brake plus a long extension.

I’ve been told to not have it in gear, as it could damage the gears teeth. 

I was lucky, I managed to get mine off with a breaker bar, just applying the back brake. 

• Like 2

Just changed chain and sprockets, if anything I think my front sprocket was under torque from new, it was super easy to undo.