Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Do you trust your dealership?

DaveT7

Phah! My local Yamaha dealership have just quoted me 3 to 4 hours labour @ $120/h (NZ) to swap the rear shock spring, explaining how the rear wheel and swing-arm have to be removed and replaced. Rubbish! I'm going to time myself and try to get it out in under 15min. If I can do it, I'll be requesting an audience with manager and mechanic! Seismic recorders around the world may need their paper and ink replenished!

Edited by DaveT7
shock - spring
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Id say start to finish if I had go at it would be 30-45mins from time I walk in to time I walk out.

An hour if I'm away with the fairies and cant find half my tools

Dealers are there to make a profit and same as most car dealers, prefer simple oil changes and basic maintenance. 

but to answer your question, No, I don't trust most dealers had too many neg experience than pos. There was one mechanic when I lived in the midlands who was an ex TT racer. he was a gentlemen, unreal mechanic and also was there for the biker not the profit. He since moved to Oz for a relaxed life in the sun. I used to get all my parts off him, he would charge you cost and a maybe a small mark up, making it as cheap as online prices.

I remember one BMW (no ex BMW as lost dealership) wanted €450 to service my F650gs in 2008. That was 1/10 cost I paid for the bike. I was due to go for a weeks trip and was tight for time, got parts from UK to Ireland and serviced it myself day before trip for under €100.

Mate mine bought a used bike off one the local shops, when he test rode it was 1/2 full fuel. Paid deposit and came back hour later with cash. They have syphoned all the fuel out and removed some of the extras that were on the bike, he told them fill bike up and put parts on or else give him money back. he lost all faith in the lad then.

Edited by john_aero

Generally, I think yes although I’ve not been back for a service or repair yet and even the friendly ones are really just a business and want your cash. I don’t think there’s ever real loyalty to a customer. But the bike they built/ assembled out of the crate for me hasn’t had the issues (🤞) that many have had around the world, so I’d say their old school mechanic is more professional/ skilled /diligent than a lot of other places out there.  But back to customer loyalty, I reckon any prices I’m quoted will come straight out of the book. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveT7 said:

Phah! My local Yamaha dealership have just quoted me 3 to 4 hours labour @ $120/h (NZ) to swap the rear shock, explaining how the rear wheel and swing-arm have to be removed and replaced. Rubbish! I'm going to time myself and try to get it out in under 15min. If I can do it, I'll be requesting an audience with manager and mechanic! Seismic recorders around the world may need their paper and ink replenished!

Swap the shock, not the spring?

Rubbish! It takes 45 minutes if you do it for the first time and are not focused on speed. 30 minutes if you've done it before.

Jack up the bike.

Remove the rear fender which protects the shock from mud.

Remove the lower shock bolt on the linkage and the dogbones.

Remove the hydraulic preload adjuster bolt.

Place some thick carton or an old carpet under the shock.

Remove the upper shock bolt, holding the shock with one hand so it doesn't drop to the ground.

Pull out the shock towards the rear license plate.

Clean all lugs where the bolts came off.

Grease all bolts generously (lithium grease).

Insert new shock and start with the upper bolt.

Reinstall all other bolts.

Torque down to specs (see service manual).

Lower the bike from the jack.

Set preload on the new shock.

Your stealership has either never done it before, or they lie to you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had a service scheduled, and coincidentally I received an aftermarket air filter in the mail the same day. I brought it in with me and asked if they could just toss it on, but was told it be would be half an hour of extra labor. I literally loled and said I'd do it. This same dealership wanted $65 US to mount a tire, as in you remove the wheel and bring it in.

I murdered my clutch a little bit later, and the closest dealership to me was willing to receive a clutch pack that I had overnighted from a different vendor and then stayed open a bit later to get it put in for me. I don't remember how much I paid exactly, but I laughed because it was far less than I expected it to be.

Like any other question, I think the answer to whether you trust a dealership is that it depends. Personally, I've noticed a correlation between how much a dealership segregates their techs from their service managers. If the techs come out to chat or you wind up out back, it's a good sign. It's the dealerships that block any interaction with techs that, in my experience, try to up charge everything, to the point of being offensive.

• Like 2

advgoats.com

Mom used to say: "You can always trust a snake, to be a snake".

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 minute ago, Hibobb said:

Mom used to say: "You can always trust a snake, to be a snake".

I find that an insult to the snake.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• Moderators
5 hours ago, random1781 said:

I had a service scheduled, and coincidentally I received an aftermarket air filter in the mail the same day. I brought it in with me and asked if they could just toss it on, but was told it be would be half an hour of extra labor. I literally loled and said I'd do it. This same dealership wanted $65 US to mount a tire, as in you remove the wheel and bring it in.

I murdered my clutch a little bit later, and the closest dealership to me was willing to receive a clutch pack that I had overnighted from a different vendor and then stayed open a bit later to get it put in for me. I don't remember how much I paid exactly, but I laughed because it was far less than I expected it to be.

Like any other question, I think the answer to whether you trust a dealership is that it depends. Personally, I've noticed a correlation between how much a dealership segregates their techs from their service managers. If the techs come out to chat or you wind up out back, it's a good sign. It's the dealerships that block any interaction with techs that, in my experience, try to up charge everything, to the point of being offensive.

Agreed, if you can't talk, even briefly with the tech that's going to work on your bike, to me it gives off a negative vibe in that " what are they afraid of" by letting the customer chat with whom is working on their pride and joy.

The high prices ( and sometimes incompetence) on tire changes is exactly why I bought a Rabaconda tire changer. I know you guys are on the road so that really isn't an option so it's a dealer or tire levers and the ground as options.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Absolutely not. 

Just one example- my T7 had the bad front tire distortion. I took it in just for warranty purposes. They kept telling me "nothing wrong with it" even though I had 2 other people test ride confirming they felt the same issue. Dealer (tech dept) insisted they felt nothing and sent me home. 

I went home, replaced the tire at my expense and put the wheel on a trueing stand- which they DID NOT DO.  They never even check it. Never went past a test ride.  Front end is smooth as butter now. 

Later on salesman called me- his buddy had the same bike same bad front tire too, and was asking how "I" fixed it.  Lol. Fuk*rs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, AZJW said:

Agreed, if you can't talk, even briefly with the tech that's going to work on your bike, to me it gives off a negative vibe in that " what are they afraid of" by letting the customer chat with whom is working on their pride and joy.

The high prices ( and sometimes incompetence) on tire changes is exactly why I bought a Rabaconda tire changer. I know you guys are on the road so that really isn't an option so it's a dealer or tire levers and the ground as options.

Absolutely is an option! $65 for the change didn't include the tube, since they won't reuse your existing one. So at $170 to mount both tires, I broke out the spoons.

We also recently discovered Bunk-a-Biker. Some folks generously offer up their garages, so we were able to do our own service in exchange for some beer. Which is a great thing to have on hand, actually. During the clutch incident, we got some beer to pass the time in the parking lot waiting for everything, and we made sure to get some to pass off to the guys who offered to stay late.

• Like 5

advgoats.com

11 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Swap the shock, not the spring?

Rubbish! It takes 45 minutes if you do it for the first time and are not focused on speed. 30 minutes if you've done it before.

Jack up the bike.

Remove the rear fender which protects the shock from mud.

Remove the lower shock bolt on the linkage and the dogbones.

Remove the hydraulic preload adjuster bolt.

Place some thick carton or an old carpet under the shock.

Remove the upper shock bolt, holding the shock with one hand so it doesn't drop to the ground.

Pull out the shock towards the rear license plate.

Clean all lugs where the bolts came off.

Grease all bolts generously (lithium grease).

Insert new shock and start with the upper bolt.

Reinstall all other bolts.

Torque down to specs (see service manual).

Lower the bike from the jack.

Set preload on the new shock.

Your stealership has either never done it before, or they lie to you.

Yes, spring not shock 

Stealership ~ LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I find that an insult to the snake.

Try not to identify as a snake...

I must give a big thumbs up to Alford Brothers in Folkestone Kent UK, after buying my bike new from them in 2020 with an absolutely killer deal, they have serviced and fitted a couple of parts to my T7 and they are rapid, knowledgable and trustworthy, highly recommended. 

Poper dealership, with great team, they all know precisely what they are about, everything Yamaha..

• Like 3

Seconded - Mark sold me my 1st bike when I was 17 - TS 250X

ive been buying from him for nearly 40 years- did me a killer deal on my T7 just over a year ago

id taken their demo out and returned to strike a deal on a used one they were selling - typically it had sold that morning 

Later that day he rang with with an offer on a new one which was almost as cheap as the second hand one 

Back in the ‘80 they were a Suzuki dealership 

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

Yes. I trust my dealer... To give me a good deal on my bikes (I've bought a few...🙂). Do I trust them to work on them, well that depends. I do my own work on all my bikes, so I wouldn't know. The only time I took a bike back to my dealer was for a warranty recall, which they wouldn't let me do, as it was a recall. Didn't cost me anything, but I'm sure it cost the dealer.

In saying all that, I was an apprentice mechanic once. I did so many tire changes, I would do them in my dreams. The company got journeyman rates for the job. Likewise VF750 cam/rocker swaps, or GL 1200 alternator swaps, or...My point is, dealers make ALL their money on parts and service by finding the cheapest way to do it. And BTW, NOBODY makes money on warranty work, especially the dealer. New bikes sales don't make any money either, unless you sell 10's per week, or are a BIG dealer. In Alberta, the big dealerships don't pay for their bikes until they are SOLD! Yep, at the BIG Yamaha/Honda/etc dealers, the local company puts up a big dealership and then tells the manufacturer that they can 'store' their bikes here until we sell them. The small shops have to purchase their bikes, usually on factory financing, until they are sold. Try making money with that model, when you can't get any T7's or anything else somebody might want to buy! So, I try to buy as many parts as I can from my local dealer, instead of on-line, so when I need him, he will be there. They still won't get my service work, as that is a hobby, and I like doing it.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I trust my dealer. Been my dealer since 1988 because they treat me well. I will admit not everyone has had the same experience.

A friend who's a BMW guy bought a 900 Yamaha whatever from another dealer then wanted my dealer to do needless service,

I asked my dealer why he was so ruff on my bud. He said when he buys a bike from him he will get better service. 

You reep what you soe.

It's important to understand that modern dealers have a buffer between you and the mechanic, a toad in a white shirt whose job is to organize the workshop and make a profit for the boss.  I always insist on talking to the mechanic myself and the best way to do this is ask in advance and typically come early, being there when the workshop opens.  I have to get some tires fitted tomorrow on my bmw sport bike but this is routine, I didn't ask to speak to the mechanic first and there are 3 qualified ones there, no pimply faced kids.  If it's a service though I always book it in with the head mechanic, no exceptions, and I'll chat with him before hand usually about some little concern I have regarding another aspect of the bike.

As for the T7, there is easy access to the dealers workshop out back and I go EARLY and talk to the head mechanic.  I say "you'll be doing the work wont you mate?  I trust you"  I haven't had a problem or been fleeced with this technique.

• Like 2

No.

They tried to claim it would take 8 hours to swap a muffler. "Well you have to take the entire exhaust system off and put it on again with special tools."

Special needs more like it mate,seems like you Mechanic's have them.

• Haha 3

I had an awesome dealer that I trusted. He and his family were riders first and foremost.  First met him as a customer, then became a regular. 

Honesty Acid test:   He had known me for a couple of years when I walked in one day with an urge to buy a particular model motorcycle he carried.  He told me: "Its a POS for what you like to do and you ain't going to like it long term, but if you insist  I'm in the business of selling bikes and have one I'll sell you. " Yeah, he was an bit of an opinionated asshole.  I bought it anyway. Problem was he was right. That bike never really suited me... LOL.

Sadly he eventually closed the door to his dealership. Happily we are still friends. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 2

For interest sakes, I timed myself taking the rear shock out, and did it in under 7min. 

• Like 2

While that isn't a very black-and-white question, so far I have had no reason to doubt them.

I would trust them for the run-of-the-mill mechanical works like maintenance under the warranty, but after that wouldn't go back to them.

However, since things like suspension works require special tools depending on what you are doing, a suspension shop would be my best option.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

My local dealer A2 Motorcycles Gravesend UK changed my brake fluid last week £37.50 30 minutes labour, and the mechanic called me out the back to sit on the bike while he adjusted the chain.

• Like 3

if your dealer is nice to you and is smiling  it means he is cleaning you out. If he shakes his head in frustration and despair every time you walk through the door then you know you're getting a good deal

No, i trust no one to wrench on my bikes og car.

had the first oil change done at the dealers, that way i had warranty til 10.000km and from there on i do it all myself

My dealer seems to be honest and has fair prices.  @TenereTragic700 told me about them and I have passed on the word to friends who have also purchased from them. 

They are putting on a charity Camp-n-Ride this weekend that my daughter and I are attending.  This link looks bad but works when I click on it: 

It's nice to associate with good people who share your interests, and I have found that at Romney Cycles! 

Edited by Hollybrook