Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Temperature for fan to kick on

SpartanNoFear-1

Just bought a Tenere 700 and noticed the temperature was climbing too high for my liking at red lights. Took it to the shop and asked them, "what temperature should the fan come on?" They had no clue so they hooked it up to their computer to kick the fan on to make sure it's working and it came right on. They left it idle and the fan didn't come on until 223 degrees! I think that's outrageous and no need for this. 

Any thoughts?

106c = 223f
You can have the ECU reflashed for $$$
or just believe that the engineers that work for Yamaha know motorcycles better than we do.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Oh I know they know more than I do, but wow it just seems too hot. I guess I'll just leave it alone and try not to get it heated up like that. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TangoSixZero said:

My 2022, Canadian spec. T7 start the fan at approx 100-105c.

MY2021 European model (Euro 5), same temps. This is totally normal. I bet it's the same on the MT07/FZ07, meaning there's a lot if proof this engine can withstand those temps.

Edited by Tenerider

There are more people panicking about temperature but it's coolant which heating up way faster than the engine itself.
Also remember that when the temperature get's to the 78C when you leave in de morning that the engine is by far not at working temperature so keep it easy on the engine load for another 10 - 20km.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

There are more people panicking about temperature but it's coolant which heating up way faster than the engine itself.
Also remember that when the temperature get's to the 78C when you leave in de morning that the engine is by far not at working temperature so keep it easy on the engine load for another 10 - 20km.

Ray, that makes no sense at all. The engine is always hotter than the coolant. The engine transfers heat to the coolant not the other way round.

As has been mentioned above, if Yamaha have designed it to come on at this temperature then they know best.

• Like 1

Agree with all these guys. It’s not an issue. Engines (old school) usually like coolant around 90deg, but modern bikes tend to run hotter, but you’ll only usually see it in busy traffic or waiting. It’ll drop as soon as your moving again with air in the rad. Doesn’t take long in wales anyway 😂🌦️. Maybe Arizona and Florida guys see higher temps generally. No sympathy here though. Lucky bastards only own t shirts. 😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alan M said:

Ray, that makes no sense at all. The engine is always hotter than the coolant. The engine transfers heat to the coolant not the other way round.

As has been mentioned above, if Yamaha have designed it to come on at this temperature then they know best.

Because of that hotter engine in some circumstances that heat will raise the coolant temperature pretty fast but the engine will not heat up with that same speed.
I think most bike will let the fan kick in between 105 and 110c.
The Honda VTEC i owned normally would start the fan at 105c but in hot summer city traffic the coolant heated up so fast it was already 108 before the fan switch reacted.
I think that the 20 - 30C increase in coolant temperature is just 2 - 5C increase in oil/engine temperature but i never installed an oil temperature gauge. I think that would be a more useful option than the coolant one so i don't know why they all stick to the coolant gauge.

We probably don’t need the coolant gauge as much as we used to, especially if waterless is used,  but it’s the coolant which will go first, the oil will be fine although it would be nice to know the oil temp too. The coolant temp too hot on an old car/bike will let go somewhere and rapidly seize the motor. Even very hot oil will get you home. 

They can leave the warning light for when the coolant get's too hot but you would be surprised how many people think that when the coolant is on temperature it's time to give it all but the engine is not by far ready for that.

13 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Because of that hotter engine in some circumstances that heat will raise the coolant temperature pretty fast but the engine will not heat up with that same speed.
I think most bike will let the fan kick in between 105 and 110c.
The Honda VTEC i owned normally would start the fan at 105c but in hot summer city traffic the coolant heated up so fast it was already 108 before the fan switch reacted.
I think that the 20 - 30C increase in coolant temperature is just 2 - 5C increase in oil/engine temperature but i never installed an oil temperature gauge. I think that would be a more useful option than the coolant one so i don't know why they all stick to the coolant gauge.

The coolant system will be designed around the engine ‘hot-spots’, head, combustion chambers, etc. these areas will be substantially hotter than the coolant and surrounding engine.

I always like having a coolant temp gauge as opposed to an oil temp or warning light. You get familiar with where the needle sits and can usually spot a sudden drop or increase as an early indication of a fault.

• Like 1

My 2000 Honda RC51 fan doesn't come on until 240 degrees and it has 76,000 miles with no issues.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mcbrien said:

My 2000 Honda RC51 fan doesn't come on until 240 degrees and it has 76,000 miles with no issues.

Love the SP 👍👍  This was the peak for sports bikes when Honda quality ruled the world. And they looked fantastic. ….

😁and back to the subject……

Edited by Dougie

• 7 months later...
On 4/23/2023 at 6:13 AM, Tenerider said:

MY2021 European model (Euro 5), same temps. This is totally normal. I bet it's the same on the MT07/FZ07, meaning there's a lot if proof this engine can withstand those temps.

It's for emissions.the hotter the better. But I suspect the engine would prefer a lower fan temp