Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tibet bound 2023

Neil

Hello all.

Later this year (September) I will be taking the mighty T7 across China (from Kyrgyzstan to Laos via Tibet) as part of a longer trip ending in Bangkok (or maybe Kuala Lumpur?). Well in to the mods now: bigger fuel tank, tubeless wheels, new (lighter!) exhaust, luggage racks etc. etc.

Any adventurous souls out there who would like to join? The China section requires the use of a mandatory "guide" which means that gathering a group to share the costs is the way to go. Already have a few signed up. Anyone here fancy it? It'd be good to have a few T7s along for the epic ride across the roof of the world.......

Cheers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sounds epic but unfortunately I’d be divorced if I told the wife I’m going on a bike trip to Bangkok 😁.

Hope it all works out and mind and post pictures of your travels 👍

• Like 2

• Moderators

Moved from General Discussion for better visibility. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

9 minutes ago, Alan M said:

Sounds epic but unfortunately I’d be divorced if I told the wife I’m going on a bike trip to Bangkok 😁.

Hope it all works out and mind and post pictures of your travels 👍

Just say "Kuala Lumpur"; that's what I told my wife........😇

• Haha 1

Join to go to china? Well, 20 years ago i would say yes. In 2002 we were on the karakoram highway in pakistan, but like you mention entering china needs permits, guides, a lot of money,and you are not free to travel where you want, so we skipped the idea. Now i'm anti china and have no need to go there... But kyrgyzistan you would like. Great country to travel. We were there in 2013 and really like the country and the people. Go for it.👍

Edited by BikeBrother
Edit year 2013
  • Like 1

Dude! This is an epic adventure that I would join in a heartbeat, except for family and work. I've been saying for awhile now that I'm not going to make excuses anymore for not riding somewhere, but this timing doesn't work. I've travelled in China a lot, and would love to do the north on a bike. Been to the NE of China close to North Korea, and the landscape and people are wonderful. Tibet and Kyrgyzstan have always intrigued me as well.  I'm sure you will have a great ride. Keep us updated on your progress and the ride, please!

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• 1 month later...

Hello all. This trip is still going ahead (entering China on August 31st). Just to say a big "thank you" to all on this forum as it has been an invaluable resource in the preparation of my bike for the trip. I will post about the bike and it's mods before I set off (they are still ongoing!)

Cheers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is my bike as prepped for my upcoming Kyrgyzstan to Thailand trip via China (although, unfortunately, Western Tibet is currently closed to overland travel, so a change of route was in order).

Time for a game of "spot the mods"!

PXL_20230729_110408242.jpg

• Like 2

Nice! just curious what the paperwork process is like for bringing a bike through China nowadays? 

3 hours ago, DT700 said:

Nice! just curious what the paperwork process is like for bringing a bike through China nowadays? 

No change post Covid unfortunately. Still need to employ an agency and "guide" to sort out the paperwork. 

1 hour ago, ninot7 said:

sounds like an  epic trip with the best suited bike.

What tubeless system did you go with if i may ask?

Bart factory. Very happy with them.

Looks like you have fitted everything that makes sense for travelling to more remote areas of the world. 

Did you make any mods to the suspension ?

13 minutes ago, qInvention said:

Looks like you have fitted everything that makes sense for travelling to more remote areas of the world. 

Did you make any mods to the suspension ?

Suspension is stock. I don't find it bad as is. Also, I ran out of time (and money!) to upgrade it.

Yes, money. That's a good point!

On the other hand, you may not be happy with it when riding thousands of kms on roads that may not all meet western european A road standards 😆

I've just pulled the trigger on a complete TFX package and they told me they are quite flexible at thd moment... fyi