Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lake Folsom-Lake Tahoe-Eldorado-Stanislaus

thepointchris

Hey Yam-heads,

I'm riding out thia coming Thursday, making my way NE from Ventura, to end up at lake Folsom on Saturday and Sunday night ( 29th and 30th ). I have day's riding booked with Sierra Nevada Adventures on the Sunday, and I plan to head up to Lake Tahoe on Monday, first time for this immigrant. Hoping to end up in S Lake Tahoe on the Monday night, no Reservations yet, carrying full camping gear.

I have to be back in Ventura a week later on Sunday PM, and I'm thinking of spending most the time West and S-West from Tahoe, maybe even using Tahoe as basecamp, and riding from there.

* Does anyone know/use ADVRider's Tent Space? I read ADVRider daily, but I don't contribute, and it feels a little mercenary signing up just before the trip.

* Anyone want to recommend THE spot for South Lake Tahoe, first night? I plan to go around the lake on Monday, from Folsom, and end up South for Monday night.

* If I was going to use the West Lake as a base, any recommendations?I know it's riddled with sites. I'll be traveling with a Fishing Rod, so a few days at the Lake can work. Or all of the time, and then do outrides from there.

* El Dorado being old-gold country, the same questions apply, for camping , fishing, etc. 

* I have the Butlers Map for the area, soI'll be using that.

Any input/suggestions/warnings welcome, please, and thank you!

• Moderators

Lake Don Pedro has nice campgrounds and decent fishing from what I've heard.  You could hit that on the way back down south and ride 49 down to 41 to stay off 99. That'll be warmer than Tahoe which is dropping nearly  30° by Tuesday with lows in the upper 20's. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

22 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Lake Don Pedro has nice campgrounds and decent fishing from what I've heard.  You could hit that on the way back down south and ride 49 down to 41 to stay off 99. That'll be warmer than Tahoe which is dropping nearly  30° by Tuesday with lows in the upper 20's. 

That's a serious temp-shift, thanks for the Intel. I'll check out Don Pedro.

• Like 1

Update- the trip will be heading South after Monday in Tahoe 😅

• Moderators
9 hours ago, thepointchris said:

Update- the trip will be heading South after Monday in Tahoe 😅

Good plan.  Here's a T7 friendly route that'll keep you off the RV infested roads and runs right by a couple of choices for camping. Keep an eye out for bovines and fresh cow pies on Marshes Flat Rd, open range through that section. I would've suggested Old Wards Ferry Rd, but it's a single lane shelf road and all the rain has washed out many sections, so it's closed.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.9738545,-120.3684224/37.9495081,-120.3392561/37.9281656,-120.3129815/37.901944,-120.3137637/37.8691483,-120.3823515/37.793501,-120.2893388/37.6793824,-120.3550281/37.6988154,-120.3759249/@37.823924,-120.3385917,10z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The Tent-Space feature @ ADVRider seems very out-dated, the South Lake Tahoe inmate there was last seen in 2018...so:

Anyone with a super-great-must-do suggestion for a night in Tahoe? I plan a ride around the Lake  and the do one night in the area before clearing out ahead of the cold. 

Plenty of camp sites, I know.