Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bent headlight and speedo mount?

Goody Boy

Question

The other day I dropped my bike and the headlight and windshield rested upon a big rock on the left side. Initially I was happy that nothing was broken. But after riding a few more minutes, I noticed that the speedo and windshield wasn't aligned properly. It was facing to the right and seemed a little right of center.

I have since kinda pushed and pulled everything back into place but it's still not back to center. Has anyone encountered this before? What parts should I be taking off and trying to straighten. I probably could look myself but knowing what to look for before dismantling the front, could help me do the job quicker.

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Goody Boy said:

The other day I dropped my bike and the headlight and windshield rested upon a big rock on the left side. Initially I was happy that nothing was broken. But after riding a few more minutes, I noticed that the speedo and windshield wasn't aligned properly. It was facing to the right and seemed a little right of center.

I have since kinda pushed and pulled everything back into place but it's still not back to center. Has anyone encountered this before? What parts should I be taking off and trying to straighten. I probably could look myself but knowing what to look for before dismantling the front, could help me do the job quicker.

I confirm you, if the crash involved the windshield or the plastic supports (RH and LH),

the result is a bent cockpit.

In my case I needed to change one plastic support 'cause it broke, so I can't tell you if there is a procedure to recalibrate it if you have them still ok.

• Like 1

There is a metal bracket attached to the headstock that the headlight unit mounts on to......it can be bend out of shape. DAMHIK

20230504_230209.jpg

20230504_230216.jpg

Edited by electric_monk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, electric_monk said:

There is a metal bracket attached to the headstock that the headlight unit mounts on to......it can be bend out of shape. DAMHIK

20230504_230209.jpg

20230504_230216.jpg

Had this bracket bend also, to the point that the forks were impacting some of the plastics. Some crash bars use this is a mounting point, so a lot of force can be transferred here. We were able to straighten it out on a vice. It's visible if you look straight down in front of your handlebars, so you can probably see a bend without having to remove anything.

Odds are your plastics aren't broken, but underneath the side panels are two rigid plastic (fiberglass?) pieces that provide support to the headlight/display/GPS mount, and they're connected in the middle by the rigid plastic piece behind your headlight that you can see while sitting on the bike.

• Like 1

advgoats.com