Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Where do you keep your tools in Reckless 80?

Oxxa

I just received my rolling mavericks trail stand, and its quite long and am confused where will I be putting it? 

Do I get those large tool rolls and put everything in it and stuff it inside a 4L aux pox? But then what am I supposed to do with all that space under both seats?

Under both seats, I can fit:

- Motion Pro bead pro levers

- motion pro trail buddy

- motion pro rim shield

- Yamaha OEM wheel bearings

- Usual bike tools

- Rally raid spanner

- Steel cable repair kit for clutch/throttle

- Cable cutters

Left side of Mosko moto 4L Aux Pox:

- 21 inch inner tube and sometimes the 18 inch too

- Motopressor pump

- small gas cannister for boiling water and whatnot

Right side of MoskoMoto 4L Aux Pox:

- Chain lube (Motul C3 offroad chain lube) this is quite a tall can but there’s no tiny versions to purchase here where I live…

- PVC gloves for field repairs

Great for fixing flats, chain maintenance, and emergency repairs · Quickly jack one wheel off the ground · Supports 240+ kg motorcycles · Ultralight 140 grams

@Oxxa, first, it’s dangerous to ask where to shove your tool😉😁.
I don’t keep a tool container/tube, but have several small roll bags. I have a rally seat though and a lot of stuff fits under that. Otherwise I just spread it around to even the load. Several of these guys have had good ideas about inner tube storage etc in hidden places. 
I’d just have a play until you’re happy and nothings rattling around or in a dangerous position. 

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

@Oxxa, first, it’s dangerous to ask where to shove your tool😉😁.
I don’t keep a tool container/tube, but have several small roll bags. I have a rally seat though and a lot of stuff fits under that. Otherwise I just spread it around to even the load. Several of these guys have had good ideas about inner tube storage etc in hidden places. 
I’d just have a play until you’re happy and nothings rattling around or in a dangerous position. 

I have no idea where to put my new trail stand.

i can’t find any threads on people hiding their inner tubes creatively? Do you mind showing me what keywords to search?

2 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Here you go bud. Not tried it myself. 

Inside the swing arm? I dont like it. Im not that desperate lol

• Like 1

It all depends on where you ride. I have two sets, one that you mention, with Reckless80. I take a fatty tool roll. I have something similar to endurostar's trailstand, I think it's not much off, dimension wise, from yours. I keep everything (all my tools) in a fatty in one of the 4 litre pockets. The other set is for shorter rides (3-4 days). I take a reckless 10, with a pinner tool roll in one pocket, other stuff is just spread around in the other pocekt and the top roll. I only ever take a 21 inch tube, it's good front and back. I never take any rim savers, that's good for a garage. I wrestled my rims with aluminum levers quite a lot, and I have to say they are not that scratched. I keep the tube and pump (same as yours) under the seat in zip bags. Keep it simple. Don't overthink the tools you have to carry, 'cos the truth is, when something really bad happens you just need to seek help and/or assistance. 

I keep tools, parts, innertube, trailstand etc all in the rear pouches of my reckless 80 when I'm using it.  That leaves all three main bags for other stuff. Even for day rides I run Worlfman Daytrippers or something similar and everything I need is in the bags. I basically NEVER carry anything under the seat on any of my bikes. 

What can I say? I hate having to remove bags to pop the seat off when I'm on the trail and on dirt bikes you have to have your tools to access under the seat anyway (besides, there is no room) so I just use the same process on every bike. Bags or backpack. Nothing or dang near nothing stowed inside the bikes.

Edited by Windblown

10 hours ago, Windblown said:

I keep tools, parts, innertube, trailstand etc all in the rear pouches of my reckless 80 when I'm using it.  That leaves all three main bags for other stuff. Even for day rides I run Worlfman Daytrippers or something similar and everything I need is in the bags. I basically NEVER carry anything under the seat on any of my bikes. 

What can I say? I hate having to remove bags to pop the seat off when I'm on the trail and on dirt bikes you have to have your tools to access under the seat anyway (besides, there is no room) so I just use the same process on every bike. Bags or backpack. Nothing or dang near nothing stowed inside the bikes.

I think i might go your route. Im sick and tired of removing the luggage to access a tool and many of the tools are packed separately so they can fit under the seat, re-packing them after I have to use them is a PITA because I have to re-organize them in that way so they can fit under the seat.

What tool roll do you recommend? I heard the mosko moto tool roll is way too big?

50 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

I think i might go your route. Im sick and tired of removing the luggage to access a tool and many of the tools are packed separately so they can fit under the seat, re-packing them after I have to use them is a PITA because I have to re-organize them in that way so they can fit under the seat.

What tool roll do you recommend? I heard the mosko moto tool roll is way too big?

I use the original version of the Wolfman tool roll.  Slips into the back pouch of the R80 just fine. Haven't really looked at the new stuff out on the market, the old stuff is still hanging tough. 

The Kriega tool roll is nice but pricey. 

Edited by Hollybrook

Funny thing is, if you convert to tubeless, the need for 95% of the tools and their storage goes away.  I bought all the tools for the tubed tires but now I wish I'd just gone tubeless.  In forty years (road riding) I've only ever had a half dozen flats and they were nothing a can or sealant or a plug hadn't fixed.

Edited by winddown

35 minutes ago, winddown said:

Funny thing is, if you convert to tubeless, the need for 95% of the tools and their storage goes away.  I bought all the tools for the tubed tires but now I wish I'd just gone tubeless.  In forty years (road riding) I've only ever had a half dozen flats and they were nothing a can or sealant or a plug hadn't fixed.

For road riding on pavement or well maintained dirt/gravel I'd go tubeless for sure as it's way more convenient.  Tubes (and spokes for that matter) suck for just running street pressures on smooth surfaces where the odds of tearing a sidewall or cratering a rim are basically non existent. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1