Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rally Raid fork cap problem!

Burner

Hey guys, I’m stumped here… went to install the Rally Raid adjustable fork caps last night and for the life of me I cannot get the cap to completely screw down onto the outer tube.

It just stops a few mm from contacting the O-ring at the top.

I’ve tried and tried with both caps, same issue.

What am I doing wrong here?

The OEM caps go back on no problem.IMG_2887.jpeg.59f3d45c1bafc2748e46d5820c5725c0.jpeg

Are these the fork caps from RR open or closed cartridges?

Or preload caps for OEM cartridges?

In any case, preload should be set to zero before installing them. Turn the hex nut ccw all the way.

These are the caps for OEM cartridges.

Preload is all the way down to zero… 

Ok, just had a look at RR's website- they seem to be more or less identical to my Tractive caps - I can only say these went in without any problems, at least when the forks are not under load. Since you have removed the fork legs, this should be the case.

Is anything on the inside blocking the caps from being screwed in completely? I can't imagine the damping rod to restrict anything but that's the only thing which I can think of...