Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ktech Cartridge Kit + Penske 8983= AWESOME

Redneckj

I have had the Penske 8983 on the bike for a couple of months now.   Much better that stock but I never knew how bad the front suspension was until I got KTech cartridge kit installed.   I purchased the cartridge kit and had it installed with SK seals and wipers at Cascade Tire and Racing in Bend OR.  Sage was great to deal with and installed the parts when I was in town on a work trip.  

I finally got to ride the bike today.  What a transformation!   The crazy pot hole filed road that normally jars my spine was completely smoothed out.   The bike was so much more controlled going through washboard corners as well.    Ktech recommends 12 out on rebound and compression clickers. I settled on 14 out compression and 12 out rebound.   Road manners were also improved.  Butter smooth on the back country roads as well. 

Sage recommended the 6.9 for my rider weight and that’s the same rider weight the Penske is sprung for as well.  

So far I’m very impressed with this setup.  We have all spend money on bikes and then wondered , “Was that worth it?”   The answer is YES.  

IMG_9717.jpeg

IMG_9719.jpeg

IMG_9720.jpeg

IMG_9721.jpeg

• Like 4

Can you just confirm that the Ktech cartridge kit, runs the rebound adjusters on the top of BOTH  legs and the compression adjusters on the bottom of BOTH fork legs, the same as the stock KYB cartridges that are oem?

As opposed to Rebound adjuster in one fork leg and Compression adjuster in the other fork leg - like the RR and/or Ohlins cartridges?

Preload adjuster on cap at top of forks?

Also 2 springs, one in each leg and are these progressive springs or normal fork springs?

Edited by JB700

8 hours ago, JB700 said:

Can you just confirm that the Ktech cartridge kit, runs the rebound adjusters on the top of BOTH  legs and the compression adjusters on the bottom of BOTH fork legs, the same as the stock KYB cartridges that are oem?

As opposed to Rebound adjuster in one fork leg and Compression adjuster in the other fork leg - like the RR and/or Ohlins cartridges?

Preload adjuster on cap at top of forks?

Also 2 springs, one in each leg and are these progressive springs or normal fork springs?

There are adjusters on both top and bottom, just as factory.   Unlike the factory clickers, there is a noticeable difference just  going one click in or out,  on both adjusters.  

There is a preload adjuster on each fork cap.

2 springs, one in each leg.  the springs are linear,  not progressive.  So, I guess I'd consider them normal springs.  

We all know there are lots of choices in cartridge kits for the T7's.  I chose K-Tech for a couple of reasons.    Proven company, been around for a very long company.  No matter how much I read about people using K-Tech,  NO one had anything bad to say about the company or the components they sell.    K-Tech built this cartridge kit as an off-road kit and I will use it as a, offroad ADV bike.  I'm not going to beat the crap out of the T7 like I do my YZ250FX.  However,  last summer we did some knarly sections of BDR routes and did some riding to get up to some fire tower lookouts.  Those sections kicked the factory suspensions ass.   Yamaha cut corners to hit a price point,  plain and simple.  If they wanted to, they could have spent the R & D time and installed YZ KYB forks and a YZ KYB shock in the T7, but they didn't.  The neglect on Yamaha's end has allowed aftermarket suspension companies to prosper.  My 2 cents.  

• Like 2

@Redneckj Well said on the fact Yamaha cut corners in the suspension department to meet the price point. My K-Tech suspension was just done by Ryan at Frontline Suspension out of Vegas, should be here in the next few days. Stoked to get it installed and feel the difference!

1 hour ago, Ghost775 said:

@Redneckj Well said on the fact Yamaha cut corners in the suspension department to meet the price point. My K-Tech suspension was just done by Ryan at Frontline Suspension out of Vegas, should be here in the next few days. Stoked to get it installed and feel the difference!

What setup did you go with? 

6 hours ago, Redneckj said:

There are adjusters on both top and bottom, just as factory.   Unlike the factory clickers, there is a noticeable difference just  going one click in or out,  on both adjusters.  

There is a preload adjuster on each fork cap.

2 springs, one in each leg.  the springs are linear,  not progressive.  So, I guess I'd consider them normal springs.  

We all know there are lots of choices in cartridge kits for the T7's.  I chose K-Tech for a couple of reasons.    Proven company, been around for a very long company.  No matter how much I read about people using K-Tech,  NO one had anything bad to say about the company or the components they sell.    K-Tech built this cartridge kit as an off-road kit and I will use it as a, offroad ADV bike.  I'm not going to beat the crap out of the T7 like I do my YZ250FX.  However,  last summer we did some knarly sections of BDR routes and did some riding to get up to some fire tower lookouts.  Those sections kicked the factory suspensions ass.   Yamaha cut corners to hit a price point,  plain and simple.  If they wanted to, they could have spent the R & D time and installed YZ KYB forks and a YZ KYB shock in the T7, but they didn't.  The neglect on Yamaha's end has allowed aftermarket suspension companies to prosper.  My 2 cents.  

Many thanks

I have been debating suspension for ages and think I will probably go KTECH, now

I am 50/50 road and trail and want something that performs well on the road and my trail is only mild, gravel roads and twin track, jeep type trails and nothing extreme (as I have a smaller enduro for that)

Edited by JB700

On 5/9/2023 at 5:18 PM, Ghost775 said:

@Redneckj Went with the ORDS Cartridges with custom valving

So you did a custom revalve on the Ktech cartridges? What was the problem with the valving as set up from the box? 

5 hours ago, powder said:

So you did a custom revalve on the Ktech cartridges? What was the problem with the valving as set up from the box? 

There’s no problem with the valving out of the box as far as I know. Ryan with Frontline Suspension has worked on my other dirt bikes and knows my riding/racing style. He also took into account my weight and amount of extra weight I’ll add onto the bike (luggage). Just a bit more fine tuning of the valving. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ghost775 said:

There’s no problem with the valving out of the box as far as I know. Ryan with Frontline Suspension has worked on my other dirt bikes and knows my riding/racing style. He also took into account my weight and amount of extra weight I’ll add onto the bike (luggage). Just a bit more fine tuning of the valving. 

What rear shock are you going with?

54 minutes ago, Redneckj said:

What rear shock are you going with?

Stock rear shock with K-Tech spring. Custom valving in the shock as well

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update on fine tuning the front suspension.   When my cartridge kit was installed, Sage put a spring loaded plastic ring around the chrome left fork leg.  He also marked the fork leg so I know how much suspension I’m using.   2 rides ago with @sethwaterfall was a pretty fast paced ride through huge potholes, ruts and some small jumps.  The front suspension was really pushed hard and did bottom out a couple of times.  Sage suggested adding 10cc of oil per fork leg and try it again.  

I went for another ride today, not the same road or as fast paced but, I can confirm that the extra oil did not make the bike ride any different.  It did not bottom out but I did use 90% of the available travel.  

My experience working with Sage at Cascade Tire and Suspension has been great.   So far so good with the Ktech cartridge kit.  I’m super pleased.   

Now you wondering, how can he be happy if the forks bottomed out?  Did you know that pro supercross riders suspension bottoms out from time to time?  True statement.  They want to use 100% of the bikes Suspension travel.  I want the same thing.  Now it comes down to fine tuning.  

IMG_9888.jpeg

Edited by Redneckj
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Does anybody have a bit of a clunk noise with the Ktech forks as they reach "top out", or fully extended?  Like say, in your shop taking all the weight off the front via the center stand?