Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Will running cables under the tank melt them?

Oxxa

Question

19 answers to this question

Yes (if the ambient temperature is sufficient).

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Yes (if the ambient temperature is sufficient).

During a 95 degree summer day, riding all day offroad with engine temps at 212 degrees.

I installed my quadlock wireless charger with the cable running under the tank and am interested if the cable will melt.

there are OEM zip ties in the same places and they haven’t melted. So why would the cable melt?

Edited by Oxxa

1 minute ago, Oxxa said:

During a 95 degree summer day, riding all day offroad with engine temps at 212 degrees.

I installed my quadlock wireless charger under the tank and am interested if the cable will melt.

there are OEM zip ties in the same places and they haven’t melted. So why would the cable melt?

Why bother to ask then?

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

If you’ve already installed the cable then it sounds like you’re in the perfect position to find out for yourself. Go for a ride and report back with the answer!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Samm said:

If you’ve already installed the cable then it sounds like you’re in the perfect position to find out for yourself. Go for a ride and report back with the answer!

Would be a shitty way to find out. Dont want to damage it

Would be the only way to find out for sure and give some first hand knowledge back to the community.

• Like 1

Isn’t there already a giant bundle of wires running under the tank? Zip tie yours to the main wiring harness and then you’ll know that your route is safe?

Did you notice any wiring for the fuel gauge and a rubber hose full of flammable gasoline under there while you were working?  I think it will be fine unless you made a trip by the exhaust header. 

The biggest issue I see with home wiring on motorcycles is poor terminations and thinking it's ok to just let the wire flop around.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

Would be a shitty way to find out. Dont want to damage it

So you'd rather have us test it for you? I'd call that shitty.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Did you notice any wiring for the fuel gauge and a rubber hose full of flammable gasoline under there while you were working?  I think it will be fine unless you made a trip by the exhaust header. 

The biggest issue I see with home wiring on motorcycles is poor terminations and thinking it's ok to just let the wire flop around.  

I installed the cable beautifully, no flapping and strapped to the main wiring up until above the ECU, and then it goes above and its zipped to the zip of the tank rubber ontop of steel mainframe

all the tubes under the tank have an outer layer of extra protection. 

Edited by Oxxa

If you ran it by the ECU you certainly took the long way to get to the dash.   

If I said it's going to melt would you move it?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Windblown said:

If you ran it by the ECU you certainly took the long way to get to the dash.   

If I said it's going to melt would you move it?

Whats the best route?

I ran it to the handlbar, not the dash

Edited by Oxxa

Just now, Alan M said:

Think my brain is starting to melt 😵‍💫

Maybe you've had it under the tank? 😁

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Oxxa said:

Whats the best route?

I ran it to the handlbar, not the dash

Any way you want to run it that works is the best way.  I simply said you took the long way if you ran it past the ECU since the ECU is located under the left side rear plastics. 

4 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Any way you want to run it that works is the best way.  I simply said you took the long way if you ran it past the ECU since the ECU is located under the left side rear plastics. 

In the center, to the right of ecu

You’ll be fine @Oxxa, just don’t let it rest on anything hot. The main problems with electrics are getting the terminals wet causing corrosion, and more immediately, overloading with current. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Windblown said:

“Service Loop” - left long for repairs for when it melts…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1