Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Knackered OEM chain at 10,000 miles.

Dave D

Question

Having fully tested the amount of horsepower available from the CP2 engine over my first year of use I have a very notchy and noisy chain. Even a couple of part frozen links. Done regular lube every 100 - 200 miles or so. Is 10,000 miles a normal kind of wear period for the OEM chain do you think? Going Renthal sprockets and DID HD chain for the replacement. Thanks for any feedback.

8 answers to this question

57 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Having fully tested the amount of horsepower available from the CP2 engine over my first year of use I have a very notchy and noisy chain. Even a couple of part frozen links. Done regular lube every 100 - 200 miles or so. Is 10,000 miles a normal kind of wear period for the OEM chain do you think? Going Renthal sprockets and DID HD chain for the replacement. Thanks for any feedback.

I’d say if it has stiff or seized links it’s not been lubricated

correctly 

Edited by Lewie

2 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I’d say if it has stiff or seized links it’s not been lubricated

correctly 

I suspect more the (mis)use of a pressure washer.

• Like 2

lube it and ride it.  Chain guide is your friend, I run mine loose, over 32000km on it, still stock everything,  tight links dont affect anything that i can see or feel.

1 link went tight in the first 2000km, it has since loosened back up, i marked it with a paint pen.

I lube with rustchek, seems pretty good for my liking.

I got 18500 miles out of mine and it was shot. I replaced the chain and sprockets a month ago.

I had just checked mine today. 14,000 miles and it is fine.

Front sprocket is starting to show wear, but nothing bad.

Frozen links?? Stop cleaning your chain and change your lube.

In the good old days we didn't use some fancy $15 spray cans with some magical voodoo lube qualities.

Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki.... they all said 80w90 gear lube.

Yamaha says lube it every 600 miles or sooner

Put it on after a ride, let sit overnight, then wipe excess off.

Ya, it is messy but your spokes won't rust and you don't have to lube your kickstand!

Or just keep doing what you are doing and change the chain before 10,000 miles

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

14 hours ago, Dave D said:

Frozen links are almost always a rust issue. What kind of lube are you using?  I typically get 10-15k miles out of my chains on bikes that see a fair amount of dirt, sand & salt.  I lube now and then. When riding regionally I lube the chain with an oil based lube (not one of the dry lube products) at home after I wash the bike. Could be 200 miles, or 1000 miles if after a 3 day weekend.  Only long multi-day rides away from home I try to remember to lube the chain every 3-4 days.  Usually after I hear it getting more noisy than usual.

Regardless of how many miles you get though - change them proactively before they are well and truly done because breaking one while riding based on the photos I've seen is frequently ugly...

• Like 1

15K miles and looking good enough that I think I'll see 18-20K. If my chain isn't rotten dirty, I'll sometimes skip the clean, and just lube. Or take a dry brush to it before lubing. Very dirty gets a paraffin wash, and then a lube. Honestly I think the o-ring chains are so good today, you can almost do anything to them and still get decent wear. Maxima Chain Wax for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Ya, it is messy but your spokes won't rust and you don't have to lube your kickstand!

🤣🤣

That is one to look at it!!

I have put 11,000kms on the bike and had to adjust the chain only once. And nothing looks worn yet!

Having said that my CB500x never saw me adjust the chain tension in 30,000kms and barely any signs of wear & tear and I rode that thing hard!!!

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

Lost my post but to keep it short, the grease has gone from inside if the frozen links aren’t just dry o rings. As said, probably jet wash or just shite damaging it. 
I agree with @Hibobb, my spokes don’t rust either as I can’t be arsed cleaning the chain lube off 😂

oh yeah, if they are properly seized, swap em rapid. An exploding chain at the wrong time can be lethal, I’ve seen the damage caused.