Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

footpeg-to-seat height?

Discoveror

Might some kind soul measure and Reply with the footpeg-to-seat height? ... i.e to the stock seat.

Thanks in advance, as this will help me a LOT.

I measure 24.5" from the footpeg to the low point of the seat. lt is a Seat Concept seat, but it is the standard size.

38 minutes ago, mcbrien said:

I'm measuring 21'5 inches from peg to stock seat.

Sounds about right I have 23.5 approx on the rally seat

If you’re worried about seat height,and haven’t bought it yet, wait for the new lower travel version. 

unless you’re massive. Then wait for the extreme version. 

Edited by Dougie

My concern is standing from a >90* knee-bend.   Try standing from a >90* squat!  😜  ... without pulling on the handlebars (and risking a 'whiskey throttle'.   ... and being able to reach DOWN to the handlebar grips ... from a 35" inseam with 35" sleeves.   6'2" over most bikes leaves me hunching over.  😚

fyi:  for comparison, here's what I've collected so far:

handlebar peg to make model
to peg seat    

20.75   BMW G310GS

20.5 Honda CRF300L
26 18   CB500F
18 18   CRF450
17 18   MX125 Grom
15 17   Rebel

18 22.5 Kawasaki KLX300
18 20   KX450

20 KTM 390 Adventure

18 19 Royal Enfield Himalayan
22 17   Int650
25 17   Cont650
    20.5   Hunter 350in

21.5 Yamaha T7

Several dealer salesmen told me that most, especially dirt bike, frames are similar in size with bikes varying (in $price$) only by engine displacement.  Looking across rows of dirt bikes, that was clearly apparent.

Thanks, again, for taking a moment to measure and Reply, folks.

At 6’2”, my height, you’ll be fine with the original (+40mm)rally seat. One of the guys on here also has lowered pegs for the same reason. 

I'm 6'2" with 36" inseam.  Rally seat and -30mm pegs gives me the ergonomics I was looking for. I can still flat foot both feet at the same time. 

Flatfooting doesn't seem to be the/a problem for tall folks.  Standing on the footpegs and reaching the handlebar grips without being hunched over the front tire seems to be the tall folks challenge?

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 9:50 AM, Discoveror said:

Flatfooting doesn't seem to be the/a problem for tall folks.  Standing on the footpegs and reaching the handlebar grips without being hunched over the front tire seems to be the tall folks challenge?

Yeah.  Or being kind of bunched up - ignoring seat-to-ground height, the T7 is sort of set up for shorter riders with really high footpegs. As a tall rider, that gets your knees up high, which has several disadvantages:

Seated to standing transition becomes significantly more difficult, for one - this isn't a "oh it's too hard to stand up" whine, but rather when your up and down a lot over the course of a day riding it burns a LOT of energy needlessly and if you've got any kind of knee problems it's a serious issue.

When you are standing, you're way too high over the bike, so you can't hold it with your thighs.  This can compromise your stability on the bike, all the while...

...you're forced to bend over to reach the handlebars, which puts your butt back and shoulders forward too much, further compromising stability.  You can correct for this with bar risers, but that has the result of giving you kind of an ape hanger feeling while seated. Also, it is fiddly to keep the rider triangle correct as you don't want the bars moved back and up, but there's a limit to how far you can move the bars forward without compromising things too.

I run a Seat Concepts tall rally seat(+44mm), and lowered pegs (-30mm).

This gets me 74mm or roughly 3" more space between butt and foot.  While seated, the taller seat effectively *lowers* the handlebars giving a much sportier feeling which benefits the T7, as it does love a set of twisties.  Once you stand up.... Experiment by stacking 3" of books on a chair and standing vs normal for that chair, it's a HUGE difference.  But yeah, then standing, your shoulders are 30mm lower than stock, which gives you effectively 30mm raised handlebars, but also gives you 3" more bike to grab with your thighs.  Huge difference.

17 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yeah.  Or being kind of bunched up - ignoring seat-to-ground height, the T7 is sort of set up for shorter riders with really high footpegs. As a tall rider, that gets your knees up high, which has several disadvantages:

Seated to standing transition becomes significantly more difficult, for one - this isn't a "oh it's too hard to stand up" whine, but rather when your up and down a lot over the course of a day riding it burns a LOT of energy needlessly and if you've got any kind of knee problems it's a serious issue.

When you are standing, you're way too high over the bike, so you can't hold it with your thighs.  This can compromise your stability on the bike, all the while...

...you're forced to bend over to reach the handlebars, which puts your butt back and shoulders forward too much, further compromising stability.  You can correct for this with bar risers, but that has the result of giving you kind of an ape hanger feeling while seated. Also, it is fiddly to keep the rider triangle correct as you don't want the bars moved back and up, but there's a limit to how far you can move the bars forward without compromising things too.

I run a Seat Concepts tall rally seat(+44mm), and lowered pegs (-30mm).

This gets me 74mm or roughly 3" more space between butt and foot.  While seated, the taller seat effectively *lowers* the handlebars giving a much sportier feeling which benefits the T7, as it does love a set of twisties.  Once you stand up.... Experiment by stacking 3" of books on a chair and standing vs normal for that chair, it's a HUGE difference.  But yeah, then standing, your shoulders are 30mm lower than stock, which gives you effectively 30mm raised handlebars, but also gives you 3" more bike to grab with your thighs.  Huge difference.

Indeed, bikes (AND car seats) are made for some 'average' rider (whatever THAT is).  If you're not of 'average' anatomy, you're like a basketball player trying to be a horse jockey.

Since bike frames are fairly similarly sized, it seems that one has two options:  lower the pegs and/or raise the bars ... though most bar-risers follow the rake and bring the bars BACK toward the rider, exacerbating the problem.

I guess this is why basketball players just can't race horses?

Edited by Discoveror
  • Like 1

Can’t race whippets either. Tried. couldn’t keep up. They’re seriously fast. 

I’m thinking of getting the lower pegs next too. you are kinda hunched over when standing. That’s with risers too. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 11:56 AM, Dougie said:

Can’t race whippets either. Tried. couldn’t keep up. They’re seriously fast. 

I’m thinking of getting the lower pegs next too. you are kinda hunched over when standing. That’s with risers too. 

My 30mm dropped pegs are seriously the best mod I've ever made on a bike.  I wish I could do it on my Tracer without utterly destroying it's cornering ability, but I've broken off the feelers on the pegs already as it is.  

Can't recommend them enough.  It lets you experience the bike as it feels for someone several inches shorter.  For most of us tall bois, we don't know what we don't know - *All* bikes have been too short and cramped for us, so our "normal" is actually kind of bad. 

13 hours ago, Kiwi said:

@Wintersdark

Where did you get your lowered pegs please?

eBay ...

s-l300.png

🏍♥ We are motorcycle lovers 🏁. We provides qualified motorcycle replacement parts for bikers in the USA.

The pegs are well made and finished.  However, the lowering/adjusting  mechanism moves the pegs out from the bike ~3/4"; be mindful of that, as it will affect your foot grip into the bike when standing off-road.

• Like 1