Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How can I waterproof this GPS tracker?

Oxxa

Hello guys,

I bought the Pegase GPS tracker and it got water damaged under the seat, they sent me a new one but its obviously not waterproof…. 

its a really good GPS tracker, does everything i need it to and provides excellent anti theft features.

I need help for ideas on how to waterproof it.

thanks 

IMG_3846.jpeg

Heat shrink wrap or electrical tape and plastic bags. Or see what the local elec wholesaler has suitable 

Edited by Dougie

Plasti-dip then heat shrink be my choice

however that unit is rated to IP54 so once under seat should be no problems unless blasting it with power water or dropping it into a river

18 minutes ago, john_aero said:

Plasti-dip then heat shrink be my choice

however that unit is rated to IP54 so once under seat should be no problems unless blasting it with power water or dropping it into a river

Water can easily get through the cable hole. Its not protected at all

Sandwich baggie would be my go-to with a rubber band around the cable.   I keep my tag and insurance paperwork under the seat in a zip lock bag, been working for decades now. 

1 hour ago, Toymaster said:

Sandwich baggie would be my go-to with a rubber band around the cable.   I keep my tag and insurance paperwork under the seat in a zip lock bag, been working for decades now. 

I’d probably do this too but put a small silica bag in it too - like you get in new trainers- electrical tape around the wire exit hole 

how’s it powered?

1 hour ago, Oxxa said:

This doesn’t sound right 

An IP54 rating means that your product will be protected against contamination from limited amounts of dust and other particles. Additionally, you can be confident that it will be protected from water sprays from all directions”

Edited by Lewie

2 hours ago, Oxxa said:

Plasti-Dip its a liquid electrical tape and can be dipped, poured or painted on top all openings

however should be no openings if its IP54 rated

Use an empty juice box as a mould, hang the dongle in the juice box and fill with silicone caulking or something like that. Now it’s waterproof AND vibration proof! 

Edited by Samm