Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear caliper problem

Butcher

Question

Hello,

I have a question for you guys.

I recently changed my rear tire, it was my first time. When I put back the rear wheel, I realized later that the rear caliper was not in the track… the rear brake was in a 45 degré angle… I removed the rear wheel to instal it the right way but when I looked for any damage the brake pad just fell off the support and now it swing on its pin.. is it normal, did I loose a part, did I brake a part? 
thank you

IMG_3890.png

7 answers to this question

• Moderators

@Butcher Here's the procedure for installing brake pads.  No worries,  you're not the first guy to have that issue. 😉

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

So I just need to remove the pads, put back The wheel and reinstall the pad and they should hold on their place?

• Moderators

Yes. Following the procedure outlined in that link you'll be fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Ok i think there’s something missing? Nothing can hold the pads, am I right?

i did a error while installing it the last time and it’s not logical the whay it just float

IMG_3891.jpeg

9A88CAF3-2FA0-469D-839B-CD68020BD5B3.jpeg.5e2cd6b4065dc94a597b6d33d059c3d8.jpeg

The free swinging end of the pad will sit in this thin metal plate/tab. There will be a spot for the right and left pad and it should be pretty obvious if you’ve got the wheel and caliper on the bike and the floating portion of the caliper centred around the brake disk. If you’re installing pads with the wheel and caliper all bolted on then you need to slide the free swinging end of the pads into their little homes first then slide the pin through everything. 

Edited by Samm
  • Thanks 1

Great everything is fine and in its place

thats a lot 

• Like 2

Zip tie the caliper and you won’t need three hands to reassemble the rear wheel.