Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Red residue on chain/ sprocket- chain roller?

Lewie

Question

After 1200 miles in Europe I returned yesterday - noticed red residue on the chain and sprocket- any ideas?

could it be the bottom roller

i had noticed a ‘wo wo wo wo ‘ noise when coasting and low speed - sort of put it down to the tyres 

apart from that bike was fine 

C0ADCF28-8451-43E7-84AE-5DE798C7825D.jpeg

4 answers to this question

Just saw the pic attached.  Just service the chain and clean up the sprockets.  That chain looks fine.  Appears to be coming more from the rear chain ring (it’s steel) so I’d pay attention to your chain alignment and use a good chain lube and keep an eye on it!

Possibly the red or orange coating that forms on the surface of iron when exposed to air and moisture

• Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

What’s your chain tension like?  How often do you service your chain?  Usually red dust is coming from your chains rollers… how many miles?  Service the chain and inspect the o-rings.  If any of them are missing or coming apart it’s new chain time.  If it’s too tight that can easily destroy the rollers (red dust is the result of your chain rollers wearing excessively) Not saying it’s toast for sure, but an inspection and service are in order.   If it continues to puke red dust it’ll most likely continue to get loose on you as well (as the rollers wear more)   That will give you the answer you’re looking for.  People overlook their drive chain… but it’s a critical component that gets a lot of abuse.  If you’ve power washed your bike and blasted the chain- stop it.  If you haven’t and you service your chain regularly… it’s possible to get a bunk chain.  I’ve never had a bad DID o-ring chain (that’s what the tenere comes with) but it’s possible. Lots of factors in play.   

Thanks 3500 miles

just back from a 1200 mile trip so will get it up on the stand tomorrow- clean and lube 👍🏻