Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis handguards

£10Ray

Question

I've just fitted some Acerbis X-Factor hanguards which necessitate removing the oem bar weights. I'm now getting quite a lot of vibes and am experiencing numbness in my hands after only 20 mins or so.  Has anyone using these handguards (or any other after market brand) got a solution for damping the vibes? 

TIA

16 answers to this question

@£10Ray, I've fitted a set of Barkbusters to mine, which to all intents and purposes appear to be of a similar design, and also require the stock bar-end weights to be removed. I'm not feeling any additional vibes, in fact I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever.

I'd be inclined to suggest getting your front wheel balance checked, just in case its slightly off and was being 'masked' by the end-weights.

Tyres might be a factor if you are running something more knobbly. I'm still on the stock tyres which are well-mannered on the road (and pretty much useless off it!), so that might explain why I'm not seeing the same issue - I'll let you know when I get them changed!

If tyres are the cause then you could try new grips, perhaps foam rally grips?

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

I managed to refit the bar weights and attach the hanguards to the weights. Just off for a quick test ride to check all is well. 

Well, there is some vibration but much better.  Must be because there is a circuit for the vibes to go round - from bar end to handlebar mount to bar end etc etc.  Maybe some rubber washers to damp the vibes some more?  Time to get out the tap washer kit...

Hi Ray. I will be getting my acerbis guards next week. would also like to keep the bar wights mounted. did you have to change or modify the wights, bars or guards? cheers for the Input. Best from Germany.....

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 5:25 PM, 700 TÄTÄRÄ (Simon) said:

Hi Ray. I will be getting my acerbis guards next week. would also like to keep the bar wights mounted. did you have to change or modify the wights, bars or guards? cheers for the Input. Best from Germany.....

Not at all. You just need some shorter bolts than the ones supplied by acerbis to screw into the weights and Bob's your uncle. 

• Like 3

Here goes MichelP:

acerbis-17557-030-handschutz-b_gel-hebel

Handschutz Acerbis X-Factor Yamaha Tenere 700 - Handschutz Acerbis X-Factor inkl. speziellem Anbaukit für Yamaha Tenere 700 Ein schnittiger, sehr stabiler und langlebiger Handschutz der italienischen

Have fun!

• Like 1

Hi,

Can you confirm the Ref. of Acerbis X-factory that you have mount in your bike?....... 0022397.  You have put the Off The Road reference, but im nost sure if this is se same reference in ány other shop

Are there some special part for mount in our bike?

I don´t have de standar handlebar, i have change Rhental one

Edited by Canomball

On 2/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, £10Ray said:

I managed to refit the bar weights and attach the hanguards to the weights. Just off for a quick test ride to check all is well. 

Hi, I also have the acerbis x guards. I can get them to just fit with the bar ends but the bracket on the handle bar hits the tank, am I missing something???? 

Hi pound10Ray,

I have bought the same exact handguards, and issues with fitting brought me here :)

I like the way you put them on the end of the handlebar weight at the end. My issue is that the kit provided does not take into account the fact that the handlebar is tapered. How did you deal with that, and this screwing to the weight at the end helped with that. Also factory levers seem to be to long, this is another issue that i am having.

Any info would be appreciated.

Save riding

Also looking for more detail.  Wondering how you mounted the bracket from the bar of the guard to the actual bars.  With the stock bar end weight installed the bracket doesn't clear the front brake reservoir.  Otherwise clean fit on the clutch side.