Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Low speed noise like a slight grinding

AdvMotoJay

Just got the T7 a week ago and wanted to get it done up for an upcoming trip. Added Tusk Crash Bars, Acerbis bash plate, Chain guide and changed the oil. Took it out for a quick test spin and heard an almost grinding noise coming from the front ( I think) Stopped and put the bike in neutral and turned it off. With and without clutch pulled there was no noise when pushing or pulling the bike. Once I hit second hear or get a bit faster I don't hear it but that could just be due to the engine noise covering it up.

I don't see anything that looks like it could be rubbing but my first guess was something with the break pads and rotars. I don't see anything there though. 

Anyone have a suggestion as to were to even look or have this happen before. Thanks!!!

Have you removed the chain guard and listened for the noise? I would start there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Samm said:

Have you removed the chain guard and listened for the noise? I would start there.

Ditto. I can hear a slight noise from my Acerbis chain guide when going slow, especially when decelerating/coasting or only slightly accelerating.

Have a slow ride around your street/ parking lot without a helmet on. Or riding around somebody else. You should locate it a little easier. Logic says it probably is something added if it wasn’t doing it before. As said above, probably just the chain guide. 🍺

So I removed the chain guide and there was still a whirring/noise but pretty sure it's just the fan. There is noise when reinstalled the chain guide so pretty sure that is what it was. Thanks all it really sounded like it was coming from the front of the bike. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AdvMotoJay said:

Just got the T7 a week ago and wanted to get it done up for an upcoming trip. Added Tusk Crash Bars, Acerbis bash plate, Chain guide and changed the oil. Took it out for a quick test spin and heard an almost grinding noise coming from the front ( I think) Stopped and put the bike in neutral and turned it off. With and without clutch pulled there was no noise when pushing or pulling the bike. Once I hit second hear or get a bit faster I don't hear it but that could just be due to the engine noise covering it up.

I don't see anything that looks like it could be rubbing but my first guess was something with the break pads and rotars. I don't see anything there though. 

Anyone have a suggestion as to were to even look or have this happen before. Thanks!!!

You originally said that you thought a grinding sound was coming from the front...check the right front rotor to see if the caliper is touching the rotor...the right fork axle is a floating design whereby it is possible for the rotor to not be perfectly centered on the caliper & rub. 

• Like 1