Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What happens without a chain guide

mcbrien

Watched the video. Yes, a chain guide is important for offroad, I don't know why it isn't on from the factory.... Gurrr!!

I really wanted to comment of the well done video. Something struck me of the honesty of this guy. He would make a great riding buddy!!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

It's great to have but not a guarantee that you won't throw your chain. Pol Tarres lost his at Erzberg this year when he bumped the left side of his T7 with a chain guide installed. 

Greatly reduces the chances of a derail. And how many of us will do Erzberg?

• Like 3

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Is it the most important modification you can make? By any metric I can imagine, no it's not. Is it a good idea? Certainly not a bad one. 

On a separate subject: I was surprised he mentioned putting in a claim to his insurance company for the damage. If he didn't crash how is that an insurance claim? He said it happened while just going over a bump essentially.  Besides, if he did crash while participating in an offroad event (which is almost a "given" to occur) I'm surprised his insurance agreed to pick up the tab.  I would think they would have an exclusion  in the policy for that type of activity. 

@Windblown, it was the first item I added.

If you ever got a stick jammed between your chain and rear sprocket you would deem it very important?

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

11 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

@Windblown, it was the first item I added.

If you ever got a stick jammed between your chain and rear sprocket you would deem it very important?

I run a chain guide as well and agree it's important if riding in technical terrain but I'd rate stout handguards to protect hand controls in a fall, a decent skidplate to protect the motor from rocks, followed by some engine protection on the T700 in particular to all rate higher on the list.   

Why? Because for me the odds of me dumping the bike or banging the underside of the engine on embedded rocks and loose kickers are higher than the the odds of spitting the chain off the rear sprocket.  Admittedly that's mostly because I tend to fall down a lot and bash into stuff. 😉  

• Like 1

I also run a chain guide, but wanted to point out that it helps a lot but it cannot 100% guarantee you won't be throwing your chain.  If you look at Tarres' video, how he threw his could happen to anyone riding in terrain more difficult than two track. 

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you with a guide. Do all the road miles accelerate the wear of the chain guide? Asking cause every few yrs I have to replace them on my dirt bikes. Curious if you’re running higher speeds on road. Thanks.