Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 First Trip Review

RiderEh

Well I bought a T7 used recently, and this is my first trip review. I rode it a few short times prior, but I did a 600km overnight trip a few weeks ago.

I'm coming off a highly modified XR650R I dual sported and rode extensively, including the CDT. I'm an expert level hare scramble/XC/hard enduro guy, though I no longer race I was getting podiums in Expert years back.

The bike I bought had quite a few mods including:

K-Tech valving up front, with springs (not sure size), and 95Nm rear shock spring

OEM Center stand

OEM front and rear racks with paniers

OEM hard cases

Oxford grip heaters

MRA Tall windscreen

Gripes:

• So far I've decided I need to get rid of the center stand (bangs on rocks and whatever), and rear rack with hard boxes (clipped tree's and such on single track, way too wide and heavy). 
  • The play in the throttle which I can hopefully adjust,
  • Rear brake is awful, I'll buy a Camel
  • Still some buffering on windscreen, so I bought some cheap risers off Aliexpress
  • Clutch is awful, it releases only the last portion and engagement is not very linear, I'll get the Camel system
  • The paint wore off quickly where I grip with my boots, I may try some 3m tape
  • I think it needs better gearing for high speed as it gets quite vibratey at 100-120 kmh
  • Where's the kickstarter? (hah!)
  • The speedometer being off by 10% (I will leave as is as my trip odometer is very close to GPS, I'll use GPS for speed)
  • Not near as much power as my friends VStrom 800 DE I tried
  • Always having to shut off ABS on steep loose downhills
  • Seat is a bit stiff
  • handguards are a bit cheesey
  • where's the cruise control?

Wins: 

• Loved the oxford grips
  • Loved the torque and power
  • Love the ability to ride form home to fun destinations and not truck the bike
  • Loved the suspension, I'm a bit worried when I lose the weight in the rear my shock spring may be too stiff though? I could slam potholes and barely feeling them, even compared to the XR!
  • I enjoyed the large amount of luggage space of the hard cases, but I will switch to soft, likely Enduristan XL's. I have a GL Coyote I'll use until they come on sale.
  • The bike was much more nimble than I had imagined, and didn't have as much big girl feel to throw around as I thought it would. 

• Like 4

Good 1st ride review 'eh' (fellow Canuck)..a 16/46 (-6.7%) or 15/44 (-4.5%)  combo compliments the CP-2 motor well for most riding. I tried a 95 Nm Rally Raid spring & settled on a 90 Nm for my 99 kg or 220 lb weight with riding gear (FYI K-Tech springs are a little longer, resulting in more static preload, than the equivalent RR spring & perhaps others)...the oem Kayaba rear shock really benefits from re-valving & Showa piston replacement or full upgrade...the throttle play can be improved, see my 3 year review for info on that & other tweaks/upgrades you mentioned if interested 

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 5:54 PM, RiderEh said:

Well I bought a T7 used recently, and this is my first trip review. I rode it a few short times prior, but I did a 600km overnight trip a few weeks ago.

I'm coming off a highly modified XR650R I dual sported and rode extensively, including the CDT. I'm an expert level hare scramble/XC/hard enduro guy, though I no longer race I was getting podiums in Expert years back.

K-Tech valving up front, with springs (not sure size), and 95Nm rear shock spring

OEM Center stand

OEM hard cases

Oxford grip heaters

MRA Tall windscreen

Gripes:

• So far I've decided I need to get rid of the center stand (bangs on rocks and whatever), and rear rack with hard boxes (clipped tree's and such on single track, way too wide and heavy). 
  • Still some buffering on windscreen, so I bought some cheap risers off Aliexpress
  • Clutch is awful, it releases only the last portion and engagement is not very linear, I'll get the Camel system
  • I think it needs better gearing for high speed as it gets quite vibratey at 100-120 kmh
  • The speedometer being off by 10% (I will leave as is as my trip odometer is very close to GPS, I'll use GPS for speed)
  • Seat is a bit stiff

Wins: 

• Loved the oxford grips
  • Loved the suspension, I'm a bit worried when I lose the weight in the rear my shock spring may be too stiff though? I could slam potholes and barely feeling them, even compared to the XR!
  • I enjoyed the large amount of luggage space of the hard cases, but I will switch to soft, likely Enduristan XL's. I have a GL Coyote I'll use until they come on sale.
  • The bike was much more nimble than I had imagined, and didn't have as much big girl feel to throw around as I thought it would. 

for better high speed gearing, installing a 16T sprocket upfront is the easiest and most common mod. I have done it and can sit at 80-85 mph for 12 hr days no problem. Unless you do technical enduro, it'll have no ill effect either. 

Thanks. I was thinking 16T as well but wondered if it gave up too much in 1st gear more tech.

I should also mention I found the stock pegs fine, forgot to add that to my review.

I'll check out that 3 year review as well!

• Premium Member
On 7/7/2023 at 3:43 PM, RiderEh said:

Thanks. I was thinking 16T as well but wondered if it gave up too much in 1st gear more tech.

I should also mention I found the stock pegs fine, forgot to add that to my review.

I'll check out that 3 year review as well!

45T rear sprocket is better than upping the front. Yam OEM rack weights 12kg, I swapped mine to Alloy Adventure Spec one.

31 minutes ago, Noel McCutcheon said:

45T rear sprocket is better than upping the front. Yam OEM rack weights 12kg, I swapped mine to Alloy Adventure Spec one.

That is what RayRide4Life always said as well.  The perfect compromise between stock and a 16T front sprocket.  When I replace, I will be going 45T rear.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 7/11/2023 at 7:04 PM, roygilbo said:

That is what RayRide4Life always said as well.  The perfect compromise between stock and a 16T front sprocket.  When I replace, I will be going 45T rear.

Yep, I went 45T rear recently and it’s just the right small difference in the correct direction 👍

On 7/11/2023 at 11:32 AM, Noel McCutcheon said:

Wow that's heavy, thanks. I think I will ditch the racks and go with soft bags, likely Enduristan Blizzard XL's.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 12:54 PM, RiderEh said:

OEM Center stand

OEM hard cases

Oxford grip heaters

MRA Tall windscreen

Gripes:

• Seat is a bit stiff

Wins: 

• Loved the oxford grips

that’s cool man nice to meet y’a … You know your stuff for sure and you are fussy but with reason, i just purchased a 2023 T700 and you are right on pretty much everything a few preference  things that I might not agree with, but the rest totally I just made the first  550km on mine … the most annoying thing for me is definitely the ABS … they should’ve put it on a push button that you can deactivate while driving.  

Edited by maddog123