Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Swapping auxiliary connectors altogether

Luke_R

Hi all, I am going to wire my Garmin Zumo to the aux wires in the right hand side of the bike. Haven't done anything like this before as all my previous bikes where old, aircooled, carburetted dirtbikes with no stator output.

I have noticed a lot of people struggling to find a corresponding plug for the Tenere`s factory aux connectors.

Is there any reason that I cant just remove the factory plug and wire in an entirely different connector altogether?

Something like this 3 pin waterproof automotive connectors available in-store at any car parts store (pictured)?

Thanks

narva-57523bl-1.jpg

You will want to connect to the 2-pin on the RHS for your GPS. It shares a 2-amp fuse with the 2-pin on the LHS that is connected to the cigarette lighter. Only use the cig-lighter socket for USB charger. Moto-compressors will blow the fuse.

The 3-pin connectors on left and right share a 10-amp fuse. Use the 3-pin on LHS for heated grips. I used the 3-pin on RHS for a DIN socket to power heated vest / jacket.

Use whatever connectors you can get your hands on, or, Eastern Beaver has connectors and pigtails to make your life easy.

Edited by Black99S

58 minutes ago, Black99S said:

You will want to connect to the 2-pin on the RHS for your GPS. It shares a 2-amp fuse with the 2-pin on the LHS that is connected to the cigarette lighter. Only use the cig-lighter socket for USB charger. Moto-compressors will blow the fuse.

The 3-pin connectors on left and right share a 10-amp fuse. Use the 3-pin on LHS for heated grips. I used the 3-pin on RHS for a DIN socket to power heated vest / jacket.

Use whatever connectors you can get your hands on, or, Eastern Beaver has connectors and pigtails to make your life easy.

Hi Black99S. Sorry for being dumb but do you have any pictures of the 2 pin Vs 3 pin connector locations? I want to add a 12 V auxillary cigarette style power outlet (to the right hand side) to the 10 amp circuit (I believe the standard one on the left hand side is only 2 amp?).

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Hi Black99S. Sorry for being dumb but do you have any pictures of the 2 pin Vs 3 pin connector locations? I want to add a 12 V auxillary cigarette style power outlet (to the right hand side) to the 10 amp circuit (I believe the standard one on the left hand side is only 2 amp?).

Cheers.

Check out further down my in post here for pics

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Moved from General Discussion.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

10 hours ago, Neil said:

Cheers.

Hi Neil.  Check the service manual, cable routing, pages 2-17 and 2-21 for connector locations. Pics attached.

You could just wire the left hand side Cig socket to the left side 3-pin.

Yes, the two 2-pin connectors share a 2-amp fuse and the two 3-pin connectors share a 10-amp fuse.

Personally I have:

1.  a fused  SAE lead direct to my battery that I use for battery maintenance charger and for my air compressor

2. a dual USB charger I plug into the 2-amp OEM Cig socket to charge stuff in my tank bag

3. a DIN socket on right side of dash wired to the right side 3-pin I use for heated jacket

4. Garmin Zumo XT cradle wired to the right side 2-pin 

5. Yamaha heated grips wired to the left side 3-pin 

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 08.49.40.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 08.50.09.png

• Thanks 2

Didn't realize those connectors were commonly available so I went even more basic and swapped all the aux connectors with weather resistant blade terminals. They're pretty well tucked away and you can always jam a wire in and tape it up if you need to!

advgoats.com

• 3 weeks later...