Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Reality Check on Rally Raid Spring…

Zebco Kid

Hello All,

I’m trying to figure out what I have on my hands…or not as the case may be.

I couldn’t seem to get the OEM spring to adjust properly with the weight I was carrying, so I installed a 95N/mm spring.

If I understand the specs properly, the Tenere has a rear shock with 200 mm of travel.

I lifted the bike, on the center stand and measured 62.5mm from the center of the axle to a spot directly vertical below the seat.

I made the  measurement with zero clicks (fully counter clockwise).

I then loaded my camping gear, along with my boots and riding suit and helmet.

Taking it off the center stand, and sitting on the bike, I had a measurement of 56mm

I believe (from what I’ve viewed and read) that my target measurement is 30% of the 200mm travel. That figure would be 60mm.

I started at 56mm, and as I turned the preload adjuster clockwise, the best I could do was 58.5. And…this was with the preload adjuster fully turned….with no more clicks available.

My gear and I weigh 217. This doesn’t include the crash bars and bash plate.

I feel/think something isn’t right.

Can you help me? 

Thank you.

David

Hey David, I remember the preload adjuster to be very inefficient (running a different shock now). This might be the reason why you're still getting a little bit too much sag.

Another possibility is too much friction in the linkage and/or shock assembly - this would mean the shock's rebound force can't overcome the friction forces and raise the rear once you've compressed it with your weight.

You could check this by having a buddy slightly lift the rear while you are sitting on it, then slowly (!) releasing the rear. It should settle at the same height as before when there is not too much friction. If it settles more than 58.5mm, it's a sign of too much friction. I'd check/regrease the rear linkage bolts in this case first.

Usually, this kind of "sticky suspension" phenomenon occurs on the forks though, so not sure if this causes the problems in your case.

Jan

Thank you! I’m not so good at the mechanics…although I try. Perhaps it’s time to visit a suspension professional. 

Much obliged,

David

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zebco Kid said:

Thank you! I’m not so good at the mechanics…although I try. Perhaps it’s time to visit a suspension professional. 

Much obliged,

David

It's quite easy as long as you have a centerstand or a scissor jack. See this video from @NomadSweden:

OK…I watched the video. I think I am up for that. I’ll give it a whirl. Regardless of whether that’s the culprit, it looks like something that needs attention. Thank you!

David

IMG_4754.jpeg.f7a920f17736f5ec12c2308e9aa90d54.jpeg

• Like 2

@Zebco Kid, I am a bit confused. 

Are you measuring in cm or mm?

I'm thinking your sag with no preload is 62.5-56=6.5cm=65mm=32.5%

With full preload it is 62.5-58.5=4cm=40mm=20%

I would be happy with those figures as long as that is your minimum weight configuration.  FWIW, I have a 90N/mm spring on a Rally Raid (Tractive) shock, weigh a bit more than you, and currently have my sag set at 32%.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

@Zebco Kid, I am a bit confused. 

Are you measuring in cm or mm?

I'm thinking your sag with no preload is 62.5-56=6.5cm=65mm=32.5%

With full preload it is 62.5-58.5=4cm=40mm=20%

I would be happy with those figures as long as that is your minimum weight configuration.  FWIW, I have a 90N/mm spring on a Rally Raid (Tractive) shock, weigh a bit more than you, and currently have my sag set at 32%.

Very good point mate 😅

Hollybrook,

A quick anecdote and a question:

Im 59. There was a time in the early 70s when the USA gave metric “a chance.” I  think Nixon was president at the time. Actually, I don’t think we tried for more than 6 months. The people said, no friggin way…it’s so complicated. Ha! So I guess I’m a product/victim of that history. I think your instincts are good. Thank you. 

My question is, what do you mean by, “I would be happy with those figures as long as that is your minimum weight  configuration.”

1 hour ago, Zebco Kid said:

Hollybrook,

A quick anecdote and a question:

Im 59. There was a time in the early 70s when the USA gave metric “a chance.” I  think Nixon was president at the time. Actually, I don’t think we tried for more than 6 months. The people said, no friggin way…it’s so complicated. Ha! So I guess I’m a product/victim of that history. I think your instincts are good. Thank you. 

My question is, what do you mean by, “I would be happy with those figures as long as that is your minimum weight  configuration.”

The difference between your two measurements is your sag.

As Holybrook stated we are guessing your measurements are in centimetres.

62.5cm=625mm from the axle to your spot below the seat.

The bike loaded is 56cm =560mm

625-560= 65mm of sag. (the bike is dropping 65mm)

When you cranked up the preload it should reduce the sag of the bike which is exactly what it did.

625mm-585mm= 40mm of sag.

So the correct preload to get 30%(60mm) is somewhere between the minimum and maximum preload setting.

The preload adjuster is has approx 10mm of adjustment, and the adjuster has around 24 clicks of preload, each click on the adjuster compresses the spring approx 1mm.

When you added 10mm of preload you reduced the sag by 25mm.

So back your preload adjuster out to the minimum and then add 6 or 7 clicks of preload. Measure the distance again and you should get something pretty close to 565mm.   625mm-565mm=60mm sag.

You may need to adjust but this should get you pretty close to start.

I would say you have the perfect spring rate for your weight.  There is lots of adjustment left if you ever carry a passenger or load the bike up with even more gear.

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 2

Thank you so very much Tenerider, Hollybrook, and Williestreet.

I understand perfectly.

With gratitude,

David

• Like 3

• Moderators

Great work here guys. In less than 24 hrs, @Zebco Kid got his question answered complete with a detailed explanation.  Kudos to @Tenerider, @Hollybrook & @williestreet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

17 hours ago, Zebco Kid said:

@Zebco KidFor me the optimum spring weight lets me get to my desired sag with just a little preload cranked in when I am on the bike with no luggage. That way, I have lots of preload available to correct the sag when I add the weight of luggage. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

@Zebco KidFor me the optimum spring weight lets me get to my desired sag with just a little preload cranked in when I am on the bike with no luggage. That way, I have lots of preload available to correct the sag when I add the weight of luggage. 

Agree!

• Like 1